Wolves in new danger

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Alfachick13
Pup
Pup

Wolves in new danger

Post by Alfachick13 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:57 am

I was reading an magazeene (science world) and in it it said that scientists were doing heat scans and found out that the yellowstone wolf population was in danger. They are being affected by a new disease called Sarcoptic Mange. It recently entered YellowStone a while after the wolves where introduced again. this disease is making the wolfs really itchy and causes them to scratch themselves so the lose there fur, this fur shields them from the cold. to replace the heat in the winter they are losing they have to eat more, so they have to hunt more. wolves with mange are vunerable to freezing, starvation, and infections. Mange is now found in all of yellowstone's wolf packs (since 2009), and a suspected half of them cary the disease. Mange has been partly to blame for wiping out three seperate packs. scientists are doing all they can to help but there is very little they can do to treat it If anyone want to share if you heard about this please do.
Last edited by Alfachick13 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how hard you try you can still fail but the real message is to not give up but to learn from your mistakes.
-Luna

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Wolves in new danger

Post by Koa » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 pm

When was this? As far as online or at least the website I regularly check, I see nothing of the sort, although I could easily be missing something.
In terms of articles, I recommend that if you plan on sharing a certain article, it is something that is online as it is more accessible and thus easier to understand what you are talking about as opposed to just a magazine brand that we may not have with us.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Alfachick13
Pup
Pup

Post by Alfachick13 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:57 pm

our school get a magazeen called science world and that is were i found it in if you want to know the diesies is actualy a posing treat to the wolfs and has affected a few of them
No matter how hard you try you can still fail but the real message is to not give up but to learn from your mistakes.
-Luna

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Alfachick13 wrote:our school get a magazeen called science world and that is were i found it in if you want to know the diesies is actualy a posing treat to the wolfs and has affected a few of them
Ah, I see. Do you know the date printed on the wolf article, perhaps, or the date of the magazine issue? :)

Alfachick13
Pup
Pup

Post by Alfachick13 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:08 pm

no i dont know the date but it is last months copy i tried to look for it but i couldnt find a link
-Luna

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Hm, alright. I haven't found anything on the site I frequent for wolf updates but it is possible that I may have overlooked something. If I find anything, I will let you know and post it here rather than creating a new topic about it.

Alfachick13
Pup
Pup

Post by Alfachick13 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:26 am

thanks i appreciate that but it is last months issue and has a picture of a wolf in a heat scope

Edit: I just got my hands on the artical again i updated the top for more referance
Last edited by valkea on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added information from a double post
-Luna

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Alfachick13 wrote:thanks i appreciate that but it is last months issue and has a picture of a wolf in a heat scope

Edit: I just got my hands on the artical again i updated the top for more referance
Please edit your previous post instead of double posting, it makes things easier for us ^^ Thanks!
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

moonlite126
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by moonlite126 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:31 pm

yhea I have heard of that. mange is some pretty bad stuff too and can be deadly also another thing that I think is sad is that now that wolves are unprotected in some states such as in mine, now trophy hunters are going to hunt wolve ahh! I am sad about that :evil: :cry: :cry:
walks away in to the darkness of night wanting to be,
no longer know just to become a shadow
in a black room

- SOUL -

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:48 pm

moonlite126 wrote:yhea I have heard of that. mange is some pretty bad stuff too and can be deadly also another thing that I think is sad is that now that wolves are unprotected in some states such as in mine, now trophy hunters are going to hunt wolve ahh! I am sad about that :evil: :cry: :cry:
Overall, gray wolves' numbers are very stable and have been recovered for awhile; they need to be hunted so their population is kept in check and confrontations with humans/residences are avoided as much as possible. They are not going to go extinct anytime soon. :wink:

Alfachick13
Pup
Pup

Post by Alfachick13 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:25 am

i know they are not going to die soon but it is sad to think that my favorite animal is haveing two things kill it mange and now humans :(
-Luna

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Alfachick13 wrote:i know they are not going to die soon but it is sad to think that my favorite animal is haveing two things kill it mange and now humans :(
Bears, pumas (cougars, catamounts, etc., same animal) and other predators kill/are capable of killing wolves as well. Try not to limit the factors to just "mange and now humans." Mange may help keep their numbers in check in areas where humans might normally have to. Granted, humans will have to step in anyway, but it helps.

Silverfang88
Pup
Pup

Post by Silverfang88 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:30 pm

Don't forget, not all humans are killing wolves. Tis mostly ranchers and as a matter of fact, most humans try to protect wolves, believe it or not. Also, wolves are very capable of adapting, so this disease might not affect them much in the future. :wink:
No longer active Might check in every few months

Return to “Wolf Conservation”