Yellowstone's 'Famous' Alpha Female Shot and Killed

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling

Yellowstone's 'Famous' Alpha Female Shot and Killed

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 pm

abcnews.com wrote:The killing of the "most famous wolf in the world" at Yellowstone National Park is coinciding with wildlife officials discussing potential new restrictions for hunting near the park.

A collared female alpha wolf known as 832F to researchers and '06 -- for the year she was born -- to fans, was legally killed Thursday in Wyoming outside the park's protected area. She was part of the renowned Lamar Canyon pack.

"She was without a doubt the most famous wolf in the world, hands down," Kim Bean, vice president of Wolves of the Rockies, told ABCNews.com. "I watched her since her birth, basically. She was an amazing wolf to watch. She was definitely the most researched in the park. ... She's gone."

Wolves, which were listed as endangered species in 1973, were reintroduced into the northern Rocky Mountains in the 1990s, setting off a years-long battle between Wyoming, Idaho and Montana on one side and the federal government and environmental groups on the other about how to manage the population.

Read More About the Environmental Impact of the Wolf in the Northern Rockies

As the wolf was removed from the endangered species list in each state, the federal government has turned over control to the local authorities.

In Montana and Idaho, the gray wolf was removed from the federal endangered list in May 2011, and it lost its protected status in Wyoming on Oct. 1.

By the end of 2011, the wolf population in the region had risen to an estimated 1,774, and the states now say they need to trim the packs because of attacks on livestock and the decline in elk populations.

Mike Jimenez, the wolf management and science coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, told ABCNews.com that wolf recovery has been "very successful.

"Public hunting is by no means a threat to wolves," he said. "It's not a threat to the population or to successful recovery, but that doesn't by any means diminish the passion and feelings people have about individual wolves."

"Wolves evolve strong, passionate feeling for people and this creates management problems," he said. "The issue is between states and national parks. States are doing a very good job managing wolves. They're caught in a very tough balancing act."

Though wolf trapping season does not kick off in Montana until Dec. 15, hunting season is already open in bordering Wyoming and Idaho.

"[The wolves] don't recognize these arbitrary political boundaries that we humans implement so there are certain packs that mainly stay in the park, while others come out of the park," Bonnie Rice, a senior representative for the Sierra Club's Greater Yellowstone Campaign, told ABCNews.com. "The minute they step over that park boundary, they're fair game."

Of the 88 wolves in the park, eight have been killed in the past few weeks, according to Rice.

She said that the Sierra Club is not anti-hunting, but they are not satisfied with Wyoming's current regulations.

Since gray wolves were removed from the Endangered Species List and classified as predators in Wyoming, hunters there have been allowed to shoot the animals on sight at any time, for any reason, in about 85 percent of the state.

In parts of the state where hunters do not have the right to kill wolves on sight, wolves are designated "trophy game" and subject to hunting during seasons regulated by the state.

"Our primary goal, and that of the states, is to ensure that gray wolf populations in the Northern Rocky Mountains remain healthy, giving future generations of Americans the chance to hear its howl echo across the area," said U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe in a prepared statement, at the time of the decision.

Officials are meeting on Montana today to discuss what has happened so far in the season and to assess whether regulation changes are necessary.

"We don't want to close any area off if we don't have to. But if we keep losing collared wolves ... management becomes difficult," Montana wildlife commissioner Shane Colton told The Associated Press. "We want to do this first trapping seaons right."

"We're not looking for a buffer. We're looking for quotas," Bean said. "We want to find balance."

Despite the loss of a beloved alpha wolf, advocates are optimistic about the future of the pack.

"She leave a good line of pups that she taught well," Bean said. "Her legacy will go on. We will have great wolves. We've had great wolves before her and we'll have great wolves that will follow her."

ABC News' Russell Goldman contributed to this report.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/yellowstones-f ... d=17925005
Any thoughts?
Mods, do what you want with this thread. I just thought it would be interesting to share.
Arrow
Hunting with the pack for 2 years
Rumors
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71954
Definition
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72174

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Yellowstone's 'Famous' Alpha Female Shot and Killed

Post by Koa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:17 pm

If the animal was legally killed, which it was, I fail to see the big deal... it might have been a "well-known" wolf but (a there are wolves shot down all the time and (b according to the article she left the pack with a good future. It's not like these are Mexican gray wolves we're talking about here that can't really take the losses like gray wolves can.

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Yeah. Some people just don't get that, and for sure many people will be furious at this, when really harvesting a few wolves greatly benefits the entire population.
The article also states that she was an "alpha" of the pack. While some people will be worrying about that, won't her mate find another wolf to breed with?
Arrow
Rumors
Definition

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:10 pm

ArrowWolf005 wrote:Yeah. Some people just don't get that, and for sure many people will be furious at this, when really harvesting a few wolves greatly benefits the entire population.
The article also states that she was an "alpha" of the pack. While some people will be worrying about that, won't her mate find another wolf to breed with?
The mate will probably find another wold to mate with -- yes, and the pack will move on.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Agreed. The sole reason the killing of this wolf is making headlines and creating "controversy" is because it was a collared and publicly recognized wolf. But as stated, this wolf was legally shot - just because an animal is collared doesn't mean it cannot be hunted. Collared wolves are just wolves whose movements and habits are being tracked for research, a collar doesn't exempt them from being hunted or make the hunting of them "illegal" or "wrong."

I don't see any issue here whatsoever. Her pack will move on as will her mate (who is likely to reproduce with another wolf) and things go like they do in the animal world. That's just nature.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:06 pm

I also don't see what the big deal is in this. Yeah, she was shot but she was shot legally. As already said, the pack will move on.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

lupin_blackwolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by lupin_blackwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:41 am

Koa wrote:
ArrowWolf005 wrote:Yeah. Some people just don't get that, and for sure many people will be furious at this, when really harvesting a few wolves greatly benefits the entire population.
The mate will probably find another wold to mate with -- yes, and the pack will move on.

I read in one of the articles that her mate had died three weeks prior to her own death. It's a shame really....
-----------------..----------------..-----------------
I am Lυριη.
I roam the open land freely.
Nothing holds me back.
I am wild.
I am free.
I am a wolf.
-----------''-----------------''-----------
Avvie by April
Sig by Myself

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Koroda » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:31 pm

It's really a shame that people even want to kill wolves. Even if the hunter "accidentally" killed her, he should be more careful. But, I'm not sure if it was accidentally or on purpose. At least, her pups will be just as great as her, I'm almost positive.
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

SpiritOfTruth
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SpiritOfTruth » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:37 pm

I heard about this from DOF (Defenders of Wildlife) emails I receive, and this is what they said.

Defenders of Wildlife wrote:Will she have to die in Vain?

She was shot and killed on December 6th, during a rare venture outside the park. The tracking collar she wore showed that she and her pack stayed inside the park 95% of the time.

Wolf-watchers and field scientists alike have expressed shock and heartbreak over the loss of this iconic wolf matriarch.

We won't let her death be in vain.

Defenders has been at the forefront fighting to protect wolves in the Northern Rockies and your critical support provides us with resources that are essential when responding to emergencies surrounding imperiled species.

We will work tirelessly to protect Yellowstone’s wolves from hunters by working to get surrounding states to create no-kill buffer zones around the park.
We’re also in court, fighting the delisting of Wyoming’s wolf population – which gave rise to this tragedy in the first place.
And as always, we are in Washington, DC speaking out for wildlife -- and on behalf of you -- fighting to protect imperiled species and the wildlife we all love.
To me, It sounds like they are over reacting.
ѕινєя ωιєяηєѕѕ ρα
~Okami~ α σуα ~Accalia~
нσρє ιѕ α ωαкιηg яєαм
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70592

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Koroda wrote:It's really a shame that people even want to kill wolves. Even if the hunter "accidentally" killed her, he should be more careful. But, I'm not sure if it was accidentally or on purpose. At least, her pups will be just as great as her, I'm almost positive.

...it's not really a shame. There are many animals who also die every day, both on "purpose" and on "accident," and they don't get nearly half the attention that wolves do when they die.

SpiritOfTruth
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SpiritOfTruth » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:34 pm

Koa wrote:
Koroda wrote:It's really a shame that people even want to kill wolves. Even if the hunter "accidentally" killed her, he should be more careful. But, I'm not sure if it was accidentally or on purpose. At least, her pups will be just as great as her, I'm almost positive.

...it's not really a shame. There are many animals who also die every day, both on "purpose" and on "accident," and they don't get nearly half the attention that wolves do when they die.
I think the wolf shooting are more "known" because overreaction. In another post I made, DOF had been taking things to a lawsuit. It's more well known because people take these things to court, etc etc. (This is at least my opinion)
ѕινєя ωιєяηєѕѕ ρα
~Okami~ α σуα ~Accalia~
нσρє ιѕ α ωαкιηg яєαм

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:36 pm

No, I don't think its just because of court. There was a lawsuit filed regarding Mexican wolves awhile ago, but still that seems to fly over Defenders heads' and its back up to the northern states again. What they SHOULD be doing is bombarding everyone with updates on Mexican wolves who actually need the attention. It's just an attention cycle for gray wolves that never really ends, court or not.

SpiritOfTruth
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SpiritOfTruth » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Yes. Also, I feel sorry for the guy that (Was it accidental or purposely?) shot this female, He is probably getting some hate from people. Defenders have also given me emails about hunters and how "bad" they are. It's annoying. (Not calling people bad guys here, This is something DOF has said.)

They turn it into 'We good, Hunter bad'
ѕινєя ωιєяηєѕѕ ρα
~Okami~ α σуα ~Accalia~
нσρє ιѕ α ωαкιηg яєαм

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 am

Hunting is really not bad; it seems as if they are making sound like poaching, which is a whole other story. Hunting is legal and in most cases, nescessary. Wolves are all over the place there, and they eat a lot of elk, which people kind of depend on, and they eat livestock, which people also depend on. There is a lot of wolves, and this is a large, agressive breed not even native to Yellowstone. She was shot legally, and I don't see the fuss people are making about this. The difference between hunting and poaching is that with poaching, people kill the animals illegally, and sometimes don't even have liscenses. This is illegally killing animals. Hunting is legal.
Arrow
Rumors
Definition

SpiritOfTruth
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SpiritOfTruth » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:15 pm

ArrowWolf005 wrote:Hunting is really not bad; it seems as if they are making sound like poaching, which is a whole other story. Hunting is legal and in most cases, nescessary. Wolves are all over the place there, and they eat a lot of elk, which people kind of depend on, and they eat livestock, which people also depend on. There is a lot of wolves, and this is a large, agressive breed not even native to Yellowstone. She was shot legally, and I don't see the fuss people are making about this. The difference between hunting and poaching is that with poaching, people kill the animals illegally, and sometimes don't even have liscenses. This is illegally killing animals. Hunting is legal.
Exactly, I don't see the big deal.
ѕινєя ωιєяηєѕѕ ρα
~Okami~ α σуα ~Accalia~
нσρє ιѕ α ωαкιηg яєαм