Wolves authorized to be shot in France

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Wolves authorized to be shot in France

Post by Koa » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:55 pm

(This is a controversial subject, but I am posting this since everything has remained civil so far. Do not make a moderator lock it. Thanks!)

First, I'd recommend reading the following thread that was posted earlier last month, which will give you a good idea of the tension occuring in France.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67907
France authorises shooting of two wolves
27 August 2012 | 17:17 | FOCUS News Agency
Home / European Union
Paris. France has authorised the shooting of two wolves - the equivalent of one percent of the surviving population - following attacks on sheep in the southeast of the country, AFP reported.
Authorities on Monday issued an order for one wolf to be shot in the Alpes de Haute Provence area, following a similar move last week in the nearby Var region.
Local farmers say about 130 sheep have been killed or injured in wolf attacks in the last year.
The orders, which will remain in place until late September, can be issued when local conservation officials judge that attacks on livestock have reached a threshold which makes it necessary to reduce numbers of the predators.
Environmentalists and animal rights groups are critical of the policy of authorising what are effectively mini-culls of a protected species, arguing that they exist purely to placate a farming lobby which is prone to exaggerating the damage done by wolves.
Around 200 wolves survive in the wild in France, mainly in the southeastern corner of the country but also in the Pyrenees.
http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n285959
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Wolves authorized to be shot in France

Post by _Denali_ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 pm

To be honest, this kind of this is really upsetting. Humans have killed wolves for years and years now, a lot of this because of livestock. Personally, I think Native people, who did not raise animals for food, had the right idea in the first place.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:33 am

Well, some people live off of livestock. If you lived off of animals that wolves killed, would you just ignore the wolves even though they're potentially destroying your livelihood?

Though, I agree, it's not great that wolves in France are being killed, seeing as there are so few of them in France to begin with.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:44 am

Well, I would at least be humane to the wolves and have some common sense.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:45 am

What would you do to them, then? Just curious, since I don't see many other options for those protecting their livelihoods.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:51 am

Well, first I would try trapping the wolves, but NEVER with those horrible leg-traps! I would use the basic cage-trap, which just lures the wolf in with some food, then the cage closes behind it without harming the wolf. Then, I would make sure I caught as many wolves as I could, then see to it that wildlife services safely relocated the wolves to a proper refuge for them.

And if I was really forced to kill them, I would do it humanely. (well, I would never kill a wolf anyway!)

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Well, first I would try trapping the wolves, but NEVER with those horrible leg-traps! I would use the basic cage-trap, which just lures the wolf in with some food, then the cage closes behind it without harming the wolf. Then, I would make sure I caught as many wolves as I could, then see to it that wildlife services safely relocated the wolves to a proper refuge for them.
What if that method didn't work? I think there's a reason why it's used so seldomly.
And if I was really forced to kill them, I would do it humanely. (well, I would never kill a wolf anyway!)
How do you "humanely" kill a wolf? Shooting is the quickest method.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:51 pm

1) I would never use those leg-traps. EVER. Period. It's sick and wrong!
2) Shooting or euthanizing it the quickest.
3) Although I never have and never will agree with killing wolves.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:38 pm

_Denali_ wrote:1) I would never use those leg-traps. EVER. Period. It's sick and wrong!
2) Shooting or euthanizing it the quickest.
3) Although I never have and never will agree with killing wolves.
Euthanizing is NOT the quickest method - it takes a LOT of effort just to capture a wolf. It's even difficult finding and locating the wolves just to shoot them - can you imagine the manpower needed to trap ONE wolf and euthanize it? Sorry, but that isn't really plausible at all. Shooting works much better.

Shooting and leg-traps/traps in general all have their downfalls, but you don't just walk into the forest and see a wolf. It takes a lot of time and effort to hunt these animals, and different methods can work better in certain areas or regions; there are many factors. It's a bit of a generalization to say "they are sick" and "they are wrong."

But why? They're just like any other predator. There are SO many other animals right now that are in way more dire straights than wolves right now, sorry.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:53 pm

I still find those leg and snare traps disturbing. It's just plain not the right way to treat living things!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:17 pm

_Denali_ wrote:I still find those leg and snare traps disturbing. It's just plain not the right way to treat living things!
It happens - we shoot eachother every day, and you could argue that is certainly not a way to treat living things, either, but there's really not much you can do. Wolves will be treated and should be treated just like any other predator. The leg traps happen and some are not as humane as we'd all prefer, but again the traps can be useful for a certain type of situation or case and assist where shooting may be unrealiable or difficult in certain conditions. As previously mentioned, wolves can be difficult to track down and kill, and sometimes you need a certain method, or a combination of methods, rather, to fill in the gaps where other methods cannot.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Koa wrote:
_Denali_ wrote:I still find those leg and snare traps disturbing. It's just plain not the right way to treat living things!
It happens - we shoot eachother every day, and you could argue that is certainly not a way to treat living things, either, but there's really not much you can do. Wolves will be treated and should be treated just like any other predator. The leg traps happen and some are not as humane as we'd all prefer, but again the traps can be useful for a certain type of situation or case and assist where shooting may be unrealiable or difficult in certain conditions. As previously mentioned, wolves can be difficult to track down and kill, and sometimes you need a certain method, or a combination of methods, rather, to fill in the gaps where other methods cannot.
Although, I discovered recently while researching wolf conservation on the Web that wolves are still being trapped for 'sport' up in Canada. Especially because no one is benefiting from this, I find it very sick and disturbing that these people actually enjoy it! And worse yet, they let the wolves suffer for a while before shooting them! :cry: / :evil:

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:34 pm

_Denali_ wrote: Although, I discovered recently while researching wolf conservation on the Web that wolves are still being trapped for 'sport' up in Canada. Especially because no one is benefiting from this, I find it very sick and disturbing that these people actually enjoy it! And worse yet, they let the wolves suffer for a while before shooting them! :cry: / :evil:
There are 50,000+ wolves in Canada - they're like the deer here in the United States especially; they can and will be hunted. That's just how it is. Deers, rabbits, and ilk have masses of numbers in North America as a whole, and yet you not arguing for them to be trapped when they are too abundant in their own right is rather confusing, considering wolves in Canada are so up their in their own number and can act as game compared to other areas of the world where it may "seem" they are not for sport.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Well, I heard in an official news headline as well as saw in a photo that this man was actuall GRINNING for a CAMERA with a trapped, bleeding wolf limping around in the background! I also read that he was THROWING things at it and TAUNTING it instead of just shooting the poor thing and getting it over with. I painfully saw many others, and it was pretty graphic and horrible. I wish people would just shoot them instead of doing that, because that's outright animal cruelty. Even the Wildlife Foundation and many other foundations said so. I understand that population control is important, but it should be done without causing the animals to suffer. And if a hare was trapped, that would just be gross.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:11 pm

_Denali_ wrote:Well, I heard in an official news headline as well as saw in a photo that this man was actuall GRINNING for a CAMERA with a trapped, bleeding wolf limping around in the background! I also read that he was THROWING things at it and TAUNTING it instead of just shooting the poor thing and getting it over with. I painfully saw many others, and it was pretty graphic and horrible. I wish people would just shoot them instead of doing that, because that's outright animal cruelty. Even the Wildlife Foundation and many other foundations said so. I understand that population control is important, but it should be done without causing the animals to suffer. And if a hare was trapped, that would just be gross.

I haven't heard of that story, but I do not think the majority of hunters, whether in France or elsewhere, follow such protocol. Most hunters are very responsible and hunt for the valid reasons. It is a shame that we feel compelled to put the blame on a group as a whole for one man's negative actions, but it happens, especially with controversial subjects like this.

Return to “Wolf Conservation”