3 Wolves shot to death in Ohio

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

JustinVasquez
Pup
Pup

3 Wolves shot to death in Ohio

Post by JustinVasquez » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:52 pm

HANOVER -- Three wolves were shot Sunday near residences on Rock Haven Road after getting loose, attacking a beagle and posing a threat to the dog's owner.
Kathy Bryan called the Licking County Sheriff's Office Sunday morning and reported three wolves belonging to her neighbor had gotten loose and attacked her chained dog.
Bryan heard her dogs barking, and she said she came outside to see wolves on her property.
She said she got her shotgun and fired a warning shot into the air. One of the bigger wolves reportedly had her beagle by the neck, trying to pull him off his chain. Another was climbing the fence around her caged beagles, she said. Bryan used the shotgun to stop the wolf from attacking her dog. She shot the other wolf as it advanced on her. She killed both wolves.

"I felt bad shooting them," she said. "I cried and then I cried. It wasn't their fault. They shouldn't have been there."

She said she didn't initially know there were three wolves in her yard. The third one ran back into the woods toward its owners' house.

"They were hungry," Bryan said. "They aren't pets. They are wild animals. Wolves will kill."

The third wolf was shot by the sheriff's office because the wolf showed signs of aggression and was loose, according to the police report. The wolves' owners reportedly were not home when the attack occurred. The sheriff's office and animal control responded to the scene. According to the report, a Licking County Division of Wildlife officer said the animals were permitted at Robert Pitt's residence. They were, however, required to be in a pen.
The beagle suffered puncture wounds to the neck and back and bruising to its body. Bryan said her dog may need to go back to the veterinarian because it is having breathing problems.
Bryan said this isn't the first time she had complained about her neighbor's animals.

"I kept complaining that something like this was going to happen. No one listened," she said. "Now it has."

She said the neighbors have raised various animals, including lions, on the property in the past. Other animals have been on Bryan's property before. Bryan said she has reported these incidents on several occasions, and the situation remained the same. But she wasn't aware she was living next to wolves, nor did she know how long her neighbors have had wolves.
Pitt declined to comment.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... Y6YwTeemYg

DragonflySpirit
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Re: 3 Wolves shot to death in Ohio

Post by DragonflySpirit » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:54 pm

That is horrible!

JustinVasquez
Pup
Pup

Post by JustinVasquez » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:56 pm

I know it is! But Kathy Bryan knew she had to protect her dogs.But if Ohio gets in a threat of hybrid wolves roaming then,it will be devistaing to Ohioans

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:53 pm

DragonflySpirit wrote:That is horrible!
Not exactly, Kathy Bryan had a plausible reason for shooting the wolves.
Not everyone carries around a tranquilizer gun...
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

BitterApple

Post by BitterApple » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:10 am

Sad, for all of them. :(
I still think wolves shouldn't be kept as pets...

White wolf solace
Pup
Pup

Post by White wolf solace » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 am

Wolves are beings of freedom, never should they be pets, in fact they should be treated with just as much respect as we give each other. I understand the decision to shoot, but the wolves should not have been pets in the first place.
Staring into my eyes, they can't comprehend what it is that they see, is it a being, or is it just an illusion, they wonder if they even really exist, or if they are just figments of my dream...

Now a proud member of Solstice Pack

ldsqon062501
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ldsqon062501 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 am

This is shocking. Wolves shouldn't be kept as pets!
~Swift~

Lord Voldemort ~ "Why do you live?"

Harry Potter ~ "Because I have something worth living for."

Anything is possible, so never give up.

Avvie By ~ Google!

yugi501
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by yugi501 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:02 am

Wolves are creatures that shouldn't be kept as pets because they are built for climbing, running and rough tarain. They could easily break out of a pen that only has the fence size of 6 feet tall.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alpha Female of Mountain Pack
Guard of Hidden Grove Pack
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JustinVasquez
Pup
Pup

Post by JustinVasquez » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Exactly,if Wolves are going to be kept as pets,then the owner needs to be more respounsible

April

Post by April » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:46 pm

That's terrible, though I can understand.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Silver Pelt
Pup
Pup

Post by Silver Pelt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:39 am

I think that's a sad story, though I do understand why she had to shoot the wolves.
Wolves shouldn't be kept as pets, they're meant to hunt.

The woman obviously felt bad, but she did what was right.

-- R.I.P Wolves --
H E I D I

ṡhε ƒεll τhɾøυģh τhε сɾαсќṡ

вυτ ï ώïll ṡταÿ,

ṉø ṃαττεɾ høώ вïττεɾ τhε ώøɾlḋ ïṡ

sparky_wolf

Post by sparky_wolf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:29 am

As stated in the paragraphs, the neighbours were permitted to have the wolves on their property as long as they were contained. By the sounds of this incident it strikes me that the wolves were placed in pens but they obviously weren't adequate for the wolves' strength and the possesors did not take the wolves' physical abilities into full account.

With the woman, the shooting of the wolves was saddening but understandable. Her and other residents lives were in danger as well as her dogs. I only support this movement because it was humane and necessary, I doubt the wolves would have survived if they strayed away from the city and if they had remained the resulting offspring would be dangerous.
raise 'em on rhythm and blues

March 2011 UotM.

Icon -
WickedTrickster

DeletedLyrics
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by DeletedLyrics » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:23 am

I feel bad for the wolves.

Honestly, I have no idea what I'd do if wolves were attacking my dogs.
I love both animals probably about the same, I'd probably be torn in two.

But if she keeps the animals in a pen, and make sure their actually eating enough, it shouldn't be a problem.
If she ever decides to raise wolves again.

Maybe she should research about how other people have raised wild animals like that.
I wouldn't want to see wolves getting killed in Ohio.
----------------------
I support P.A.W.S!
Prevent
Another
Wolf
Slaughter
----------------------
Singing is the best way to cure depression <3
----------------------

wolfyattitude
Yearling
Yearling

Post by wolfyattitude » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:03 am

You know the part were it said that the wolves belong to the neighbour? They shouldn't be allowed to keep wolves, for multiple reasons:

1. It is cruel, wolves belong in the wild.
2. like when the attacked the beagle in this story, the first time they go on a walk, they will probably attack something (or someone!) and end up being put down.
3. They are pack animals, it is in their DNA, this person had three, which would be okay, but to have one is a little cruel, because they will in a sense get lonely.
4. They are too expensive to keep, and usually get dumped back in the wild, even if they don't know how to look after themselves.
5. Some people just aren't responsible enough to keep them, and will probably be careless, which could cause disaster.

This is just my opinion, you do not need to agree with me on it.
╔═══════╗
████████
ÐEatнηΘ†E║
████████
████████
████████
████████
╚═══════╝

Avvie(c)Lupinzpack

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:09 am

This is a sad situation... Of course the owner did what she had to do for her own good, which is understandable.

I hope people will finally realize some day that wild animals shouldn't be kept as pets.