Questions about wolf reintroduction persist

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Maned_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Questions about wolf reintroduction persist

Post by Maned_Wolf » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:25 am

Questions about wolf reintroduction persist as evidence of change to Western landscape becomes apparent.

A long but good article about the effects wolves have in the ecosystem
http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articl ... wolves.txt
Hark! hear the howl that eats the moon alive!

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Questions about wolf reintroduction persist

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:58 am

The article is pretty long, but it gets the point across. I think they should really re-introduce more wolves back into the wild. :)
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:02 pm

wolfquest47 wrote:The article is pretty long, but it gets the point across. I think they should really re-introduce more wolves back into the wild. :)

Hmm, last year, wolf numbers were actually considered too high by the northwestern states with wolf populations. That's why they introduced the hunting season last September. It ends on March 31.

I doubt they'll be reintroducing more wolves to the Northern Rockies any time soon; however, Mexico has plans underway to reintroduce five Mexican gray wolves to the wild. :)
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

x-Riley-x
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by x-Riley-x » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:51 pm

wolfquest47 wrote:The article is pretty long, but it gets the point across. I think they should really re-introduce more wolves back into the wild. :)
The articile would sadly not show up for me though I do think that one problem with reintroducing wolves in the wild is that there aren't many place to release them to where they can be safe and protected. Though I would love to see more wolves introduced to the wild.
I M A G I N E . D R A G O N S
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
--Now don't you understand.
'I'm never changing who I am.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:04 am

The article also would not show up for me either. Perhaps you could summarize the main points of the article, or post some vital excerpts?

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:44 am

I Googled the title of the article, and I found this:

http://myyellowstonewolves.typepad.com/ ... olves.html

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK – On Jan. 12, 1995, at approximately 8:30 a.m., the first gray wolf to set foot in

Yellowstone in more than 60 years stepped through the gate of a shipping container and into the cold mountain air

atop Crystal Bench.

Norm Bishop, 77, of Bozeman – then a Yellowstone National Park ranger and principal interpreter for wolves and their recovery – carried the second container housing the alpha male that day. In the presence of U.S. Secretary of the Interior Bruce Babbitt, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Mollie Beattie and Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Michael Finley, the wolf was released into the Crystal Bench acclimation pen where it would remain for 10 weeks before being released into the wild.

“It was a feeling of exultation,” Bishop said of that moment while driving through Lamar Valley during the predawn hours last Thursday. “These were the first wolves that had set foot in Yellowstone since maybe the 1930s. It was an impressive moment, certainly for me.”

Now, some 15 years on from that cold January morning, Yellowstone’s wolf population has flourished with estimated numbers today hovering around 100 wolves in the park. The reintroduction of wolves ushered in a new era of wildlife management, not only within Yellowstone, but also in the neighboring states of Wyoming, Idaho and Montana where wolf numbers have risen above 1,000 in recent years.

With the reintroduction and subsequent delisting of the gray wolf from the Endangered Species List has come ongoing debate about the value of wolves in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem and the importance of a species that was hunted, poisoned and trapped to extinction within park boundaries during the 1920s....

You can read the rest of the article at the link found above.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/