wolf hunting and trapping will remain

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Calico Fox
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

wolf hunting and trapping will remain

Post by Calico Fox » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Local Montana Judge: wolf hunting and trapping will remain open next to Yellowstone Park
No relief from Montana’s imposition on Park wildlife-
Year after year the state of Montana has pummelled Yellowstone Park’s wildlife right at its northern boundary. They have slaughtered thousands of bison that stepped outside the Park and now decimated Yellowstone’s already naturally declining wolf population.

Today a Montana state district judge strengthened the earlier ruling (injunction) by a now retired judge that struck down Montana Fish Wildlife and Park Commission’s (FWP) emergency wolf hunting closure around Gardiner, Montana. The town sits right on the north boundary of America’s (and the world’s) first national park. The wolf hunting closure area is in a natural wildlife migration corridor because the topography a couple miles to the east or west is too rugged and steep. New District Judge Brenda Gilbert issued her ruling and injunction today (Friday) after a Jan. 14 hearing in Livingston, MT.

The emergency closure came after 7 Park wolves were killed as they were wandering just outside the Park, disrupting and basically ending the Park’s wolf winter research program because five of the wolves had radio collars. Three of them were advanced GPS collars that record all the movements of the wolves.

Judge Gilbert’s basic argument was that FWP did not give enough notice to wolf hunting and trapping hunting proponents to comment on the emergency closure. She said if the emergency closures had stood, Montanans would have been improperly denied the ability to hunt and trap wolves and it would have increased the risks of livestock attacks by the animals.

Her later argument is hard to fathom because there are few to no wintering livestock in the emergency closure area. Not killing wolves in mid-Winter cannot increase the risk of attacks on livestock because the wolf population never increases in mid-winter. Wolves have pups in April or early May.

Speaking for FWP, Ron Aasheim said the commissioners will take up the Yellowstone-area closure proposal again on Jan. 29. This time there will ample public notice and hearing. Meanwhile the Montana Legislature is trying to permanently legislate that there be no buffer zones around Yellowstone Park.

Montana FWP set a no quota wolf hunt because they thought there were too many wolves and that the state population had grown in 2011 despite a wolf hunt. Actually the wolf hunt was still going when the “official” 2011 wolf count was released.

The scientific journal, Nature and Science published biologist Jay S. Mallonee’s paper published on the Montana wolf population. He presented data arguing that the wolf population’s size was overestimated. Here is a link to the paper. “Hunting Wolves In Montana – Where Are The Data?” Nature and Science 2011; 9(9). pp. 175-82.

By Ralph Maughan
Original Copy.
I own nothing of this.
Myrkviðr Fellowship
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71458

My deviantART
http://h0rified.deviantart.com/

Katemarie123
Pup
Pup

Re: wolf hunting and trapping will remain

Post by Katemarie123 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:23 pm

That's sad.I love wolves way to much and now instead of save rock and roll its SAVE THE WOLVES AND BISON :!:
ɪ αℳ ∀ ϖ∅ʟƒ

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:39 pm

Katemarie123 wrote:That's sad.I love wolves way to much and now instead of save rock and roll its SAVE THE WOLVES AND BISON :!:
Wolves in the northern United States as a whole are relatively stable in regards to their population. They may lose animals, but they will recover when they do.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:29 am

There seems to be a common problem with all parks in general-animals are protected in one area and then get killed when they wander outside of the boundaries. To how this effects the population in the park-I'm not sure. But wolves seem to be doing well in the area so I don't think their endangered.

I think this brings into question the use of protected corridors for wildlife to travel from and to national parks/protected places...never mind wolves, this seems to occur with most large mammal species in parks. I can post some more info if anyone's interested in reading more.

Now the elimination of bison from the park population-that I don't agree with, but that's off topic a bit.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:34 pm

They can't kill off all the wolves. That will cause the ecosystem to become unbalanced. The elk the wolves feed on eat the sapling trees, and if the wolves don't keep the elk in check, the trees won't grow. Some of the fish in rivers relay on shade to keep themselves alive, espically in heat.

You wipe out the wolves entirely, you will eventually throw the ecosystem off balance.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

av/sig : lupe

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:50 pm

True and, wolves can reproduce quickly, so this isn't really a big deal, unless it really gets out of hand.
_-:¡!*"*!¡:-_
_-:¡!*"Warden"*!¡:-_
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice

av/sig: alethe

Mist Chaser
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: The Akatsuki Lair, Equestria, and on the forums socializing. =3

Post by Mist Chaser » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:54 pm

As long as they don't overhunt the animals as people have in the past, it will be okay. They just need to make the hunting more controlled this time.
excerpt from Mist Chaster ©Duskypack

why not chase the mist?

She chased and chased.

Until she ran so hard there was a pain in her waist.

She grinned and said. "I'm Mist Chaser that's who i am!"

Chasing the mist as innocent as a lamb

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:51 pm

river6 wrote:They can't kill off all the wolves. That will cause the ecosystem to become unbalanced. The elk the wolves feed on eat the sapling trees, and if the wolves don't keep the elk in check, the trees won't grow. Some of the fish in rivers relay on shade to keep themselves alive, espically in heat.

You wipe out the wolves entirely, you will eventually throw the ecosystem off balance.
That's what most people think, but it's actually just the opposite with wolves here in the northern United States, especially since they've been gone for awhile and were introduced again. A good example --
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... n#p2136186
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

AgainstWolfaboos
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by AgainstWolfaboos » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:46 pm

Well, I suppose it's for the best. Judging by the fact Canis lupus is becoming overpopulated and choking out other animals thanks to ESA, and how we can reintroduce other predators to keep the deer population stable if the gray wolf does become extinct.

It's kinda ESA's fault for the overpopulation problem, since they introduced them into Yellowstone in the hundreds. Canis lupus irremotus, the native subspecies, disappeared at the time and it was ESA's mission to put in wolves back into Yellowstone.

Trophy hunting for wolves also has its benefits too.

In North America, hunters and anglers generate more revenue for wildlife conservation programs than all animal/green groups combined, through the purchase of licenses and game tags. It is the most successful conservation model in the world. (SOURCE)
Hunting seasons bring in tourism dollars, which stimulates local and state economies. Folks from out of state rent hotel rooms, eat at restaurants, shop at small businesses, have their kills butchered and taxidermized locally--some peoples' livelihoods depend on hunters. (SOURCE)
Hunting culture promotes appreciation and understanding of nature and the beings that inhabit it, and a means of sustainable living. Nature and its creatures are valuable to us, and we must ensure that they will be there tomorrow for our children to appreciate as well. (SOURCE)
During hunting seasons, meat is often donated to food banks to ensure that the hungry have something healthy and inexpensive to eat. (SOURCE)

Example:

After a hunting ban, Kenyans saw a decrease in wildlife populations (60-70%), and a radical increase in poaching, as well. In nearby countries where regulated hunting was still legal, the locals learned that rich people would pay huge sums of money to come hunt their game. This created an incentive for the locals to protect their animals from poachers, because the hunters would give them the meat from the harvested animals, and their money stimulated the economy. In those areas, the wildlife populations are thriving, healthy, and poaching is a rarity.

Also note wolves hunt for sport too. Its called surplus killing.

TheImmortalWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TheImmortalWolf » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:54 pm

people are animal killers its not the wolfs on the farmers land its the farmers on the wolfs land
no matter how many petitions i sign they still hunt wolfs they shouldnt be killed :x how would humans feel if wolfs were hunting the, :!: :?:
Mess with me?
I'll let karma do its job.
Mess with my family?
I become karma.

alethe

Post by alethe » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:56 pm

TheImmortalWolf wrote:people are animal killers its not the wolfs on the farmers land its the farmers on the wolfs land
no matter how many petitions i sign they still hunt wolfs they shouldnt be killed :x how would humans feel if wolfs were hunting the, :!: :?:
Its not the wolf's land. Do you think humans care? No. Besides, its nobody's land, if you think about it. Its just land. People and wolves only use it.

TheImmortalWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TheImmortalWolf » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:00 pm

well yeah but the farmers should still try to avoid the wolfs
Mess with me?
Mess with my family?
I become karma.

alethe

Post by alethe » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Farmers don't care. Would you rather starve to death because of a food shortage just to save a species that doesn't need saving right now? No. There are plenty of places where wolves live, undisturbed because the farming is poor there.

TheImmortalWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TheImmortalWolf » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:05 pm

no the farmers shoulomewhere else and wolfs DO need saving that's why there almost endangered they used to be all over America you know
Mess with me?
Mess with my family?
I become karma.

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:07 pm

You forgot the fact they have nowhere else to move.
And, wolves don't need saving, though Mexican gray wolves do.
And, Some wolves are endangered, but not the gray wolves you're talking about.
_-:¡!*"*!¡:-_
_-:¡!*"Warden"*!¡:-_
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice

av/sig: alethe

Return to “Wolf Conservation”