Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by calxmity » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:42 am

_Denali_ wrote:Seriously!? I don't mean to get 'psycho' here, but this is absolutely ridiculous! Simply put, like Silverness said, thinking you have the right to just sign a paper and have a bunch of wolves (or any animal, for that matter) die is very cruel and inhuman to me. Or instead of inhuman, just plain awful I get the concept of 'wildlife management', but there must be a balance between sensability and violence. :evil:
I wish the best to those wolves in Wisconsin.
Its not cruel; we're only humans. It's the way of life, I mean, the wolf population is large in the US. So what Im saying is that wolves aren't going anywher any time soon.
green - cavetown

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:09 am
Gender: Female
Location: Do you hear the people sing?

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:49 pm

I don't like to talk about or see wolves dying, however, wolves' numbers may be rising over there (I don't know what reason they passed it for) and hunting is nescesarry. If the wolves attacked livestock, then that's another reason, because some people survive solely on that money coming from the animals. If their cattle or sheep or whatever were to die, they would probably starve. Going back to the over population, wolves (along with the factors other predators put in) could eat too much deer or elk and therefore cause a starvation among themselves. In these instances, a hunt would benifit the wolves, actually.

So, pretty much what I feel is that I don't like seeing wolves die, but as long as the hunt is for a legitamate cause, I would support it.
Arrow
Hunting with the pack for 2 years
Rumors
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71954
Definition
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72174

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by _Denali_ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:21 pm

ArrowWolf005 wrote:I don't like to talk about or see wolves dying, however, wolves' numbers may be rising over there (I don't know what reason they passed it for) and hunting is nescesarry. If the wolves attacked livestock, then that's another reason, because some people survive solely on that money coming from the animals. If their cattle or sheep or whatever were to die, they would probably starve. Going back to the over population, wolves (along with the factors other predators put in) could eat too much deer or elk and therefore cause a starvation among themselves. In these instances, a hunt would benifit the wolves, actually.

So, pretty much what I feel is that I don't like seeing wolves die, but as long as the hunt is for a legitamate cause, I would support it.
I sort of agree that if it's for a logical cause that actually benefits the wolves, then it's OK I guess. But I still will never actually AGREE with things like this.

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12990
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by Koa » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:08 pm

ArrowWolf005 wrote:I don't like to talk about or see wolves dying, however, wolves' numbers may be rising over there (I don't know what reason they passed it for) and hunting is nescesarry. If the wolves attacked livestock, then that's another reason, because some people survive solely on that money coming from the animals. If their cattle or sheep or whatever were to die, they would probably starve. Going back to the over population, wolves (along with the factors other predators put in) could eat too much deer or elk and therefore cause a starvation among themselves. In these instances, a hunt would benifit the wolves, actually.

So, pretty much what I feel is that I don't like seeing wolves die, but as long as the hunt is for a legitamate cause, I would support it.
They can also take game away from hunters -- when wolves create "disaster areas" it affects both wolf and hunter, too.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by _Denali_ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:11 pm

Well, I understand both sides (especially supporting wolves/Nature) because on one hand, wolves were far more widespread, and the environment was undisturbed until Europeans and other people (excluding Natives, who actually respected the animals) came here and stole large portions of land from wolves and other animals, thus disturbing the Natural Order and Balance.

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12990
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by Koa » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:21 pm

_Denali_ wrote:Well, I understand both sides (especially supporting wolves/Nature) because on one hand, wolves were far more widespread, and the environment was undisturbed until Europeans and other people (excluding Natives, who actually respected the animals) came here and stole large portions of land from wolves and other animals, thus disturbing the Natural Order and Balance.

As aforementioned earlier, there is really no escaping the role we play as humans. The world will continue to move and move onwards, "disrupting the natural order and balance" or not; we cannot really erase our past nor prevent our footprints from being left, whether negative or positive. Its important to realize that and not dwell too much on the past when it comes to the planent and ilk. We have to deal with what we have now, and these gray wolves must be handled as they should be -- as predators.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by _Denali_ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 pm

I understand, but I wish with all my heart that I and we, could have a different role in life.

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12990
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by Koa » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:25 pm

_Denali_ wrote:I understand, but I wish with all my heart that I and we, could have a different role in life.
We can wish all we want but it won't really help the wildlife or the wolves, or Wisconsin's wolves for that matter, at the end of the day.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by _Denali_ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Yes, although wolves obviously aren't bloodthirsty or nasty predators. WolfQuest and other studies have shown this; wolves are very social and use complex communication like humans and other primates do.

User avatar
valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 3491
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:58 am
Name: Rowan
Gender: Male
Location: southern icefields

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by valkea » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:35 pm

I wouldn't necessarily say that wolves aren't "bloodthirsty". Remember, they have to kill and eat other animals to survive. That can be considered bloodthirsty.
We're getting a bit off-topic, though. Let's try to return our focus back to the wolf hunt bill being approved ^^
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

_____________________

avatar - lupinzpack

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by _Denali_ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Well, by 'bloodthirsty' I basically mean mindless beasts that kill other creatures without needing to do it to survive. And humans also kill to eat: some livestock are raised for this.

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12990
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by Koa » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:39 pm

Wolves do participate in surplus killing when it comes to their diet. This hunting going on in Wisconsin is beside the "bloodthristy" point, though; I think a lot of folks have come away from that and are more for or against the issue of cattle; in addition to that statement, I think a lot of pro-wolf folks BELIEVE that people still view wolves as "bloodthirsty" when in reality the majority of folks are the exact opposite and way too naive about wolves and see them as innocent creatures.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by _Denali_ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:42 pm

I don't necessarily see them as totally 'innocent', but I do see them as beautiful animals that should be respected just as any other living thing is; humans are, in truth, pretty equal to the other animals. (although I don't consider humans truly from nature or as animals.)

User avatar
valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 3491
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:58 am
Name: Rowan
Gender: Male
Location: southern icefields

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by valkea » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 pm

As I said above, let's try to focus back on the wolf hunt bill, since this conversation seems to have gotten away from us a bit ^^
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

_____________________

avatar - lupinzpack

Shadowtalon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Wisconsin Senate approves wolf hunt bill!

Post by Shadowtalon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:20 pm

_Denali_ wrote:Well, I understand both sides (especially supporting wolves/Nature) because on one hand, wolves were far more widespread, and the environment was undisturbed until Europeans and other people (excluding Natives, who actually respected the animals) came here and stole large portions of land from wolves and other animals, thus disturbing the Natural Order and Balance.
Even when the Natives respected animals, it didn't mean they didn't kill wolves as well. You cannot exclude Natives because they just respected other animals.

Post Reply

Return to “Wolf Conservation”