Druid wolf pack likely to fade away

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Maned_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Druid wolf pack likely to fade away

Post by Maned_Wolf » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Down to one wolf. I guess that means the end of the wolf pack. The Druid Peak wolf pack was formed in the release enclosure back in 1996. Most of the wolves came from the same pack in British Columbia, but not all. For example the big alpha male came from another pack. The Druids immediately set about trying, and then finally succeeding to dominate the Lamar Valley. It was a good 14 years with hundreds of thousands of people seeing them.

Kathie has all the details.
Read the full story here
http://wolves.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/ ... fade-away/

It's pretty sad,the famous druid pack coming to an end they've been featured in documentaries like the amazing "Valley of the Wolves" and are even in Wolfquest. I wonder what new pack will take hold of the valley...
Hark! hear the howl that eats the moon alive!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Druid wolf pack likely to fade away

Post by Koa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Maned_Wolf wrote:
Down to one wolf. I guess that means the end of the wolf pack. The Druid Peak wolf pack was formed in the release enclosure back in 1996. Most of the wolves came from the same pack in British Columbia, but not all. For example the big alpha male came from another pack. The Druids immediately set about trying, and then finally succeeding to dominate the Lamar Valley. It was a good 14 years with hundreds of thousands of people seeing them.

Kathie has all the details.
Read the full story here

It's pretty sad,the famous druid pack coming to an end they've been featured in documentaries like the amazing "Valley of the Wolves" and are even in Wolfquest. I wonder what new pack will take hold of the valley...
I was completely unaware of this; I'm not one to keep up with the individual statuses of packs, so thank you for posting this.
Out of all the packs though, I'm surprised this one has come to an end. Then again, it seems to have always been potrayed as a strong wolf pack like it is in the WolfQuest game; guess it isn't always like that.
It'll be interesting who will reside in the valley this time.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Maned_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Maned_Wolf » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 pm

I was surprised to. I heard they had bad mange and were seen trying to sleep standing up but I guess I hoped they could pull through it,it's rather sad but the pack had a great run and certainly had it's time in the spotlight. I only wish I got to go to Yellowstone and see them when they were in their prime! 8)
Hark! hear the howl that eats the moon alive!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Maned_Wolf wrote:I was surprised to. I heard they had bad mange and were seen trying to sleep standing up but I guess I hoped they could pull through it,it's rather sad but the pack had a great run and certainly had it's time in the spotlight. I only wish I got to go to Yellowstone and see them when they were in their prime! 8)
Yeah, it's a shame, but it just goes to show how fast things can turn around, especially with such of a large wolf pack:
One pack (Druid Peak pack) in Yellowstone National Park once swelled to over 30 members, but this is highly unusual and not necessarily an advantage.
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/basic/faqs/faq.asp#7

..so I guess the large amount of members caught up to them in terms of mange and other things as you have mentioned.

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:38 pm

So sad! I had no idea they were dying off so quickly :cry: Hopefully, the druids will come back from the brink and make a great comeback! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:04 pm

wolfquest47 wrote:So sad! I had no idea they were dying off so quickly :cry: Hopefully, the druids will come back from the brink and make a great comeback! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It seems unlikely:
And then there was one… From the Druid Peak pack’s beginning in 1996 and through its glory years as Yellowstone National Park’s most famous wolf pack (with an incredible 37 members in 2001), it has come to this: yearling black Druid 690F may be the sole survivor. Mange-ridden and alone, her situation is grim.
...from the source:

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Aw really? I talk about the Druids when I'm giving tours at the Feline conservatory I work at! When we get to the last stop, the wolves, I tell everybody about the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone, and I mention how the Druids once had 37 members. Now it looks like I'll soon have to mention how the pack eventually vanished. :(

Best of luck to the remaining Druid!
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Canidae wrote:Aw really? I talk about the Druids when I'm giving tours at the Feline conservatory I work at! When we get to the last stop, the wolves, I tell everybody about the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone, and I mention how the Druids once had 37 members. Now it looks like I'll soon have to mention how the pack eventually vanished. :(

Best of luck to the remaining Druid!
37 members is quite a peak; an especially large size for a wolf pack.
They were remarkable, and although chances remain slim, I hope it will continue to be.
It'll be tough for her, especially since she is a yearling and probably doesn't have much experiance being on her own. Mange combined with all that will not help her at all.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 pm

A star burns its brightest before it dies. I know it cliche....forgive me!

anyways, its a natural part of life. It just shows how the wolves are mingiling with one another and forming adjacent packs. Wolves don't live long in the wild, so their can be many generations in a human lifetime for a wolf pack...it was bound to happen. Wolf territories are always feeling pressure from competition in high desity areas...maybe the druids will rebound in the future.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:59 pm

This is so sad.... I watched a documentary on them once, they were so amazing. I wish they were still around, but the article is not entirely correct. When I was at Yellowstone this Summer, some of the wolves there were descendents of Druids, so their blood lives on in different packs. :wink: I wish the best to the last of the Druids.
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl

Silver Shadow
Pup
Pup

Post by Silver Shadow » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Sorry if this is bumping but the druids have always been my favorite wolf pack in Yellowstone mostly because they were powerful and were made up mostly of black wolves. Though they have just about gone just like the great dire wolves they live on deep inside...

A pack is like fudge...
Mostly sweet with a few nuts...

SAVE Invader Zim!!! Buy the Operation Doom DVD!!!

Thanks Snowfire of Web Earth Online for my avatar!

()_()
(.)
( \ \)3 <---Fear BuNNY!

ulrike
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ulrike » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:29 pm

awww thats sad to hear that the pack only has 1 member left. :( i wonder how the pack had died away..
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
let out the song that is within us.
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
We fight with fire but love with a forgiving heart
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

xX---Sweetfire---Xx
Pup
Pup

Post by xX---Sweetfire---Xx » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Watch the Druid's Story. This has happened before, the druid's ''leaders'' died, so the sloughs took a move on. They killed almost all the druids besides for four females and took their territory. A lone wolf took over the four females and saved the pack again, though, so I guess it wasn't the same.
Anyhow, those were four wolves, not one. I guess there's no hope for the pack...atleast it was long lived and powerful at one time.
''If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz|

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:51 pm

goodbye druid wolf pack :cry: :cry: :cry:

Slavka
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Slavka » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:43 pm

I am veary sorry to hear; MountainPack won't attack anytime soon.

Return to “Wolf Conservation”