Controversial Threads

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Controversial Threads

Post by Koa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:13 pm

There are a few things you need to be mindful of before posting a thread or post in this forum.

I. It is best to refrain from debates or posting topics you know will cause debates if your aim is to bait certain individuals and/or you cannot discuss the matter politely.
Good examples of such controversial issues are ones where wolves or humans are killed. As long as you politely discuss the matter, there is not a problem. If we feel something is too controversial to be brought up on this forum, it will be locked, but this is rare and generally does not occur. We generally only lock controversial topics if the topic has reached a point where multiple users are engaged in debate and we need to gain control over the thread to issue warnings. Other times in which we lock threads are when we find that a old topic has been bumped and the content is no longer relevant or is outdated (especially in relation to news content), and when we find that a topic that has been posted contains misleading or inaccurate information-- just because we have locked a thread does not mean we locked it on the basis of controversy.
II. Avoid posting graphic images of wolves. (wolves that are shot or dead, or graphically injured.)
While we understand this is the reality of many cases, please do not post links or videos depicting such content. If you do, please at least include a warning.
III. Remain respectful of all opinions.
Self-explanatory. Please remember to be considerate of others and their opinions.

Questions about what threads are allowed and related inquiries may be posted here.
Last edited by Koa on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Controversial Threads

Post by BlackWarrior » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:05 am

Good idea Koa to actually bring this up. I have seen many debates slowly unraveling on certain topics, and soon they seem to veer towards being off-topic. Hopefully this will help to lesson the amount of "conflict" on these topics and hold people from jumping into controversial discussions. It is best we all keep our views to ourselves and only share what will actually contribute in a positive manner to the topic being discussed.
May I suggest adding to the list:
-- avoiding posting any sort of article that includes both human and wolf where members will be driven to take sides? --
these sort of topics cause debates often and misunderstanding of eachother on the topic. It is good to have opinion, but perhaps WQ isn't the place to share too much on things that are negative towards humans.

Thanks again for posting this! Hopefully we see some changes around these forums soon. ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

ForgottenDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by ForgottenDreams » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:59 am

Thanks for posting this, Koa. It will really give some people an idea of what threads to post and which not to.
BlackWarrior wrote:
-- avoiding posting any sort of article that includes both human and wolf where members will be driven to take sides? --
these sort of topics cause debates often and misunderstanding of eachother on the topic. It is good to have opinion, but perhaps WQ isn't the place to share too much on things that are negative towards humans.
For that matter, perhaps it is best not to post any threads which involve taking sides, as disputes may begin. I'm not just talking about humans and wolves here, it can be of any creature. Good of you to point this out, Night! ^-^
Moving accounts to Crupi. See you there.

Icon © Nightangelwolf

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:00 pm

In general there are many threads that can allow one to "take a side." No oneis required, however, and I'd expect for one to remain polite or be disciplined.

It is a bit broad to attempt to condemn all threads that may present that. Most threads and articles are already set to a default level if bias, anyway.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Koa wrote:In general there are many threads that can allow one to "take a side." No oneis required, however, and I'd expect for one to remain polite or be disciplined.

It is a bit broad to attempt to condemn all threads that may present that. Most threads and articles are already set to a default level if bias, anyway.
Thanks for clearing that up Koa. Perhaps reposting this topic in the General Wolf Disscusion forum as well? It seems that they may post an article there without viewing this thread before-hand. By having it stickied in both forums, it may be more likely to be spotted and clarified with all the users, including those who havent visited this forum. ^^ I personally feel this thread could make a difference in the whole "Wolves" Category as long as all posters are aware of it. (:
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:15 pm

BlackWarrior wrote:
Koa wrote:In general there are many threads that can allow one to "take a side." No oneis required, however, and I'd expect for one to remain polite or be disciplined.

Thanks for clearing that up Koa. Perhaps reposting this topic in the General Wolf Disscusion forum as well? It seems that they may post an article there without viewing this thread before-hand. By having it stickied in both forums, it may be more likely to be spotted and clarified with all the users, including those who havent visited this forum. ^^ I personally feel this thread could make a difference in the whole "Wolves" Category as long as all posters are aware of it. (:
Good point. Most of the controversial threads are posted here or either moved here, hence why this thread was posted in this board. I'll think about it, but for now I just see it as one location.

Eggness
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Eggness » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:05 pm

I entirely agree that people should be more polite and nicer. I also agree that no arguments or debates should be made, and swearing should not be allowed. I want to thank the moderator for a moment to check everyone's posts to make sure that there is no bad language. Koa, it is very nice of you to make sure that people do not start anything that is bad. :wink: But there is something in the game that bothers some people. In the chat, you can't say he or she, him or her. Why is that?

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:07 pm

Eggness wrote:I entirely agree that people should be more polite and nicer. I also agree that no arguments or debates should be made, and swearing should not be allowed. I want to thank the moderator for a moment to check everyone's posts to make sure that there is no bad language. Koa, it is very nice of you to make sure that people do not start anything that is bad. :wink: But there is something in the game that bothers some people. In the chat, you can't say he or she, him or her. Why is that?
Mate related things are possible.
I don't feel that this is the right thread to discuss this matter, however.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:29 pm

This thread refers to the content of this forum and the threads that discuss issues surrounding wolves only. If you're wondering about the chat lexicon in the multiplayer game and why you can use certain words, please view this thread:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=39802

You may find other threads in the Chat Lexicon subforum useful, as well.

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Threads/topics that everyone can agree on doesn't contribute anything. Nothing is accomplished, nobody learns anything new. Controversial topics that spark debate are among the most important, because as long as everyone involved remains respectful and polite, users can hear arguments and points of view they may not have otherwise thought of on their own, bring information to light that they were not previously aware of, and give an opportunity for them to change their views. I understand the interest (that moderators have, in particular) to avoid heated, disrespectful arguments, but when avoiding anything that may cause a clash of opinions, we never advance our knowledge or become more well-rounded people. Especially with so many younger users, it should be considered particularly valuable to teach the skill of respectful debate, and of listening to and considering the opinions of others.
Willful ignorance is the lack of this skill, and the desire to simply shut out anything that clashes with one's beliefs. With an educational mission like WQ, this is precisely the sort of behavior that should be rejected.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:39 pm

Back when this thread was posted, the aim was not to stop any kind of debate and make everyone agree on everything, and I believe this is still true based on the current content of the thread. It is important to also consider the parts below that I have highlighted, which suggest that such controversial topics can be discussed under certain conditions. If the aim was to prevent any kind of controversial discussion or debate, they would most likely not have been included in the thread at all, since there's no point in saying there's no problem talking about something as long as it is polite and respectful if the subject in question is outright banned as a topic. The idea is, in fact, to allow for the polite and respectful debate that you have said is important, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
It is best to refrain from debates or posting topics you know will cause debates.
Good examples of such controversial issues are wolf hunts, wolves or humans being killed, and especially aerial hunting. As long as you politely discuss the matter, there is not a problem. Aerial hunting is very controversial and likely, if a thread is posted, will end up being carefully watched or locked. Post or discuss at your own risk. If we feel something is too controversial to be brought up on this forum, it will be locked.
- Remain respectful of all opinions.
Self-explanatory. Please remember to be considerate of others and their opinions.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:41 am

I post articles about wolf hunts, wolves killing humans, and so on— so I think that speaks for itself. I rarely lock topics in this forum unless (a the discussion on a particular thread gets out of hand with multiple users and we’re at a point where we need to issue warnings or (b the discussion on a particular thread is irrelevant or could be put to use elsewhere because said thread is outdated and was bumped up and is not the kind of thread that benefits anyone when it is bumped. As you are probably aware, I lock way more threads in the latter category.

In 2014-2015, we were having issues with these kinds of threads. That is no longer the case. Perhaps the sentence you highlighted should read, “It is best to avoid posting x threads if your aim is to bait individuals and/or you cannot discuss the matter in a polite manner.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:10 pm

^ in case of misunderstandings I was referring to the post above mine and not understanding where the problem suggested there was rather than the thread itself, just didn't quote it for length reasons. I understand the intent and point the thread is trying to make, heh.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:47 pm

valkea wrote:
^ in case of misunderstandings I was referring to the post above mine and not understanding where the problem suggested there was rather than the thread itself, just didn't quote it for length reasons. I understand the intent and point the thread is trying to make, heh.
No, I know, you're fine-- I was too lazy to quote Noctis' post and re-quote the sentences you highlighted. I know what you meant. :) Anyway, I'll be editing the first post since I wrote it three years ago and did so in a confusing manner .

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:35 pm

valkea wrote:
It is important to also consider the parts below that I have highlighted, which suggest that such controversial topics can be discussed under certain conditions. If the aim was to prevent any kind of controversial discussion or debate, they would most likely not have been included in the thread at all, since there's no point in saying there's no problem talking about something as long as it is polite and respectful if the subject in question is outright banned as a topic. The idea is, in fact, to allow for the polite and respectful debate that you have said is important, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
I understand, and could have inferred as much if it weren't for "It is best to refrain from debates or posting topics you know will cause debates", which confused me, as that seemingly states that debate is not allowed. It felt as though the rules conflicted, somewhat, that highlighted sentence in particular.

Anyway, I'm glad the rules were re-worded for clarity (Thank you, Koa). I wasn't aware this forum was having issues when these rules were posted, as I wasn't active in this particular forum then. Since it's been made clear that debate is allowed, would it be a good idea to add a 'debate guidelines' of sorts, to give an idea of what's expected from debate in this forum?
ŊØͻϯϋɇ