"Living with Michigan's wolves"

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

"Living with Michigan's wolves"

Post by Koa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Gray wolves in the western Great Lakes were recently taken off the endangered species list. Now, the state of Michigan is responsible for managing the wolf population.

Michael Nelson is a professor of environmental ethics at Michigan State University. He’s an author of a new report on people’s attitudes about wolves in Michigan. His report is based on a statewide telephone survey conducted in 2010.

Nelson says they asked people throughout the state how they felt about the following four statements (on a five point scale from strongly disagree to strongly agree):

"I enjoy knowing wolves exist in Michigan."
"I would be likely to purchase a license to hunt or trap wolves."
"The decision to hunt wolves should be made by public vote."
"Wolves should only be hunted if biologists believe the wolf population can sustain a hunt."

Michael Nelson says overall, Michiganders tend to value wolves.
Read more at:
www.michiganradio.org/post/living-michigans-wolves

I recall filling out a survey regarding wolves last year, although I do not live in Michigan - I believe it was a general survey regarding your feelings/views towards wolves. It is expected that wherever the wolves roam, some or the majority of residents may be unhappy with their existence. If I was in the same situation, I would be wary as well.