"APNewsBreak: More Mexican wolves in the wild"

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

"APNewsBreak: More Mexican wolves in the wild"

Post by Koa » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:26 am

APNewsBreak: More Mexican wolves in the wild

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Federal officials said Friday there are more Mexican gray wolves in the wild than there have been in each of the past five years, giving a glimmer of hope to a program that has struggled to return the endangered animals to the Southwest.

The annual survey results were released by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service after months of tracking the animals on the ground and from the air during helicopter and plane surveys done last month.
Read more at:
http://www.necn.com/02/03/12/APNewsBreak-More-Mexican-wolves-in-the-w/landing_scitech.html?&apID=55c79602c2d44913ac1ffc016dee3b72

Good news, but afterwards in the article it states that Tuggle said that the program planned to release more wolves, but "he declined to say how many or provide any details about the agency's preliminary plans. " Afterwards it goes on to say he made a similar statement last year, but no wolves were released.

Your thoughts?

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Re: "APNewsBreak: More Mexican wolves in the wild"

Post by BlackWarrior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:20 am

Well, depending how you look at this article, it could mean both good and sketchy.
I think it is great news to hear that this program has successfully contributed to the growth of these wolves' populations, although the statement you mentioned at the end somewhat worried me. I can't say I can simply judge this persona based on such small and shortly given facts, although I personally don't feel that his "statement" should be taken seriously, especially after hearing that the similar statement last year was never filled.
but who am I to say that they may ha e ran short in funding before the event could take place, and perhaps releasing more (even though there was limited info given) should be seen as a good thing.
Either way, thanks for sharing this Koa! ^^ Very interesting to hear about these sort of things.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks for your input, BlackWarrior!
I thought you and other readers would take interest in seeing a similar, although shorter, article regarding the same issue. Here's a article that was posted more recently regarding the matter -
http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2012/02/ ... row-again/
Mexican wolf population finally begins to grow again
By Ralph Maughan On February 5, 2012 · 3 Comments
Total jumps to 58-

After years of slow decline from a not very high level, finally in 2011 there was some good news for the beleaguered Mexican wolf restoration in Arizona/New Mexico. There appears to have been a 16% increase from 50 to 58 wolves in the wild. There are 12 packs and 6 breeding pairs. It appears that at least 18 pups were born in 2011. These more than offset 8 wolves that were found dead. The wolf program managers had one additional wolf killed because of “concern about safety.” Oddly, one wolf died when struck by lightning!

Unfortunately the release of more captive Mexican wolves is on hold. Arizona Fish and Game will only release them on a “case-by-case” basis, and New Mexico elected a tea party governor and withdrew from the program. Genetic diversity of the wolves is very low and more genes are needed.

The minimum goal for recovery is 100 Mexican wolves. Initially it was believed this number would be reached quickly. Opposition from ranchers and hysteria over this restoration of this smallish wolf has hampered the program from the start. Because no wild Mexican wolves were left in the world, they did not have the learned ability to take down prey like the grey wolves reintroduced into the Northern Rockies states. They had to learn from scratch.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Yes, these sort of things do interest me and i do enjoy reading up on such events. ^^
As for this new article you have shared, it appears that increasing Mexican Wolf populations arent as easy of a task as they initially thought: not that this sort of thing would be easy.
When releasing these sort of wolves, you have to take into account their natural instincts compared to what they actually know what to do ( such as hunting in the wild independantly ). You also have to realize that it could put community at risk or agitate surrounding farmers and ranchers. The matter is very complicated and has many steps towards success. Hopefully they will be released from "hold" soon enough when the time is right and when safety matter for both wolf and human will be properly taken care of.
:3
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

shadowwolf966
Yearling
Yearling

Post by shadowwolf966 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:59 pm

I would have to agree with BlackWarrior. While this is a good thing for the wolf population, there is no telling how the farmers and livestock owners will deal with this. Considering that they probably have not had to deal with the "problem" that they would call wolves, chances are they won't have some of the necessities it would take to keep wolves away from their cows and sheep. If this were the case, then these new wolves might go after their animals sometimes, and therefore agitate the farmers.... I'm wondering though whether or not there are other predators in the area, like cougars or coyotes, that might be the cause of safety measures already being taken.
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Shadow, proud to be a Tafuria of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../...........//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Siggie (c) Alpha Female