New Era in Wolf Management

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

New Era in Wolf Management

Post by Canidae » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:08 am

This made my day!

TUCSON, Ariz. - The Mexican gray wolf reintroduction program along the Arizona-New Mexico border is moving into a new phase, with a program compensating ranchers for wolf-caused livestock losses being taken over by the federal government.

Meanwhile, Craig Miller, Southwest representative with Defenders of Wildlife, says his organization's resources will be redirected to projects that actively safeguard livestock and protect wolves.

"It should benefit ranchers as well as conservationists because it provides significant flexibility in the way the funds are used to address conflicts."

Eva Sargent, Southwest program director with Defenders of Wildlife, says her group will now focus on what they call "Wolf Coexistence Partnerships," using proven methods to proactively prevent livestock losses to wolves.

"Special fencing, more cowboys or range-riders in the field to watch out for the cattle; the human presence keeps the wolves away. You could do moving of cattle to more secure pasturing that's further from wolf dens."

Craig Miller says the goal is near-zero losses of both livestock and wolves through a combination of collaboration, common sense, and cost-effective methods and tools.

"There's no silver bullet that works in every situation every time. But we've been able to work in partnership with both Arizona and New Mexico game and fish departments, and ranchers in conflict-prone areas, to significantly reduce or eliminate conflicts entirely."

While the reintroduced wolves have been responsible for less than one percent of livestock losses, Defenders of Wildlife has paid out more than $1.4 million to owners nationwide over the past 23 years, including nearly $125,000 in Arizona and New Mexico. After September 10, those claims will be handled by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Arizona's Mexican gray wolf reintroduction program began just over 12 years ago.
Doug Ramsey, Public News Service - AZ
Found at: http://www.publicnewsservice.org/index. ... le/15609-1

This is exactly what I've been wanting for a long time now: more experiments in nonlethal wolf control for the Mexican grays. And on top of all of these strategies that will be implemented, the federal government will now be paying compensation instead of Defenders of Wildlife.

I only hope the Feds are more generous in their compensations than Defenders was. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing Defenders at all, I'm just saying it would be lovely to see even more compensation given out, as it would definitely thrill the ranchers in AZ and NM. It's good when the ranchers are happy.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: New Era in Wolf Management

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:38 am

This is just plain terrific. All the people involved in this new, non-lethal era of wolf management deserve some serious kudos. Practical and affordable solutions are needed, and non-lethal methods to deter wolves are explored. This is very positive and could be a good start for a whole new system of wolf attack prevention on livestock.

Thanks for sharing this brilliant article, Cani. ^^
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:45 am

This is great! I don't know what more to say to that. ^^ It's good to see that such a method is being used, not only is it good for the wolves but the livestock too. A good way for prevention on wolf attacks.

Thank you for sharing this article Canidae!
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Snowstar
Pup
Pup

Post by Snowstar » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:16 am

This is an excellent find. It's good that nonlethal methods are being given a chance to help this endangered wolf. Hopefully these new methods will succeed and can be used in many other places.
.......(\_
('''''''{ "-;
)::::}};
((.....\\

"Ummm... Hello Mister Grizzly, how are you today?
"RRRRAAAAAAHHHHHHRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!"

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:21 pm

I also applaud the new non-lethal measures that are being developed to protect wolves and alliviate some of the "conflict" between predators and the lifestock industry.

However, that being said, I do want to remind people that there is no "one cure all" and wolves are extremely adaptive with their behavior. Some measures can be effective, but only for a short time and then the wolves/predators begin to prey on lifestock again. Some wolves are not affected by any of the non-lethal control measures and continue to kill/injure lifestock and pets or are too comfortable around humans. I say this after 20+ years of working with wolves (both in captivity and some experience with field work and packs that were too habituated and caused lifestock losses), especially in the Southwest.

This is an exciting era for wolf managers, but one that needs to be realistic and not based in "there is a cure" for all. There are many things that need to happen to make this project successful for wolves in the southwest, and new non-lethal control measures are one of those things.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:10 pm

That is great! Thanks for that article Canidae, that really brightened up my day. =)
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Return to “Wolf Conservation”