Petition to save wolves

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Silverfang88
Pup
Pup

Petition to save wolves

Post by Silverfang88 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:33 pm

In Montana state america they are going to allow hunting wolves in that area! There's a petition online to sign to stop this cruel act. We want as many people as we can to sign this petition so we get enough signatures to stop this act. It can be devastating for a pack to lose an alpha. Or a mother. Say you are a tiny, helpless pup that depends entirely on your mum then she is shot and you starve to death. That could happen if this hunt happens. Losing a pack member is like losing a family member so please sign the petition to stop this act of cruelty.

To find this petition, go to www.change.org.

if this topic has to be moved or locked, please do so. There maybe other petition post but i did not look so if there's another one please lock this one and i'm sorry if there's another.
Last edited by Silverfang88 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
No longer active Might check in every few months

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Re: Petition to save wolves

Post by valkea » Tue May 21, 2013 7:40 pm

1. Wild wolves do not have ranks such as "Alpha", so it's actually impossible for a pack to "lose an alpha".
2. You may see it as cruelty, but wolf hunting is actually a good thing. Wolves reproduce and adapt quickly, and they actually don't have that many natural predators to keep them in check. If no one hunted wolves, the population could very easily get out of control. Wolves all over the place may sound great, but in reality it would actually be extremely detrimental.
3. Wolf hunting isn't going to drive wolves to extinction, either, if that was going to end up being one of your points against it. Especially if they're going to allow wolf hunting in Montana. That means the population is stable enough to handle some losses.

If you want to help wolves, you may want to check this topic for information. It's old but still applies -
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5902
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Silverfang88
Pup
Pup

Post by Silverfang88 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:51 pm

You may be right there, but i'm sure wild wolves have ranks. And thanks for the website.

I really don't mean to argue, but i learned from a wolf book once, and you may be right but if there's a high wolf population they will eat most of the elks and then the wolf population will drop because there's not enough elk for the wolves and then the elk population will increase then the wolf population will increase again and this keeps going on and it is nature's balance, which keeps them in check. But again, you may be right. :)

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue May 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Wolf hierarchy has actually been studied. Wild wolf packs are made up of two dominant wolves and their offspring - alpha, beta, omega, and any other "ranks" you can think of are outdated terms and do not apply to a wild pack of wolves.

Don't assume that everything you read in a book (especially in just one book) is true. There are quite a few things in books that are actually wrong, and then you have older books to consider, which probably have outdated information. Wolves don't exclusively eat elk, either. If the elk population runs low, they'll find another food source, and then the issue with wolf population is not fixed at all.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Silverfang88
Pup
Pup

Post by Silverfang88 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:20 pm

You have a point there. The book i read probably was outdated. Or the person who wrote it had the wrong facts, as many books say different things about the same topic. And you are right that wolves don't just eat elk. They eat carribou (reindeer) rabbits, mice chipmunks even ptarmigans. I've heard of wolves eating berries in times of great famine. There's more animals they eat but i don't feel like typing them :wink: But i'm pretty sure it's mane diet is elk and elk related animals.
You sound like a very wise person.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Wed May 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Interesting topic.. :) But Since it seems this post doesn't serve much meaning in regards to validation, (other than a couple small discussions), it may be best if you add a link or quoted information on the front post that can point users to the appropriate petition website.. ^^ Even giving us the direct link to this petition's location? Otherwise, the topic has the potential of being locked. ;) Thanks!
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Wed May 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Wolves don't need saving from anything. The lower 48 states have at least 5,500 wolves. That's nearly twice as much as the number of tigers WORLDWIDE (3,000).
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Silverfang88
Pup
Pup

Post by Silverfang88 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:37 pm

BlackWarrior wrote:Interesting topic.. :) But Since it seems this post doesn't serve much meaning in regards to validation, (other than a couple small discussions), it may be best if you add a link or quoted information on the front post that can point users to the appropriate petition website.. ^^ Even giving us the direct link to this petition's location? Otherwise, the topic has the potential of being locked. ;) Thanks!
Okay i'll do that. :)

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu May 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Silverfang88 wrote:
BlackWarrior wrote:Interesting topic.. :) But Since it seems this post doesn't serve much meaning in regards to validation, (other than a couple small discussions), it may be best if you add a link or quoted information on the front post that can point users to the appropriate petition website.. ^^ Even giving us the direct link to this petition's location? Otherwise, the topic has the potential of being locked. ;) Thanks!
Okay i'll do that. :)
Awesome. Thanks for your understanding! ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Return to “Wolf Conservation”