What will protect wolves from delisting?

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: What will protect wolves from delisting?

Post by Vida » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:47 pm

What about it? Do they have to have more then one child or something Bellamy. I don't know much about India's family structure
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:50 pm

I think it has something to do with reincarnation and producing a male heir in the upper caste or something...
icon by Rottenrobbie

Bellamy
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Bellamy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:57 pm

It's got something to do with what you two said I think, and their preference towards male children and their role in the family. I remember having a discussion about the issues in population control in school last year, but I don't remember the details. :/

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:01 pm

Soo what your saying is that if there were childbirth limits in India, then the mothers would find some way to figure out of the gender of the baby like some people do in China, then they will abort the baby if it's a girl?
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:35 pm

it is possible to insure a male baby, all you need is a centerfuge and a syringe. but most people dont want to go to a lab or such to do that, and it is a gross process.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Off topic.

ChocolateRain
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ChocolateRain » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:11 am

I didn't want to make a whole new thread so I'm going to add something to this thread..

Specifically this article that I found skimming through the headlines over at www.wolf.org.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... olf11.html
[David] Mech, senior research scientist for the U.S. Geological Survey and a University of Minnesota adjunct professor, is regarded as the pre-eminent wolf biologist in the United States, if not the world.

His study of wolf-moose relationships on Isle Royale, an island in Lake Superior, redefined science's understanding of predator-prey relationships.

He has argued for decades that for wolves to be recovered in the lower 48 states, they need to be controlled, hunted and legally killed when they continually kill livestock.

They are very prolific and actually become more productive in the face of rising mortality.

Once their numbers become large, such as the current 1,500 wolves that live in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, their population will continue to grow as long as it can expand and it has a healthy food source.

"They may never go down," Mech said. "I don't know any way you'll get them down legally."
That's coming from one of the leading wolf biologists, for those who oppose such actions.

Return to “Wolf Conservation”