Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United States

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12954
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United States

Post by Koa » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:39 pm

Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United States
Classifications are currently at the species (Canis lupus) level, rather than on a subspecies level. Gray wolves are classified as endangered, threatened, or delisted within the continental United States and Mexico.


Endangered (E) :
"A species 'in danger of extinction throughout all or a significant portion of its range.'"

ENDANGERED in the states of Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Vermont and West Virginia; and portions of Arizona, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, North Dakota, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, and Washington. Mexico.
  • * Federal protections were recently restored to gray wolves in the Great Lakes region (Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin) on December 19th, 2014. Previously, the populations in that region had been delisted in accordance with a ruling in 2012.

Threatened (T):
" A species 'likely to become endangered within the foreseeable future throughout all or a significant portion of its range.'"
THREATENED in the states of Minnesota.
  • * The 12/19/14 ruling returned the gray wolf to this status in Minnesota after the population was delisted in 2012.

Delisted:
"Species that has been removed from the list due to recovery, original data in error, or extinction."
DELISTED in the states of Idaho, Montana, and in portions of eastern Oregon, eastern Washington, and north central Utah (2011). Wyoming's wolves were delisted in 2012, and then classified under EXPN, XN (experimental non-essential population) in 2014.


Population Statistics:

Great Lakes region:
Minnesota: 2,278 2016 >> 2,856 2017
Wisconsin: 925 2016 >> 905 2017
Michigan: 618 2016

Northern Rocky Mountain region:
Idaho: 786
Montana: 447 2016 >> 663 2017
Wyoming: 377 2016 >> 347 2017
Oregon: 112 2016 >> 124 2017
Washington: 90 2015 >> 122 2017
Utah: 10>

Western U.S.:
California: 9> 2016 >> 8 2017

last updated 6/05/2018

Resources:
Species Profile for Gray wolf (Canis lupus)
Western Gray Wolf: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Species Status Codes
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
Kittea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:52 pm
Name: Yas
Location: Kilroy was here.
Contact:

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by Kittea » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:43 pm

This is really good to know! Thanks Koa!
|
Smapleville's Finest

Look man, I find it hard to believe
that you just picked up some random pants
and put them on
Be straight with me, are these pants yours?


- - -
Av / Sig - Lupe

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12954
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by Koa » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:48 pm

CaffeineCollie wrote:This is really good to know! Thanks Koa!
There was an older topic awhile back that did mention conservation status but did so on a subspecies-basis. I thought I'd compile all of the information from those three pages and summarize the status information/recent developments accordingly. Hopefully this will be helpful in the event of any more changes to their status.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
Kittea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:52 pm
Name: Yas
Location: Kilroy was here.
Contact:

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by Kittea » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Yeah, I imagine having it all in one place will be convenient!
Edit to fix coding XP
Last edited by Kittea on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|
Smapleville's Finest

Look man, I find it hard to believe
that you just picked up some random pants
and put them on
Be straight with me, are these pants yours?


- - -
Av / Sig - Lupe

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12954
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by Koa » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:55 pm

CaffeineCollie wrote:
Yeah, I imagine having it all in one place will be convenient!
I hope so. I will update this thread with population statistics to provide some context.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

D0m
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:14 am
Name: Dominik
Gender: Male
Location: Hell

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by D0m » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:53 am

I find this quite informative, thank you Koa for putting you time into keeping this updated!
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12954
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by Koa » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:17 am

LupaValdo2001-2014 wrote:I find this quite informative, thank you Koa for putting you time into keeping this updated!
Thanks; glad you find it helpful. I will be keeping a close eye on statuses, but updates for populations may vary.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

D0m
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:14 am
Name: Dominik
Gender: Male
Location: Hell

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by D0m » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:13 pm

Koa wrote:
LupaValdo2001-2014 wrote:I find this quite informative, thank you Koa for putting you time into keeping this updated!
Thanks; glad you find it helpful. I will be keeping a close eye on statuses, but updates for populations may vary.
I understand. I'm glad that someone could have the dedication to actually do this!
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

User avatar
MimpiDreams
Pup
Pup
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:27 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Europe

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by MimpiDreams » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:39 pm

LupaValdo2001-2014 wrote:
Koa wrote:
LupaValdo2001-2014 wrote:I find this quite informative, thank you Koa for putting you time into keeping this updated!
Thanks; glad you find it helpful. I will be keeping a close eye on statuses, but updates for populations may vary.
I understand. I'm glad that someone could have the dedication to actually do this!
Yep you're right.
~MIMPI~
~I RUN INTO A NEW QUEST~
~I CHASE ONE DREAM~
~BUT IT SLIP AWAY AGAIN AND AGAIN~
~AND THAT QUEST IS TOO LONG~

thanks ICEWOLF636 and FuzzyDesertPaw

User avatar
foxesandwolvessouls
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:06 pm
Gender: Female
Location: California

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by foxesandwolvessouls » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:36 pm

All I know from in California there as been a very small pack just near Oregon. I believe that here is about 5 wolves. Considering its a new pack. California might have wolves growing somewhere. c:
Dusk- Acting strong when your in the state of loneliness.

User avatar
Tundra17
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:04 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by Tundra17 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:18 am

I wish there was a way to create more national parks or at least bring back wolves in there original/threatened regions .
I'm nuts, baby I'm mad,
The craziest friend that you've ever had
You think I'm psycho, you think I'm gone
Tell the psychiatrist something is wrong
Over the bend, entirely bonkers
You like me best when I'm off my rocker
Tell you a secret, I'm not alarmed
So what if I'm crazy? The best people are

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12954
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by Koa » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:34 am

foxesandwolvessouls wrote:All I know from in California there as been a very small pack just near Oregon. I believe that here is about 5 wolves. Considering its a new pack. California might have wolves growing somewhere. c:
Yeah, I believe there is a pack; I will update this list soon.
Tundra17 wrote:I wish there was a way to create more national parks or at least bring back wolves in there original/threatened regions .
The numbers may seem low but wolves in the U.S. are actually doing quite well; there are some animal species in the world that don't have the luxury of population that the wolf has.
Restoring wolves to their "original" areas can be problematic. The land is certainly not what it used to be. Where wolves once roamed, human population density may be higher than it was, etc.

EDIT 6/30/2017: The first post has been updated.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:35 pm
Gender: Male
Location: North America

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by Noctis_ » Mon May 14, 2018 12:58 am

I was considering creating a new topic giving information on the wolf's status in Washington state specifically, in case anyone was curious after the extermination of the Profanity Peak pack a few years ago, but decided to post the information as a reply here, since having a separate topic for the wolf status in every state would clutter this forum. The following are current and former Washington state wolf packs, as of December 2017:

Confirmed Wolf Packs, Eastern Washington: Beaver Creek, Carpenter Ridge, Dirty Shirt, Five Sisters, Frosty (CCT), Goodman Meadows, Grouse Flats, Huckleberry, Leadpoint, Nc'icn, Salmo, Smackout, Stranger, Strawberry, Togo, Touchet, Tucannon, Wedge, Whitestone
Confirmed Wolf Packs, Northern Cascades: Lookout, Loup Loup, Teanaway
Former Wolf Packs: Diamond, Profanity Peak, Sherman, Skookum, Wenatchee

A map of the current pack's locations, and further information on each pack, can be found here: https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/packs/

The following is information concerning Washington’s Gray Wolf Conservation and Management Plan:

Washington’s Gray Wolf Conservation and Management Plan guides recovery of wolves as they naturally re-establish a sustainable population across the state, and authorizes management tools to address conflicts with livestock and other wildlife.

Key elements of the plan include:

Recovery goals: The plan establishes a delisting objective of 15 breeding pairs of wolves that are present in the state for at least three years, with at least four in Eastern Washington, four in the northern Cascades, four in the southern Cascades/Northwest coastal area, and three others anywhere in the state. The plan also provides for WDFW to consider initiating the delisting process if 18 breeding pairs are documented during a single year, and the distribution objectives are met.
Livestock protection: The plan provides a variety of nonlethal and lethal management measures - from technical assistance for landowners to lethal removal - to control wolves that prey on livestock. The plan also establishes conditions for compensating ranchers who lose livestock to wolf predation.
Wildlife protection: The plan allows WDFW to use lethal and non-lethal measures to manage wolf predation on at-risk ungulate populations if wolf numbers reach or exceed the recovery objective within a region where predation occurs.
The plan was developed with the assistance of a 17-member advisory citizen Wolf Working Group over nearly five years (2007 – 2011), with extensive public review (23 public meetings, nearly 65,000 comments submitted), and a blind scientific peer review. The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission unanimously adopted the plan in December 2011.
All aspects of the plan are in effect east of Highways 97, 17 and 395, where wolves were removed from federal protection in May 2011. In the rest of Washington, portions of the plan that are consistent with federal law are in effect. Federal law supercedes the state plan until wolves are delisted under the federal Endangered Species Act.
The plan covers management of wolves while they are a state listed species. A new management plan will be developed after the species is delisted.
No wolves have ever been reintroduced into Washington, and under the plan, WDFW will not import wolves from other states or Canada.

Information about the wolf's history and current situation in the state can be found here, https://www.fws.gov/wafwo/Documents/Gra ... ne2017.pdf, and here: https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_w ... ngton.html
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12954
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by Koa » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:15 am

Noctis_ wrote:I was considering creating a new topic giving information on the wolf's status in Washington state specifically, in case anyone was curious after the extermination of the Profanity Peak pack a few years ago, but decided to post the information as a reply here, since having a separate topic for the wolf status in every state would clutter this forum. The following are current and former Washington state wolf packs, as of December 2017:

Confirmed Wolf Packs, Eastern Washington: Beaver Creek, Carpenter Ridge, Dirty Shirt, Five Sisters, Frosty (CCT), Goodman Meadows, Grouse Flats, Huckleberry, Leadpoint, Nc'icn, Salmo, Smackout, Stranger, Strawberry, Togo, Touchet, Tucannon, Wedge, Whitestone
Confirmed Wolf Packs, Northern Cascades: Lookout, Loup Loup, Teanaway
Former Wolf Packs: Diamond, Profanity Peak, Sherman, Skookum, Wenatchee

A map of the current pack's locations, and further information on each pack, can be found here: https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/packs/

The following is information concerning Washington’s Gray Wolf Conservation and Management Plan:

Washington’s Gray Wolf Conservation and Management Plan guides recovery of wolves as they naturally re-establish a sustainable population across the state, and authorizes management tools to address conflicts with livestock and other wildlife.

Key elements of the plan include:

Recovery goals: The plan establishes a delisting objective of 15 breeding pairs of wolves that are present in the state for at least three years, with at least four in Eastern Washington, four in the northern Cascades, four in the southern Cascades/Northwest coastal area, and three others anywhere in the state. The plan also provides for WDFW to consider initiating the delisting process if 18 breeding pairs are documented during a single year, and the distribution objectives are met.
Livestock protection: The plan provides a variety of nonlethal and lethal management measures - from technical assistance for landowners to lethal removal - to control wolves that prey on livestock. The plan also establishes conditions for compensating ranchers who lose livestock to wolf predation.
Wildlife protection: The plan allows WDFW to use lethal and non-lethal measures to manage wolf predation on at-risk ungulate populations if wolf numbers reach or exceed the recovery objective within a region where predation occurs.
The plan was developed with the assistance of a 17-member advisory citizen Wolf Working Group over nearly five years (2007 – 2011), with extensive public review (23 public meetings, nearly 65,000 comments submitted), and a blind scientific peer review. The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission unanimously adopted the plan in December 2011.
All aspects of the plan are in effect east of Highways 97, 17 and 395, where wolves were removed from federal protection in May 2011. In the rest of Washington, portions of the plan that are consistent with federal law are in effect. Federal law supercedes the state plan until wolves are delisted under the federal Endangered Species Act.
The plan covers management of wolves while they are a state listed species. A new management plan will be developed after the species is delisted.
No wolves have ever been reintroduced into Washington, and under the plan, WDFW will not import wolves from other states or Canada.

Information about the wolf's history and current situation in the state can be found here, https://www.fws.gov/wafwo/Documents/Gra ... ne2017.pdf, and here: https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_w ... ngton.html
Thanks; I plan to include links to each state's plan when I get a chance. Going to update numbers now.

EDIT: Washington's most recent wolf numbers are below.
https://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01979/
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
2wolf22
Pup
Pup
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:19 am
Gender: Female
Location: A place with Lake Effect Snow :(

Re: Conservation Status of the Gray Wolf in the United State

Post by 2wolf22 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:13 pm

At least they are doing well in some states! :D this is great info. Thanks for researching it all!

Post Reply

Return to “Wolf Conservation”