Wolves Blamed for "consuming" 22 year old

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

TenMillionFireflies
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Wolves Blamed for "consuming" 22 year old

Post by TenMillionFireflies » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:44 am

Conservationists have long assuaged the public’s fear of wolves by saying that there have been no documented instances of a healthy wild wolf killing a human being in North America. Until now, that is.

On Nov. 8, a search party found the partially consumed body of 22-year-old Kenton Joel Carnegie in the woods of northern Saskatchewan. Carnegie had gone for a walk and didn’t return to the surveyors camp where he was working.

Paul Paquet, a University of Calgary ecologist who investigated the case, says a recent increase in energy development has drawn more people to the remote area and left it peppered with open garbage dumps. Four wolves fed regularly at a nearby dump and had lost their natural fear of people.

Those wolves are the most likely culprits, and at least three have been killed. But investigators have not yet ruled out the possibility of a bear attack.

To prevent wolves from becoming accustomed to humans, Paquet advises securing any food left in dumps or campsites. People should stay at least 100 yards from wolves, he says.

In the United States, there are some open dumps in wolf country, says Fish and Wildlife Service wolf recovery coordinator Ed Bangs. But, he adds, many people already bear-proof their garbage, and authorities haze overly bold wolves with noise-making "cracker shells" and rubber bullets.

Given that a handful of fatal wolf attacks have been recorded in India and Europe, experts say such an attack in North America has always been a possibility. But the odds are extraordinarily low, points out L. David Mech, a leading wolf biologist: "Wolves are still not any more dangerous than they ever were."
Ew, ew, and ew. I feel bad for the wolves that were killed, and the person of course, but consuming? Really?

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Wolves Blamed for "consuming" 22 year old

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 am

I highly doubt the wolves killed the man. It was most likely a bear. However, they might have "consumed" the person if they were starving and had lost some of their fear of humans, as they suggested in the article. Still, it is survival of the fittest, and humans are NOT the fittest. :shock:
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Morgrin
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Morgrin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:18 am

Anything could have lead Kenton to his death. If any blood was spilled, the wolves must of been nearby and saw it as an easy meal.
White Fire; Literate RPG Wolf Pack
http://joinwhitefire.wetpaint.com

Maned_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Maned_Wolf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm

So they haven't out ruled a bear attack but are killing the wolves anyway? But it is likely since they were habituated to people but like the article says the average wolf still is no more dangerous then it ever was.
Hark! hear the howl that eats the moon alive!

Sanity Alumno
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sanity Alumno » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:21 pm

There wild animals. Who knows. They are one of North America's top predators and when venturing out into their natural domain you should know that your entering their world. No rules or laws. Just survival and instint. So if it did come to term that a predator like a grey wolf (or Grey Wolves) then. Most likely they would finish the deal with a easy meal. He was warned in fact of the risk of a wild encounter etc.

Wolves are timid to humans and mostly avoid humans presence. They will even run off. But in this area a source quotes.
Before Carnegie's (Kenton Joel Carnegie) death, there had been several incidences in Saskatchewan of wolves acting aggressively toward people. Additionally, more than 200 occurrences of black bears behaving aggressively toward humans have been documented in the Province, including several that resulted in severe injuries to victims of attacks.
Who knows. These predators could have lost their fear of humans and considered them as a food source. Also marks or both bear and wolf were found on Kenton's body but I think later on they were identified as black bear marks. (Teeth Marks)

Anyway with what I have read. Despite the site being known as a un-reliable source. Most of its information seem backed up and Valid. But in conclusion ...

I would say a black bear made the attack (or consumed the carcass). Maybe even a wolf did consume some of Kenton at one point. And the wolves that were killed to see if any of Kenton remains, the food could have been digested completely also, maybe at one point they were chased of by a black bear. A source states the body was dragged so there might have been a hassle for the body as one creature tried move it away or what ever.

TenMillionFireflies
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TenMillionFireflies » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:37 pm

Yes, I also assume that it was possibly another animal besides the wolf. A high chance would be a bear, but I also think they can't jump to conclusions before everything was thoroughly investigated.

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:48 pm

Eh, this is disturbing... But I doubt that the wolves killed the guy. Eating him is possible I suppose though. To them it probably wasn't any different then a dead squirrel. Ick, over all a sad and gross story. One of those where you feel bad for all parties and repulsed. Oh well...
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:26 pm

It's an unfortunate case, but hopefully we'll find the true culprit if it's not the wolves.
I'm sure some other animal killed it first, then the wolves probably came in, noting their favor for garbage or "leftovers" in this case.
Again, anything could have happened, but if they don't have any solid evidence yet, then they probably shouldn't be taking action by killing three wolves who could have been easily innocent.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

TenMillionFireflies
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TenMillionFireflies » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:56 pm

Koa wrote:It's an unfortunate case, but hopefully we'll find the true culprit if it's not the wolves.
I'm sure some other animal killed it first, then the wolves probably came in, noting their favor for garbage or "leftovers" in this case.
Again, anything could have happened, but if they don't have any solid evidence yet, then they probably shouldn't be taking action by killing three wolves who could have been easily innocent.
I strongly agree ^. If not enough evidence is given, they should not act so quickly and kill the wolves. As Koa said, it could have been some other animal, possibly another person, and the wolves just happened to come along and find him. Wolves are carnivorous- they eat meat, so what would you expect?
Yes, sad, gross, disturbing, but somewhat interesting.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:46 am

Firstly wolves are wild animals and like any wild animal they deserve respect.

Its really tragic and incredibly sad that this man died in the prime of his life. I feel sorry for his family.

While some say that its too soon to blame wolves, the fact that the animals killed were seen near the body indicates that their too bold around people. Besides, its not fair to the people working and living in the area to let animals that could have potentially attacked someone to wonder about.

Garbage dumps and pits are a huge problem for wildlife, bears and other animals become dependent on human garbage and people enjoy seeing animals at a close distance. I can't say what spurred the attack, but having animals like bears and wolves becoming habituated to humans through handouts or garbage is never a good idea. I hope that dump owners incase their property with fencing or barriers to keep wildlife out.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:10 am

Wait a moment, we already have at least one documented case of healthy wolves attacking and killing humans. Why are people still reciting that phrase?

Wolves have been killing and eating humans all throughout history. I don't see why this is any shock. And I don't understand why some people react with "It couldn't have been wolves, it must have been _____" when they certainly don't have any extra facts to be making those claims.

They are wild animals, they've killed people before. Don't romanticise about them as "glorious, majestic animals", who would 'never kill people unless provoked'. This isn't even the first case of a wolf killing a human in North America. You're letting your bias about wolves get in the way, and that is a silly thing to do.

If the wolves were becoming habituated to humans, it's entirely possible for them to have attacked the man in seeking food. Having found none, they logically would have eaten the corpse. The wolves were killed, regardless of if they killed Keaton or not, because they obviously were becoming dangerous to other people in the area. The same way that alligators in Florida are killed for being habituated to humans.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:36 am

I think people just believe that bear attacks are more common than wolf attacks...its more likely that a story about a grizzly bear attack will be published than the antics of a bold wolf.

That brings another fact as well when you mentioned the alligators; that people are living in closer proximity to wildlife than ever before. Thus, the liklihood of animals becoming habituated to people will only increase is proper action and prevention isn't taken.
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

TenMillionFireflies
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TenMillionFireflies » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Yes, it's a habit for me, and I'm sure a few others, to let our love of wolves get in the way of actually considering the possibility that it might have been the wolves, instead of another creature. xD

But, then again, it could have been a bear.

What I am hoping for, is they look for more evidence, investigate more, THEN post news on the worldwide internet blaming the creature that too the man's life. But, well, that might not happen, since they have already killed the Possibly innocent wolves. I also agree with Songdog, they have been attacking and killing people, but you never know. They could have just eaten the carcass, not killed the man, as previously said. That part could have been another animal, possibly a person, though that is sad to consider.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Well even if the wolves simply 'consumed' the body of the individual it would still deem the animal for death. Its not fair to the people living in the area to let animals habituated to people run around, and the idea of letting those wolves found at the crime scene continue to live is disturbing to many.

TenMillionFireflies
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TenMillionFireflies » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 am

pawnee wrote:Well even if the wolves simply 'consumed' the body of the individual it would still deem the animal for death. Its not fair to the people living in the area to let animals habituated to people run around, and the idea of letting those wolves found at the crime scene continue to live is disturbing to many.
Yes, the people living near that area would be scared stiff if they heard abut the death, and the wolves that were there, 'suspects', would normally be blamed for their instinct, to find and eat almost any carcass.

I have basically nothing else to say on this subject. xD

Return to “Wolf Conservation”