Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Wolves targeted to boost elk hunt

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:46 am

Wolves targeted to boost elk hunt
Sterilization part of Alberta experiment to shrink packs
Cathy Ellis, For the Calgary Herald
Published: Thursday, March 06, 2008

An experiment to shoot wolf pups and sterilize their parents so there could be more elk available for hunters is being met with howls of protest from conservationists, scientists and Parks Canada.

The experiment along Alberta's central east slopes, near Rocky Mountain House, aims to reduce the number of wolves in four packs to two or three individuals, by sterilizing the alpha males and females and destroying other wolves in the packs.

To read the rest of the article, go to http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/new ... dcf0cb58dc

Note: I posted this article to let you know how and why some other countries are trying to manage wolf populations. Obviously, the wolf population in Canada has different numbers than the wolf population in the Lower 48 states of the US.

Howlin' Wolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Wolves targeted to boost elk hunt

Post by Howlin' Wolf » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:18 am

THATS CRAZY!!! :shock: how would those nasty hunters like it if someone were shooting their kids and taking their food, huh? :evil: ............ :cry:
Meep.
......what? you want me to say something else? :O Okay....THIS. IS. SPARTAAAAA!
(btw, mai multiplayer account name ish BlackRose567; named after my wolfie character herself. :3

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:06 pm

I live in Canada and the wolf management process debate has been going on for a while. Normally this would be about the endangered woodland caribou, but due to the popularity in big game sport hunting, its elk. These are my thoughts, and probably not scientific at all, but the Alberta and British Columbia goverment is very pro-hunter, pro-wildlife management. They have yet to address the declining grizzley population problem and continue to hand out hunting permits for the bears. You don`t need a big game liscene to kill a wolf in Alberta, you just have to pay $25 for a small game permit in order to shoot the wolves. theres no closed season and simply because land is lablled as "conserrvation" does not mean no hunting. I think if the Alberta goverment really wanted to help wildlife, like elk, then officials would stop paving logging and mining roads all over the place and try to preserve some habitat. as well as limit the number of hunting permits for sport/ leisure activity.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Midnight Snow » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:56 am

WQ Project Coordinator wrote:[...]shoot wolf pups and sterilize their parents so there could be more elk available for hunters
So, hunters need elk to survive? They need it that much, that they're forced to "destroy" wolves and sterilize them? I think the wolves need the elk more than the hunters do, and who (or what) the heck gives humans the rights to kill wolves just because they want to hunt elk?? I'll have to say as Howlin' Wolf; that's just crazy!

-Midnight Snow
     You're not paranoid. You know you aren't. At least you weren't, until they started coming after you.

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:25 pm

Paquet said the sterilization experiment could also prove extremely dangerous to the long-term viability of wolves in the region
This is what I thought, too.
"We feel our approach is one which maintains wolves in the landscape without hurting the population," Merrill said.

If they reduce packs to two or three, and sterilize them, how are the populations going to look once the two/three wolves die out? If they kill some and sterilize the rest, how are wolf populations going to stay the same size? They want populations to stay relatively the same, and they also want to kill some wolves. That tips the scale towards lower populations. To balance it, you need additions to the population, which you can't get because of the sterile breeding pairs.

O_o Did I miss something?
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:36 pm

I know King! I mean if the breeding pairs are steralised they won't be able to have more pups, so eventually all the wolves in that area will die out.
Midnight Snow wrote:
WQ Project Coordinator wrote:[...]shoot wolf pups and sterilize their parents so there could be more elk available for hunters
So, hunters need elk to survive? They need it that much, that they're forced to "destroy" wolves and sterilize them? I think the wolves need the elk more than the hunters do, and who (or what) the heck gives humans the rights to kill wolves just because they want to hunt elk?? I'll have to say as Howlin' Wolf; that's just crazy!

-Midnight Snow
I always think that when I read things like this. I fail to see their reasoning behind it :(
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Return to “Wolf Conservation”