Wolf Eyes

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Wolf Eyes

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:41 am

Wolf Eyes

I've always had trouble understanding the visible structure of a wolf's eye.
In pictures and videos, it seems that eye lids and skin surrounding the eye
is black and very tight, so that only the yellow iris and pupil are visible,
and almost none of the white sclera. I've noticed that the iris seems to
fade to black around its outer edges, which may contribute to this effect.
But otherwise, what is the black area surrounding a wolf's eye? As far as I
know, most dog's don't have the same thing. Furthermore, if this black bit
is the constricted outer eye, does it move with the wolf's eye ball, or does
the wolf have to move its entire head in order to look different directions?
I realize this is a silly question, and it might not make much sense. To
someone who has handled a wolf up close and in person, it's probably not
even an issue. But it makes drawing/animating a wolf really frustrating.

Thank you!

- Klak Klak

LonerWhiteWolf
Pup
Pup

Re: Wolf Eyes

Post by LonerWhiteWolf » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:43 pm

I have never ever seen wolves eye balls up close.. and im not even goos at drawing wolves eyes O.O but im starting to, yea good question (: if you find out about the wolves eye structure tell me, cause i want to start drawing real wolves so now that you bring that up i need to know :o THANKSS
<.< expect the unexpected >.>

Don’t drink and drive, cause you might hit a bump and spill. C:
Ha.

Dawny
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Dawny » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:47 pm

Im not really good at the eyes but i bet these are some of the colors.
Black
Yellow (mabey)
Green

thats mostly what i know
)
.........(\_
((.... _/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. ;._ \\
Yayerz for wolves ^.^

ShadowRanger
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ShadowRanger » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:52 pm

As far as I know a wolfs' eyes can move independently of the head like ours. So they don't have to completely turn their head like an owl does. Thats the whole reason an owl has learned to move its head about 180 degrees so that it can see all around itself.
And by the black part do you mean the black skin surrounding the eye or the black on the outer edges of the eye itself?
~Move swiftly...Leave only Tracks~

wind
Pup
Pup

Post by wind » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:55 pm

Wolves have relatively poor frontal vision. They may not be able to recognize members of their own pack beyond 100 to 150 feet. This is possibly one reason why the wolf mask accents their facial features and ears so greatly.
Their myopia evidently stems from the absence of the ®fovea centralis, the tiny pit at the back, center of the retina which, in humans, primates and some other animals provides the point of sharpest vision.
Just how clearly a wolf sees when looking directly at an object is, of course, impossible to know, but it seems evident that beyond a short distance their vision must be somewhat blurred, rather like that of a photograph taken with a wide-open lens at a slow shutter speed, as opposed to an exposure taken with the smallest lens aperture at a fast speed.
Nevertheless, wolves can see shapes and, especially, movement over long distances, and their peripheral vision is extremely accurate.
They are able to detect even the slightest movements of very small animals, such as a mosquito, at a distance of more than ten feet and the movement of larger animals at considerable distances.
There is some controversy as to whether wolves see in color or black and white. Regardless, it is unlikely that they see the various hues of the spectrum as humans see them, because the physical makeup of the eye is different.
Nighttime vision for wolves is many times better than human vision in the day or night. Wolves can actually see much better and even much more clearly at night.

Hopes that helps, I got that off some website about wolven eyesight

AHH If your talking about just around the eye the part that looks like eyeliner, thats could actually be what is called 'physical makeup' What it does is...

The wolf's mask is made to draw attention to the eyes since eye contact is so important with the wolf. The way the fur falls around the eyes accents the eyes, making them look much larger than they are.
Their pawprints lead you along the trails of discovery and insight.
To look in their eyes, forever imprints your heart.
To hear their howls, forever marks your soul.
To connect with them, forever bonds your spirits.

www1.freewebs.com/midnightswind

wind
Pup
Pup

Post by wind » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:21 pm

wind wrote: AHH If your talking about just around the eye the part that looks like eyeliner, thats could actually be what is called 'physical makeup' What it does is...
The wolf's mask is made to draw attention to the eyes since eye contact is so important with the wolf. The way the fur falls around the eyes accents the eyes, making them look much larger than they are.
One of the most useful expressions of an alpha wolf is the "fixed stare," or glare. Often, all an alpha has to do is stare at a subordinate wolf, and that animal will immediately cringe, turn, and slink away. The glare is an alpha's way of controlling subordinate pack members.

As sometimes a subordinate is an alpha that lost its posistion to power, the attraction towards the eyes for the wolf is sorta like

but yeah its just physical makeup to draw attention to the wolf.

To answer the other question, the black eyeliner is like attached to the 'face' of the wolf not the eyeball so it doesn't move around when the wolf moves his eyes from side to side, They do turn their head but for the most part the wolf 'listens' to things. Since their sense of hearing is like 100x better then a human, a wolf can hear up to 6 miles away.

Unfortunately I've seen a wolf up close even petted one, not which I approve of the situation the poor thing is, but it was more then 98% wolf. So yeah I sorta can confirm that info..
Their pawprints lead you along the trails of discovery and insight.
To look in their eyes, forever imprints your heart.
To hear their howls, forever marks your soul.
To connect with them, forever bonds your spirits.

www1.freewebs.com/midnightswind

Aura-Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Aura-Wolf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:28 pm

I know that wolf eyes rotate the way humans do so they don't necassarily have to turn their head to look in different directions. Im also working on wolf eye structure so I can draw realistic wolves! :D
~Hearts Bound Together Shall Never Be Torn Apart~

H.O.W.L
Help
Our
Wolves
Live

Proud Community Member of WolfQuest!

Soul Voice Pack

Wolf With No Mate

~Shoot For The Moon. Even If You Miss, You'll Land Among The Stars~

Aura-Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Aura-Wolf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Iv'e also noticed that they use their body language the most since their frontal eye site is poor, so body language is vital including sense of smell.
~Hearts Bound Together Shall Never Be Torn Apart~

H.O.W.L
Help
Our
Wolves
Live

Proud Community Member of WolfQuest!

Soul Voice Pack

Wolf With No Mate

~Shoot For The Moon. Even If You Miss, You'll Land Among The Stars~

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:46 pm

Aura-Wolf, please do not bump old/dead topics. This topic hasn't been posted in since 2007. Also, do not double post; next time simply edit your last post instead of making one right after it ;)

-locked-
This account is no longer active.

New account: Sheeba Wolf

Return to “Wolf Q&A”