Red Wolves Back From Extinction

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Are you happy Red Wolves are coming back?

Of Course! They've been gone for a while
89%
No, they don't effect me, why should I care?
No votes
I have mixed emotions on this...
11%

Total votes: 9

little pup 2
Pup
Pup

Red Wolves Back From Extinction

Post by little pup 2 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:23 am

"This is a unique, highly endangered predator, and it's something that needs our help," Fazio said. "It's part of the heritage of the southeast."
I've recently looked onto red wolves. They are losing habitats quickly. Reading an ad by national geographic, really gave me some satisfaction.
"We've come a long way in 15 years," said Shauna Baron, outreach biologist for the recovery program. "The wild recovery effort started with only a captive-born stock to work with, and we now have over 100 wild-born wolves roaming throughout 1.5 million acres."
This is amazing! With this in progress, red wolves will be back in no time! Even if no time actually means 10 more years. :?
The FWS recovery team has started bumping up the wolf numbers by introducing island-bred wolves to the wild population. Two island breeding programs—one on Bulls Island off the coast of South Carolina, the other on Florida's St. Vincent Island—provide a place for parents to raise pups in a natural setting, softening the transition between captive breeding and reintroduction. "They train in the wild," said Baron. "It's like wolf boot camp."
I hope your as reassured as I am now. Just thought I would spread some smiles :mrgreen:
The Shallow Creek Pack Story
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=74777

95% of teens would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers at the top of a skyscraper about to jump. Copy and paste this if you are part of the 5% that would sit there with popcorn and a camera and yell "DO A FLIP!!!

melodichowl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Red Wolves Back From Extinction

Post by melodichowl » Thu May 15, 2014 1:41 am

I love Red Wolves! I always used to be so fascinated with the when I was younger and I still am! :D

TheImmortalWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TheImmortalWolf » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:15 pm

great to hear this!!1 :D :D :mrgreen:
Mess with me?
I'll let karma do its job.
Mess with my family?
I become karma.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:40 pm

This is great! I went to a red wolf sanctuary a while back, very fun place with very beautiful creatures! Glad to know that they are making a comeback!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:09 am

They should be renamed red coyotes, in light of their genetics.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Artisticmenace
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Artisticmenace » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:58 pm

I'm not that educated about Red Wolves, but any animal that's good for the environment making a comeback is a good thing! Thanks for sharing!
now my feet won't touch the ground

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:07 am

La Striata wrote:They should be renamed red coyotes, in light of their genetics.
  • I wonder if selective breeding amongst these hybrids would be worthwhile? The latter is an option for de-exinction anyway:
    Wikipedia wrote:The aurochs, which became extinct in 1627, could possibly be brought back by taking DNA samples from bone and teeth fragments in museums in order to obtain genetic material to recreate its DNA. Researchers would then compare the DNA to that of modern European cattle to determine which breeds still carry the creature's genes, and then undertake a selective breeding program to reverse the evolutionary process. The intention would be that with every passing generation, the cattle would more closely resemble the ancient aurochs.[18]
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De-extinction

I think canis lupus rufus still has a long way to go if the species/entire population wishes to remain viable on its own. A couple hundred individuals is still vulnerable to outcrossing with coyotes.

pickledham
Pup
Pup

Post by pickledham » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:23 am

I think it's great that they're coming back, but I hope they can keep it up. That's still a very small population, regardless of the amount they had before.
Also I think that's pretty interesting, Tonbei. That could actually work if nothing goes astray in the process. I don't think they'd ever be the same as before because of the crossbreeding with coyotes, but with enough effort perhaps they could come close.
----------------------
trouble is a friend of mine

trolling existence since 1st millennium BC