Are collared wolves protected?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Are collared wolves protected?

Post by roguemoon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:31 pm

Are wolves with radio collars protected from hunters? It makes sense to me that they would since they're being studied for science, but I'm not sure. I've read sources that say they are and others that say they aren't.

"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Are collared wolves protected?

Post by Koa » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:56 pm

I think in the U.S. it depends on the state
Idaho FIsh and Game does not mention anything about illegality; it simply asks hunters to check in and return radio collars.
https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/do ... bgWolf.pdf
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Hmm interesting. Do you know about the laws in Canada regarding hunting collared wolves?

_Nimbus_
Pup
Pup

Post by _Nimbus_ » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:31 pm

From the past, It seems that animals that are collared and/or part of a study seem to be protected more than ones not.
Shh, shh, do you hear that? Those are the winds of change.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:36 pm

roguemoon wrote:Hmm interesting. Do you know about the laws in Canada regarding hunting collared wolves?
Here it mentions that hunters should refrain from shooting collared elk or deer. Wolf hunting is mentioned but states no restrictions or penalties against collared animals. And here I'm assuming it means all radio-collared animals when it asks for refrain, though it appears no penalties are defined if an animal with a radio collar is shot. I'd say no. It seems they want the collar to be returned so that they can collect the information gathered.
_Nimbus_ wrote:From the past, It seems that animals that are collared and/or part of a study seem to be protected more than ones not.
No. It's not that they're more protected-- people just get wound up more whenever a collared animal is shot. Case in point: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70007

They have no protections-- it might be encouraged not to shoot collared animals, but that's all.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:53 pm

Good to know, thanks Koa! It's a bit of a shame in my opinion, since the collared wolves are being studied for scientific purposes. So even though hunters are advised against it there's still a risk of them being shot and therefore they are no longer able to be studied, it's a bit of a loss to science really. But at the very least they're a bit less likely to be hunted.

Thank you!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:55 pm

roguemoon wrote:Good to know, thanks Koa! It's a bit of a shame in my opinion, since the collared wolves are being studied for scientific purposes. So even though hunters are advised against it there's still a risk of them being shot and therefore they are no longer able to be studied, it's a bit of a loss to science really. But at the very least they're a bit less likely to be hunted.

Thank you!
Feel free to start up an opinion thread in General Wolf Discussion if you want to talk about it. That might liven it up again.

You're welcome.
Topic locked.

Return to “Wolf Q&A”