Wolves Spreading Around the US!!

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Spirithowl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Why do we kill people that kill people to show that killing is wrong?

Wolves Spreading Around the US!!

Post by Spirithowl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:11 am

Sometime soon, perhaps within the next couple of years, gray wolves will make their way across mountains, valleys and streams into Northern California looking for new territory.

Wolf experts believe they're already on their way.

The migration is all but inevitable, wolf lovers believe, as inevitable as the push westward by humans searching for new lives.

To prepare for the wolves' stealthy arrival, an environmental group, Defenders of Wildlife, has petitioned the federal government to designate 16 million acres of national forests and parks in Northern California and southern Oregon as suitable wolf habitat for study and management purposes. They say the area -- a swath of land nearly twice the size of New Jersey -- could support as many as 500 gray wolves.

But the prospect of gray wolves (Canis lupus) returning to lands where they have been extirpated -- trapped and shot -- since the early 1920s is provoking conniption fits in many parts of the Klamath-Siskiyou region of Northern California, particularly among some of the region's sheep and cattle ranchers.

Backed by studies by biologists and historians showing that wolves once roamed throughout much of California, wolf advocates insist the animals are good for the environment: Wolves create balance in the ecosystem by, for example, dispatching coyotes and aging elk. Additionally, they argue, wolves would be a natural magnet, as they have been at Yellowstone National Park, for eco-tourists hoping at least to hear an authentic wolf howl or two.

For some ranchers in these economically depressed areas, however, the wolf is fast establishing itself as the icon of their twin tormentors: the faceless federal government and the effete, tree-hugging environmentalists.

ANGRY RESIDENTS
Residents are already so angry over federal efforts to protect the spotted owl, the coho salmon and two species of sucker fish -- efforts they say have hurt their livelihoods -- that some are calling for secession. Siskiyou County is sprinkled with signs proclaiming it the independent state of Jefferson, a movement with roots in the early 1940s.

They are in no mood to greet still another endangered species into their midst, particularly the wolf, which some recall their great granddaddies going to great effort to exterminate.

Ranchers, in particular, fear that wolves will turn to their livestock for survival, primarily picking off calves.

"To be honest I think it's stupid to bring wolves in these parts," said Harvey Hagedorn, 67, whose family has ranched near Yreka for more than a century. "Wolves need to eat something, which is usually deer, but the deer population is already way down thanks to the overpopulation of the cougar," which has been protected since 1990.

Scientists who study wolf migration patterns say sightings of wolves in Washington and in Oregon are clear evidence that they are headed into the Southern Oregon-Northern California region. In the last few years, environmentalists say, at least three wolves have made their way into eastern Oregon from Idaho. Two were killed by cars. One was shot, illegally. The wolves in Washington had made their way down from Canada.

Environmentalists, worried about the possibility of ranchers and hunters shooting the first wolf arrivals to the area, intend to weigh in heavily when the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service decides within the next few months whether to reduce protections for the gray wolf in California and other states.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That along with the other 'wolves spotted in utah' topic, wolves are now on the move back into old territories that they inhabbited before humans drove them out. I hope that they will be able to live there! I'm moving to California!!! :D
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

This icon is trying to lick its elbow. Yes, I know icons don't have elbows but this one is determined.

Don't knock on death's door. Ring the doorbell and run; he hates that.

Feris
Pup
Pup
Location: WQ Don't like my last location. So I'm not gonna make one.

Re: Wolves Spreading Around the US!!

Post by Feris » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:37 pm

That is probably a bad thing, if wolves spread around the U.S. they will be taken off the Endangered species list which means "Wolf Hunting Season Open" and wolves will be a nuisance to farmers killing there livestock and such, so the wolf population could take a hit for over-population, not that that's a problem now,
If you find me in the Game
I'll be known as
V ~ Victorious
L ~ Legendary
A ~ Adventurous
D ~ Daring

's Are Awesome!

Follow the 'Wolves of a Thousand Eyes' adventures here! - http://wolvesstoryboards.blogspot.com/

Beta male of Perfect^Insanity!
Join Perfect^Insanity here! ~ http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20713

Redwolf
Pup
Pup
Location: One in a full moon, I shall come forth from the depths of hell with the desire to kill.

Post by Redwolf » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:39 pm

I agree with Feris.

Also, could you add a source for your information?

Plagerism is wrong =3

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:07 pm

you need to post where you got this article from...as I`m sure you didn`t write this yourself.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Spirithowl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Spirithowl » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:34 pm

I got it from a googled wolf search, it was Wolf population Around the United States.

This icon is trying to lick its elbow. Yes, I know icons don't have elbows but this one is determined.

April

Post by April » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:08 pm

Being taken off the endangered speceis list is good. Why did we put them on there in the first place? Why are we having sanctuarys? Our purpose is to get them off the endangered speceis list. It is a good thing. And I know they will start hunting them again, but all animals that aren't endangered are hunted, so I don't see any reason why wolves shouldn't be either. Besides, it's not like they are going to die out if they start getting hunted again. There are still sanctuaries protecting them.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Jwb187
Pup
Pup

Post by Jwb187 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:44 pm

I'm new here so, hi, but any way, I agree with April. To manage any ecosystem hunting is necessary.
Come join the Snow Powder Runs Pack Now!!!
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a

April

Post by April » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:18 pm

Jwb187 wrote:I'm new here so, hi, but any way, I agree with April. To manage any ecosystem hunting is necessary.
Well I don't think hunting by humans is the same as the hunting as animals, but sancuaries are made to get wolves off the endangered speceis list. It is good, and do you rather they are rare and endangered and protected or do you rather that they are abundant and some are hunted?
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

~April~

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Jwb187
Pup
Pup

Post by Jwb187 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:24 pm

I believe human hunting is necessary to manage ecosystems, at least when the population is already out of control. Such as deer here in the US.

April

Post by April » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Jwb187 wrote:I believe human hunting is necessary to manage ecosystems, at least when the population is already out of control. Such as deer here in the US.

I don't think with wolves though. I don't think there have ever been too populated place with wolves.

~April~

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Jwb187
Pup
Pup

Post by Jwb187 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:29 pm

That is true, but the problem with livestock...that worries me. I can't think of any other way to solve that without killing the wolves. :(

April

Post by April » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Jwb187 wrote:That is true, but the problem with livestock...that worries me. I can't think of any other way to solve that without killing the wolves. :(

Perhaps you could ship them far away where they probably won't come back. Or put them in a sanctuary, or a zoo.

~April~

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Jwb187
Pup
Pup

Post by Jwb187 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:57 pm

But then there would be barely any wild wolves, with farmers and livestock owners all over the western US sendng wolves to zoos.

Spirithowl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Spirithowl » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:43 am

Hunting is good, but over hunting is bad. Hunting wolves once they get too numerous and out of control is a good thing to keep the population down, even though I don't want to kill anything, much less a wolf. Over hunting is bad, because it could almost wipe them entirely out. We need to help over hunting stop, and only hunt for resonable purposes.

Jwb187
Pup
Pup

Post by Jwb187 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:59 pm

That is what I'm trying to say...managed hunting is good for over populated animal species.

Return to “Wolf Conservation”