Wolf Management

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Post Reply

Which wolf management methods do you think are the most humane and/or the best?

Relocation
2
33%
Shooting
3
50%
Trapping
1
17%
 
Total votes: 6

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Wolf Management

Post by _Denali_ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Vote for which ways you think are the best and/or most humane to use for "wolf management". Although I don't really 'agree' with killing or harming wildlife, especially wolves, period. Personally, I see trapping as animal cruelty and as the worst possible method and I'll always see it that way. I voted for relocation because it's humane, and I'd possibly vote for shooting as far as effectiveness.
Last edited by _Denali_ on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12891
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Wolf Management

Post by Koa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:06 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again, relocation is just not the way to handle wolves especially. Please see my post here-
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... n#p1770002
There was a general consensus on the thread that relocation just isn't as effective as removing the actual animal(s) from the population.

Relocation also deals with ONE animal at a time. The process in its entirety is too slow to deal with potential livestock losses and prevent even more damage. It already takes a lot of time to track down a wolf and shoot it - can you imagine the time it takes to gather the resources for relocation, prepping for the situation, finding the animal, tranquilizing the animal (which can be equally as dangerous as shooting the animal, if not more dangerous), loading it into a form of transportation, finding a place to unload the animal, unload the animal, and only to have ti be a problem again? Relocation is very impractical for wolves.

Please also see this link for more information on relocation-
http://icwdm.org/wildlife/euthanasia/Relocation.aspx
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Re: Wolf Management

Post by _Denali_ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Ok, but I though this topic would be interesting to see what people would think. ^^

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12891
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Wolf Management

Post by Koa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:08 pm

It's something you've seemed to really stick by so I thought I'd make the subject of relocation a bit more detailed and really give you insight on exactly how ineffective the process is. I would highly recommend checking out the last link I provided. Thank you. (;
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Re: Wolf Management

Post by _Denali_ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Ok, I'll check it out when I get a chance. ;)

User avatar
La Striata
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Wadi-Abu-Diba

Re: Wolf Management

Post by La Striata » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:00 am

A combination of trapping and shooting, though I think trapping is more effective, as shooting alone involves stalking them (which is nigh impossible, due to the wolves' sharp senses), and each shot would alert other wolves.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Re: Wolf Management

Post by _Denali_ » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:43 am

Although trapping is very cruel and has a potential to trap any other animal that ISN'T the hunt-query. Good reasoning, but shooting is the quickest, most humane method. ^^

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12891
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Wolf Management

Post by Koa » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:07 pm

_Denali_ wrote:Although trapping is very cruel and has a potential to trap any other animal that ISN'T the hunt-query. Good reasoning, but shooting is the quickest, most humane method. ^^
Shooting isn't always the 'best' for certain situations either, and neither is trapping. You have to weigh in what the factors are and ultimately what would be the best solution (shooting or trapping, or both) that suits that particular case and makes it the most efficient. While gearing your methods towards whether something is "humane" or not is noble, it really isn't as practical when you must take in account a great deal of other factors that determine the success of managing wolves effectively.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Wolf Management

Post by calxmity » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm going to say what I personally think here; not saying it's all exactly true. To me, there is no "humane" way of trapping/killing/or whatever. That's just the way life is. People can kill all they want and call it 'humane.' Nothing relating to relocating/killing/trapping is humane. Shooting is one of the quickest, I agree, but is it always necessary? In some areas of the argument, why should we shoot? Why couldn't we trap, instead? This is what I'm trying to get at- there just really isn't a humane way of doing so.
green - cavetown

User avatar
1BitJay
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:06 pm
Name: Jay,
Gender: Female
Location: Home: Missouri // College: Illinois // #2498D8 my color<3

Re: Wolf Management

Post by 1BitJay » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Lit wrote:I'm going to say what I personally think here; not saying it's all exactly true. To me, there is no "humane" way of trapping/killing/or whatever. That's just the way life is. People can kill all they want and call it 'humane.' Nothing relating to relocating/killing/trapping is humane. Shooting is one of the quickest, I agree, but is it always necessary? In some areas of the argument, why should we shoot? Why couldn't we trap, instead? This is what I'm trying to get at- there just really isn't a humane way of doing so.
It is a possibly that it can be necessary. Because relocating and translocating might not be effective. It is not always easy to just release an animal in an new location. There must be enough room to hold the animal yet enough foam population to find mates. As wolves are an intelligent creature, if you relocate to an new area not very far away, they can find their way back as a wolf enjoys to roam and usually have a large territory. They do not change their ways and the effects of warnings shots and forms of intimidation might not be applicable as they are hard to track and repetition is the key if you are looking rouse that tactic. One shot would not effectively scare the wolf away from bad habits.
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay
#8137

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12891
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Wolf Management

Post by Koa » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Lit wrote:I'm going to say what I personally think here; not saying it's all exactly true. To me, there is no "humane" way of trapping/killing/or whatever. That's just the way life is. People can kill all they want and call it 'humane.' Nothing relating to relocating/killing/trapping is humane. Shooting is one of the quickest, I agree, but is it always necessary? In some areas of the argument, why should we shoot? Why couldn't we trap, instead? This is what I'm trying to get at- there just really isn't a humane way of doing so.
There isn't really a humane way/I concur, but if people or conservation groups want to think there's some humane way, be my guest. You really don't know unless you're the wolf itself. They'll find out what's effective and what isn't, or you'd hope they'd know by now, but then again, the ones that are against the killing of wolves completely don't, really.
JayMist wrote:
Lit wrote:I'm going to say what I personally think here; not saying it's all exactly true. To me, there is no "humane" way of trapping/killing/or whatever. That's just the way life is. People can kill all they want and call it 'humane.' Nothing relating to relocating/killing/trapping is humane. Shooting is one of the quickest, I agree, but is it always necessary? In some areas of the argument, why should we shoot? Why couldn't we trap, instead? This is what I'm trying to get at- there just really isn't a humane way of doing so.
It is a possibly that it can be necessary. Because relocating and translocating might not be effective. It is not always easy to just release an animal in an new location. There must be enough room to hold the animal yet enough foam population to find mates. As wolves are an intelligent creature, if you relocate to an new area not very far away, they can find their way back as a wolf enjoys to roam and usually have a large territory. They do not change their ways and the effects of warnings shots and forms of intimidation might not be applicable as they are hard to track and repetition is the key if you are looking rouse that tactic. One shot would not effectively scare the wolf away from bad habits.
Her post was geared towards humane methods... the questions she asked were just mimicing the questions that other people tend or ask/bicker about shooting versus trapping and whether or not one is more humane than the other.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:09 am
Gender: Female
Location: Do you hear the people sing?

Re: Wolf Management

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:11 pm

I voted for shooting and trapping as far as effectiveness. I try not to be too antagonistic towards relocation, but the wolf will just be a problem elsewhere and would likely die there, anyway. Shooting is faster and if it is a good shot, the wolf likely wouldn't suffer. But, wolves are sly adversaries, and trapping is faster- much faster than shooting. You merely return to the trap site. However, if you truly wanted to trap the wolf without harming it (excluding stress), you could try (key word being try here) those traps where the door closes behind the animal once it enters. But those may cost much more, and some people are not willing to bankrupt themselves to save animals that eat their livelihoods. Sometimes killing some wolves, such as population management, can help the entire population as a whole.
Arrow
Hunting with the pack for 2 years
Rumors
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71954
Definition
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72174

Blue Scarred
Pup
Pup
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:33 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Wolf Management

Post by Blue Scarred » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:38 am

Ok. I voted for trappping. I agree with some people here who say that "none of the choices are 'humane' " because they are correct. Now, let me give you an example. If you shoot an animal, obviously, you just hurt it. If you shot it multiple times, you just killed it. If you relocated an animal, you have to knock it out, correct? Hmm. Now, how would you knock it out? Tranquilizer. Some wolves are old, and when put to sleep, might not wake up. Same with pups. The liquid could be very effective. Trapping, is safer for the animal, but has it's bad side too. Let's say you put some bait in the trap, such as a dead lemming, perhaps. Obviously it will want the delicious lemming as easy prey, and climb into that "itty-bitty" trap. That "itty-bitty" trap is too "itty-bitty" for the wolf to fit in, and will slam shut right on it's midsection or tail. Yea, so technically, that wolf will lose a limb because of you. Get the point everyone? Leave the wolf alone. Be free. The most simple way to maintain their population, is to harm them. Don't do that. Let them die how they would like to. Wolves, in my perspective, are responsible animals. They'll know when it's their time.

<3~ Blue

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12891
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Wolf Management

Post by Koa » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:27 am

Blue Scarred wrote:Trapping, is safer for the animal, but has it's bad side too. Let's say you put some bait in the trap, such as a dead lemming, perhaps. Obviously it will want the delicious lemming as easy prey, and climb into that "itty-bitty" trap. That "itty-bitty" trap is too "itty-bitty" for the wolf to fit in, and will slam shut right on it's midsection or tail. Yea, so technically, that wolf will lose a limb because of you. Get the point everyone? Leave the wolf alone. Be free. The most simple way to maintain their population, is to harm them. Don't do that. Let them die how they would like to. Wolves, in my perspective, are responsible animals. They'll know when it's their time.

<3~ Blue
The wolf will also be dead most likely. Your post is very contradicting and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make -- are you for wolves even being hunted or not? You previously mentioned that you voted for trapping/a blurb and other information which I did not see necessary re-quoting in my response, yet at the end you say "they will lose a limb because of you" (rather accusatory statement) and then you proceed to conclude your statement with phrases that almost suggest that you are not for hunting and instead want the wolf to be managed by itself? If you meant to say that you believe trapping is the only proper method but would rather have wolves manage themselves, perhaps you might want to clarify your opinion a bit better in the future. Regardless, and to your latter statement, in a perfect world, wolves managing themselves would be an amazing solution. The same would be true if it was possible for many other animals. But it isn't -- animals managing themselves is a highly unrealistic point of view due to (a our presence and (b our expansion. It's simply not feasible, and thus wolves and other animals must be managed/hunted properly. If it was an actual solution, I'm sure we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Wolf Management

Post by calxmity » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Blue Scarred wrote:Ok. I voted for trappping. I agree with some people here who say that "none of the choices are 'humane' " because they are correct. Now, let me give you an example. If you shoot an animal, obviously, you just hurt it. If you shot it multiple times, you just killed it. If you relocated an animal, you have to knock it out, correct? Hmm. Now, how would you knock it out? Tranquilizer. Some wolves are old, and when put to sleep, might not wake up. Same with pups. The liquid could be very effective. Trapping, is safer for the animal, but has it's bad side too. Let's say you put some bait in the trap, such as a dead lemming, perhaps. Obviously it will want the delicious lemming as easy prey, and climb into that "itty-bitty" trap. That "itty-bitty" trap is too "itty-bitty" for the wolf to fit in, and will slam shut right on it's midsection or tail. Yea, so technically, that wolf will lose a limb because of you. Get the point everyone? Leave the wolf alone. Be free. The most simple way to maintain their population, is to harm them. Don't do that. Let them die how they would like to. Wolves, in my perspective, are responsible animals. They'll know when it's their time.

<3~ Blue
Well, if you trapped it and moved it, then what if the animal couldn't find everything it needs? What if they aren't used to that climate/area/or whatever. I'm not trying to pick a fight; but I'm trying to get everyone to understand that to me, trapping is probably the worst. You'd kill it anyways, most likely. I mean, if you 'shot' it with the sleep arrows, and moved it, it doesn't know where it's natural resources are. It doesn't know how to hunt (if it was a case where new prey was located) it's prey. So, your basically sentencing it to death. Though, some cases, if your moving it nearby, I can deal with it. But if your sending a wolf from Idaho to Jasper Park, then I'd probably be upset.
green - cavetown

Post Reply

Return to “Wolf Conservation”