wolves & parasites

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

wolves & parasites

Post by twinlinskis » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:30 pm

hey guys. i was just wondering what forms of internal parasites can wolves be affected by? i know that tapeworms and ringworms are something that are common in wolves/canines in general, but are there others that have been documented? can they die by a parasitic infection? and can common parasitic infections become fatal after a certain time has elapsed once exposed to the larvae (which then leads to fully developed parasites, then the chance of becoming infected with more larvae)? idk if this makes sense so feel free to yell at me to elaborate or something lol. thanks in advance
............ ............
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
sig © twinlinskis

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

Re: wolves & parasites

Post by twinlinskis » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:25 pm

interesting! i figured if a starving/sick wolf were to become a host for a parasite, then it would be likely that they would fall even more ill or die due to the parasite taking away from what the wolf was ingesting. so i guess if there are multiple, say, tapeworms within a wolf, would that cause it to slowly die due to lack of nutrition? or perhaps a blockage in the intestines since that's where they usually stay? alsoooo, do the parasites die in the wolf, or do they stay alive so long as their host stays alive?
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
sig © twinlinskis

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Re: wolves & parasites

Post by La Striata » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:44 pm

These videos should help (I think it goes without saying that they're quite gross):

Tapeworm

Roundworm

I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous