at what approximate age do wolves lose their puppy fuz?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Kenai Wolf
Pup
Pup

at what approximate age do wolves lose their puppy fuz?

Post by Kenai Wolf » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:38 pm

If you looked at, say the pictures of denali and aiden at the IWC's site w/ their old and new portraits, you'll have seen how before they were round and fuzzy with very short snouts and how they now look like... miniature wolves. At what approximate age is the change most profound? I'm assuming about a couple months but as far as I've looked to verify, I can;t find anything about it.
old & new DA accounts: avan-c-lupus.deviantart.com , avan-clarctos.deviantart.com
Wolves! :3
//starting to upload more art now//

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: at what approximate age do wolves lose their puppy fuz?

Post by king1-7 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:02 pm

Got it:
he pups’ eyes and ears open at around two weeks. They grow very fast and by three weeks they can crawl; by four they can walk. Pups as young as two weeks old have been known to howl! By six weeks they are exploring the area around the den; by eight weeks they are tasting pre-chewed meat regurgitated for them by adult pack members. They will be moved out of the den and stay at "rendezvous sites" out in the open, perhaps babysat by a low-ranking adult wolf, while they wait for the hunting adults to return. The layer of guard hairs which will give their coats their adult color begins to grow in around this time. By nine months old, the pups are eating meat, hunting small prey, and are almost as big as the adults, but they will not be completely adult until they are two years old.
http://www.wolfpark.org/wolffaq.html#puppies
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

foxwolfhybridO_O
Pup
Pup

Post by foxwolfhybridO_O » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:53 pm

it said that the guard hairs that give the ADULT COLOR grow in at that time,
does that mean a normal-colored pup can grow to be white or black or a misc.
different color and also is there such thing as a white puppy wolf or black
A pen is a better weapon than a sword. No one expects you to attack them with a pen.

Amazing avatar by Fidd!
♥♥♥♥♥♥

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:50 am

King 1-7 had it right in the reply re: when pups lose their "puppy fuzz" - basically by 6-8 months of age, it can be nearly impossible to tell them apart by their "look" based on coat and not physical size.

I am confused by what you mean by "normal colored" in your last post. There are a variety of coat colors, depending on what subspecies a gray wolf may be, as well as individual differences within the subspecies. All pups are born dark colored, and then change into their coat color as they get older-based on genetics of their parents.

I hope that answers your question.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

x-Riley-x
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by x-Riley-x » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:09 am

I bet you already have an answer and i think mine is wrong but, wouldn't they get rid of the "puppy fuzz" at least some time before their first winter. I know that by then they look like the adults. Plus getting rid of the "puppy fuzz" and getting an adult or winter coat will help them stay warm in the winter.
I M A G I N E . D R A G O N S
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
--Now don't you understand.
'I'm never changing who I am.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Return to “Wolf Q&A”