Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Mr Wolf25
Pup
Pup

Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by Mr Wolf25 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Unfortunately the Wolf Hunting season has been approved :( .
MADISON- The state Senate has approved a bill that would create a wolf hunt in Wisconsin.

The bill would establish a hunting and trapping season that would run from mid-October through the end of February. The Department of Natural Resources would be allowed to determine how many licenses to issue. If the number of applicants exceed the number of licenses, the DNR would award half of the licenses randomly and the other half to applicants with the most preference points.
Source: http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/141652413.html
Mr Wolf25
Member of Storm Point Pack (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60294)
Banishing Winds Pack (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45840)

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:16 am

Oh no that really bad and what do u mean it approved ?

am not getting it is good or bad?

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Hunting overpopulated animals is ok, like deer and turkey. Possibly, just maybe, hunting very common wolves could be acceptable, but it may result in unbalanced ecosystem(s). If the number of wolves drastically decreases, then the number of deer and rabbits may rise, as one of their natural predators is being hunted. The higher amount of deer may eat lots of plants, possibly causing a decrease in the amount of food for them and any other species that eat the plants. If the decreased food amount affects smaller prey like rabbits, then once the wolf population rises again, they may be short of food since the deer and rabbits are suffering starvation. Over-hunting can affect ecosystems directly, if the population of the animal being hunted is decreased too much.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Still not amused at the whole concept of giving yourself the right how many other living beings may live or die, but I guess that if there is a case of overpopulation and an unbalanced ecosystem it is still sort of justified. Too bad to hear, though.
wyrd bið ful aræd
* inactive until further notice due to time and hardware limitations

firawolf
Pup
Pup

Post by firawolf » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:56 am

ahhhhhh faint hours later looks at screen aaaahhhh faint :( i can't believe it :x i think im going to faint just seeing that again why would they do that im heart broken im going to now steal every wolf in the US and hide them in my room so they don't get shot well i would if i could but mom said no
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Fal, proud to be a Lead Qwazi of the African Stars Pride

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:22 pm

firawolf wrote:ahhhhhh faint hours later looks at screen aaaahhhh faint :( i can't believe it :x i think im going to faint just seeing that again why would they do that im heart broken im going to now steal every wolf in the US and hide them in my room so they don't get shot well i would if i could but mom said no
In reality, that would be a bad idea. Also, it is encouraged to keep role-playing on the forums to a minimum...
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:03 pm

Edme1 wrote:Hunting overpopulated animals is ok, like deer and turkey. Possibly, just maybe, hunting very common wolves could be acceptable, but it may result in unbalanced ecosystem(s). If the number of wolves drastically decreases, then the number of deer and rabbits may rise, as one of their natural predators is being hunted. The higher amount of deer may eat lots of plants, possibly causing a decrease in the amount of food for them and any other species that eat the plants. If the decreased food amount affects smaller prey like rabbits, then once the wolf population rises again, they may be short of food since the deer and rabbits are suffering starvation. Over-hunting can affect ecosystems directly, if the population of the animal being hunted is decreased too much.
Quite frankly there are numerous predators out there that would carry on regardless whether the wolf had been re-introduced to the states or not. Bears, mountain lions, and coyotes are a few. Considering wolves are a challenge to hunt down in the first place, the numbers under managed hunting won't fall as drastically as you think; they will fall enough so that the population is balanced. The ecosystem wasn't in crisis after wolves left and if anything there has been more controversy in their return.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Leopardstar919
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Standing behind you with a sniper rifle >:D (Hint... RUN! :333)

Post by Leopardstar919 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:09 pm

They just got off the extinction list in Wisconsin, and now people want to hunt them? Is it just me or does this not make any sence? ._.
Avvie: snowywolf101
Siggie: Me

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:51 am

Leopardstar919 wrote:They just got off the extinction list in Wisconsin, and now people want to hunt them? Is it just me or does this not make any sence? ._.
I promise you that you need not be so worried. The gray wolf numbers in the United States are doing well and removal from the list overall has been long overdue. Hunting is a necessary part of proper wildlife management. :wink:

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Seriously!? I don't mean to get 'psycho' here, but this is absolutely ridiculous! Simply put, like Silverness said, thinking you have the right to just sign a paper and have a bunch of wolves (or any animal, for that matter) die is very cruel and inhuman to me. Or instead of inhuman, just plain awful I get the concept of 'wildlife management', but there must be a balance between sensability and violence. :evil:
I wish the best to those wolves in Wisconsin.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 am

I personally don't see this as too "inhumane". They're trying to regulate how many wolves are killed, and how many people they are killed by. If they didn't do this, I imagine that too many people would be going out to hunt wolves, and more wolves than necessary would die. As for wolves being hunted, I'm afraid it's something we all just have to live with. The wolf population could get out of control if things like this didn't happen, and while wolves are very beautiful animals, I don't think it'd be a good thing if we suddenly had wolves everywhere.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:48 am

So it's actually helping the wolves in a way? Well, either way, the trapping thing is outright animal cruelty! Humans should think, 'What if I was an animal with my leg caught in one of those vicious things? How would I feel? I wouldn't understand it!"

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 pm

_Denali_ wrote:So it's actually helping the wolves in a way? Well, either way, the trapping thing is outright animal cruelty! Humans should think, 'What if I was an animal with my leg caught in one of those vicious things? How would I feel? I wouldn't understand it!"
It's life. It's just the role we must take as humans. We respect the creatures enough to manage them properly and make sure they don't get out of control. We may not have our legs in traps but we do some pretty nasty things to each other already, and that's enough.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Koa wrote:
_Denali_ wrote:So it's actually helping the wolves in a way? Well, either way, the trapping thing is outright animal cruelty! Humans should think, 'What if I was an animal with my leg caught in one of those vicious things? How would I feel? I wouldn't understand it!"
It's life. It's just the role we must take as humans. We respect the creatures enough to manage them properly and make sure they don't get out of control. We may not have our legs in traps but we do some pretty nasty things to each other already, and that's enough.
I know what you mean. You know, I don't mean to act dumb or anything, but I'm really beginning to have my doubts about us/humans and what 'human' or 'inhuman' means, judging by how badly some people treat other people, let alone animals. I mean seriously, people just seem...out of place. :?

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:19 am

_Denali_ wrote:
I know what you mean. You know, I don't mean to act wonderful or anything, but I'm really beginning to have my doubts about us/humans and what 'human' or 'inhuman' means, judging by how badly some people treat other people, let alone animals. I mean seriously, people just seem...out of place. :?

Wolves don't exactly care about the suffering they cause. They eat prey alive, slaughter the cubs of other predators (or just kill their parents and leave orphans) and kill each other plenty enough.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Return to “Wolf Conservation”