Alaska Fish and Game Wipes Out Collared Wolf Pack

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

oxoDestinyoxo

Alaska Fish and Game Wipes Out Collared Wolf Pack

Post by oxoDestinyoxo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Alaska won’t stop killing wolves.
Alaska Fish and Game wiped out all four members of the collared Webber Creek wolf pack that ranged in Alaska’s Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve. They were part a sixteen year ongoing research project by the National Park Service.
Alaska is killing wolves in the area to boost numbers of moose and Fortymile caribou. This is a waste of wolves lives and outdated wildlife management. Are they living in the 1950′s up there?
The Alaska Fish and Game wolf executioners agreed they wouldn’t kill wolves collared by the National Park Service biologists. So much for giving their word.
Wolves that use the preserve are dropping like flies. The autumn 2009 count was 42 wolves, by February that number had dropped to 26, the largest single decline in 17 years. There should be an immediate halt to the wolf killing anywhere near the preserve.
From the News Tribune:

“Fish and Game makes no apologies for killing uncollared wolves in the predator control program and said it killed the wolves wearing park service radio collars by mistake.
“A possible collar malfunction or other problems prevented staff from identifying the collared wolves,” the department said in a statement Thursday.

Collar malfunction? I was born in the dark but it wasn’t last night.
The Webber Creek mother and father were recently collared. Apparently the shooter did see the collars but shot anyway according to reports.

“Causes of the tracking problem are being investigated, according to the statement.

Fish and Game referred all questions to David James, regional supervisor for the Interior. James did not return repeated messages Thursday afternoon and evening with questions about what happened and the department’s statement, which appears to conflict with what he had reportedly told the Park Service.
Dudgeon said he’d spoken to James on Wednesday night.
“My understanding from the phone call last night was that the shooter, whoever that person was, did see the collars,” Dudgeon said. “They were aware of the collars.”
The Fish and Game statement began by saying the department was “concluding a successful three-day field operation in the ongoing Upper Yukon Tanana wolf control program.” The operation began Tuesday and the statement said that nine wolves were killed during the first two days.
The program will resume with the next adequate snowfall in the area, according to the statement. The wolves are tracked in the snow using fixed-wing aircraft, and Fish and Game employees then come in and shoot the wolves from helicopters.
There are five areas of Alaska where the state has authorized predator control from the air by private pilots and gunners in order to boost key populations of game. The Fortymile area is the only of the five where Fish and Game also uses helicopters with its own employees to fly in and shoot the wolves.
Fish and Game said it “continues to coordinate” with National Park Service staff to minimize the impact of the effort on the wolf study in the Yukon Charley preserve. The study has been ongoing for 16 years, and the “alpha male and female” killed had been recently fitted with collars.
Dudgeon said he would be asking the department exactly where the wolves were killed and why. He said he’d asked Fish and Game not to kill any collared wolves, as well as any other wolves in the same packs.
Dudgeon said he made the request because of population numbers for wolves using the preserve. He said 42 wolves were counted in the fall and 26 in February. Wolves always die over the winter, but it was the biggest drop since the preserve started monitoring in 1993, he said.
He said Fish and Game agreed not to kill collared wolves and take no more than seven from the biggest packs that move in and out of the Yukon Charley preserve.
The National Parks Conservation Association, an advocacy group, called Thursday for an immediate suspension of the wolf killing around the Yukon Charley preserve. The group said it shouldn’t resume until the Park Service is satisfied a healthy wolf population is assured.
Wolf advocate Rick Steiner called the killing of collared wolves “disgusting and shameful” and said the program should be halted. The Board of Game authorized predator control after hearing from local residents and hunting advocates.
This is the second year in a row the department has used helicopters to kill wolves in the area of the Fortymile caribou herd. Fish and Game reported killing 84 wolves in the aerial program last year.”

Alaska has a reputation for treating it’s predators like vermin. It’s clear when it comes to predators, Alaska caters to hunters and trappers, the rest of the wildlife viewing public be feather.
The Webber Creek wolves were from the Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve. Alaska Fish and Game agreed they would leave the collared wolves alone, yet the wolves are dead.
Please contact Governor Parnell and express your outrage. “Friends of Animals“ has called for a boycott of Alaska because of the terrible decision last week by Alaska’s Board of Game to extend trapping into buffer zones around Denali National Park.
This is just another reason to avoid Alaska. Is there no end to their sanctioned wolf slaughter?
Contact Governor Parnell…..

Alaska Governor Sean Parnell
State Capitol
P.O. Box 110001
Juneau, AK 99811
Fax:(907)465-3532
Tel:(907)465-3500
email: governor@gov.state.ak.us
web: http://www.gov.state.ak.us

ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME
Boards Support Section
P.O. Box 115526
Juneau, AK 99811-5526
(907) 465-4110
(907) 465-6094 FAX
Source; http://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com/ ... of-wolves/

I find it sad to think that our government is turning into this. I've never been on good terms with politics and the government, first they reopen horse slaughterhouses, and now their ruining wolf research.

Any thoughts?

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: Alaska Fish and Game Wipes Out Collared Wolf Pack

Post by Thandi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:35 pm

To me, this is completely sick. I can't believe that Alaska would do this to their wolf population, especially since they are already in bad shape.
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Fierceclaw

Post by Fierceclaw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:34 pm

I agree completely that is below what I had thought about
Alaska I wish that I could grab handful of thier hair and yell and scream at the people who did this.Why why why so there are more moose for them to kill also? So hunters can kill more moose jus to mount heir heads on their walls . They are muderers in my eyes and nothing more!
-Fierceclaw

walshjam15
Pup
Pup

Post by walshjam15 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:04 am

Thandi wrote:To me, this is completely sick. I can't believe that Alaska would do this to their wolf population, especially since they are already in bad shape.
Fierceclaw wrote:I agree completely that is below what I had thought about
Alaska I wish that I could grab handful of thier hair and yell and scream at the people who did this.Why why why so there are more moose for them to kill also? So hunters can kill more moose jus to mount heir heads on their walls . They are muderers in my eyes and nothing more!
-Fierceclaw
a agree with you both completely!
I'm so mad at them! it's not fair for the wolves! they just don't care about them! they either want their fur or the money or just the sport of having lots of trophies of the rare alaskan wolf! or something! it makes me so mad!
White Fang
`•.¸¸.•*¨*`•.¸¸.•*¨*`•.¸¸.•*¨
Love,
Laugh,
and Howl at the moon.

Fierceclaw

Post by Fierceclaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:10 pm

I KNOW RIGHT I COMPLETELY MEANT EVERYTHING I JUST WROTE ABOUT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Fierceclaw

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Calm yourselves, please. Any more angry, uncontrolled responses and I'll have to lock this up.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

walshjam15
Pup
Pup

Post by walshjam15 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:18 pm

uh... that was angry and uncontrolled? oh well sorry i didn't mean to be like that it just makes me angry but i'll do better next time! which is this time so i guess... im better? oh my gosh im confusing myself! ahhh! hahahaha :D i still feel bad for the wolves :( i still dont really understand why people do it.
White Fang
Love,
Laugh,
and Howl at the moon.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:12 pm

-moved to Wolf Conservation-

These wolves were part of a sixteen year research project? That's a shame...

White wolf solace
Pup
Pup

Post by White wolf solace » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Hmm... This is why I am ashamed to be in a human body, because humans think they are responsible for controlling other species, Valhalla(I often use Valhalla as a word for nature) is the one that should be maintaining balance, humans should be trying to live in harmony with animals and plants, working together to build a better world for all, not trying to dominate all other species. You have my support wolves of the world, you always will.
Staring into my eyes, they can't comprehend what it is that they see, is it a being, or is it just an illusion, they wonder if they even really exist, or if they are just figments of my dream...

Now a proud member of Solstice Pack

walshjam15
Pup
Pup

Post by walshjam15 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Koa wrote:-moved to Wolf Conservation-

These wolves were part of a sixteen year research project? That's a shame...
I know
White wolf solace wrote:Hmm... This is why I am ashamed to be in a human body, because humans think they are responsible for controlling other species, Valhalla(I often use Valhalla as a word for nature) is the one that should be maintaining balance, humans should be trying to live in harmony with animals and plants, working together to build a better world for all, not trying to dominate all other species. You have my support wolves of the world, you always will.
i like it! and that's one way of saying nature has it's own balance! i love it!
White Fang
Love,
Laugh,
and Howl at the moon.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:30 pm

White wolf solace wrote:Hmm... This is why I am ashamed to be in a human body, because humans think they are responsible for controlling other species, Valhalla(I often use Valhalla as a word for nature) is the one that should be maintaining balance, humans should be trying to live in harmony with animals and plants, working together to build a better world for all, not trying to dominate all other species. You have my support wolves of the world, you always will.
Please avoid religious references.
I'd also be careful with the "humans are terrible" types of comments - sometimes they can create discussions that can get out of hand...

smokey123

Post by smokey123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:58 am

Well, humans can be pretty mean to animals and all but you know. We are humans. Maybe not the brightest thing you could put on there.

White wolf solace
Pup
Pup

Post by White wolf solace » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:59 pm

I am sorry, I did not actually mean that humans are bad, I meant that they need to be more good, as in they need to respect other life forms more, but I can see what Koa means, I did not want to spark any argument and in the future I will be more careful, I just think humans should learn that they aren't the only ones that live on earth, animals should not be controlled by people, we all deserve to live on earth without having to fear our neighbor species.
Staring into my eyes, they can't comprehend what it is that they see, is it a being, or is it just an illusion, they wonder if they even really exist, or if they are just figments of my dream...

Now a proud member of Solstice Pack

walshjam15
Pup
Pup

Post by walshjam15 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:03 pm

White wolf solace wrote:I am sorry, I did not actually mean that humans are bad, I meant that they need to be more good, as in they need to respect other life forms more, but I can see what Koa means, I did not want to spark any argument and in the future I will be more careful, I just think humans should learn that they aren't the only ones that live on earth, animals should not be controlled by people, we all deserve to live on earth without having to fear our neighbor species.
i agree... i hope the world with end up happy and balance instead of there just being humans because we are cutting down the tree just for stuff like tooth picks. i don't even use them! :shock: i use the plastic ones
White Fang
Love,
Laugh,
and Howl at the moon.

watchdog
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by watchdog » Sun May 15, 2011 7:37 pm

i can't believe i wanted to live in alaska :x they should be ashamed of themsevles wolves are favorite animal