Echo of Wolf Park, 1992-2009

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Echo of Wolf Park, 1992-2009

Post by Midnight Snow » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 am

I have gotten the sad news from Monty Sloan, working at Wolf Park, that their wolf Echo has passed away from us.

Here is a short obituary from the Wolf Park website:

Wolf Park wrote:Echo
April 21, 1992 - May 19, 2009

Echo, who turned 17 last month, was peacefully euthanized on Tuesday morning, May 19. She was in her own pen, surrounded by people she knew, and who loved her. In recent days she had gone from being willing to eat if we could figure out what food she wanted on a particular day, to her losing interest in eating anything at all. But she appeared to be in no pain. She still liked visits from people she knew, and being stroked and massaged. Her puppy mother, Lois Shriver, was able to be present for her final moments. Echo roused and recognized Lois when she heard her voice.

They were able to enjoy a greeting that was also a goodbye.

Echo was the last surviving offspring of Vega and Akili. She and her brother Ulrich were donated to a wildlife facility in New York State in 1992. When it closed, she and Ulrich lived at a zoo in New York for several years. After Ulrich’s death, Lois, who kept track of them the whole time, was instrumental in seeing that Echo got back to Wolf Park to live out the rest of her life where she was born. Thanks to the support of sponsors and all our members, we were able to provide her with a nice retirement since she returned here in March 2005.

We would like to also acknowledge all who assisted in caring for Echo for the past few months, both staff and volunteers, and gave her such good quality of life right up until the end.

Echo was a very good-looking wolf, having a varied, dirty white and grey coat on her older years. From this day, I will value the photo I got from Monty Sloan of Echo even more than before.

Rest in peace.

-Midnight Snow
     You're not paranoid. You know you aren't. At least you weren't, until they started coming after you.

Arciz
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Echo of Wolf Park, 1992-2009

Post by Arciz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:09 pm

:cry: That's so sad... At least she was happy and not in pain when she died...

Rest in peace, Echo.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:30 pm

thats so sad! I`m glad I have some beautiful photots of Echo on my computer...I`m glad her last mometns were blissful.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Rainbow wolf
Pup
Pup
Location: Watching the Aurora lights... (really live in Minnesota)

Post by Rainbow wolf » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Arciz wrote: :cry: That's so sad... At least she was happy and not in pain when she died...

Rest in peace, Echo.

Yeah at least she didn't die in pain :(
If you just be your self others will like you for the way you are.
Never be or act a like another person
Soon others will notice you and will certainly be your friend.
And that my friend happen to me.

Return to “Wolf Conservation”