Moderators: Isela, Koa

War-thrush
Pup
Pup
Name: N00CLEAR

Red Wolf Pop. reduced to 50-75

Post by War-thrush » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:56 am

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news ... -2016.html

This is terrible. I don't really have any more words for it.

On top of a not great day... just sad, so sad that it has come to that.
Good Morning
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do you wish me a ⓖⓞⓞⓓ morning,
or mean it is a good morning whether I want it ⓞⓡ not;
□ ⓞⓡ that you f e e l good [̲̅t̲̅][̲̅h̲̅][̲̅i̲̅][̲̅s̲̅] m o r n i n g; ■
or that itisa morning to be [̲̅g̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̲̅d̲̅] on?
□ ʇ n o q ɐ || u ʌ ǝ ɐ ɹ || n o ʎ ||ʇ ɐ ɥ ʍ ■
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxᵈᵉᵛᶦᵃᶰᵗᵃʳᵗxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Av/Sig ©Infinite/Kamaal

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Red Wolf Pop. reduced to 50-75

Post by Koa » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:11 am

Agree with Ever.
By the way, this needs to be in Wolf Conservation.
-moved to Wolf Conservation-
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:15 am

Ever-green wrote:
  • Even when they had only 100 individuals, that still isn't enough to maintain an effective population size. They were doomed before they began; creating more from the same gene pool does not increase genetic diversity, and their current track would have eventually lead to inbreeding and the same population decline they are seeing anyway with the politics and breeding programs. They should hang up their hats and let the remaining population continue to inbreed with latrans. If this map holds true, then that is what would likely happen anyway, without human interference (latrans var. is a wolf-coyote hybrid).

This article summarizes how a research group determined a model for many taxonomic groups in terms of minimal population sizes:
Border Wars wrote:In their most recent research they used computer models to simulate what population numbers would be required to achieve long-term persistence for 1,198 different species. A minimum population of 500 could guard against inbreeding, they conclude. But for a shot at truly long-term, evolutionary success, 5,000 is the most parsimonious number, with some species likely to hit the sweet spot with slightly less or slightly more.
Even if this is just sad, I'll have to agree with Ever... Sooner or later this would happen....
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:21 am

Ever-green wrote:
  • Don't be too sad; species turnover is something that happens with or without human intervention :) .
“Conservation scientists have shown that recovering the red wolf is completely achievable and know what steps need to be taken next,” said Hartl. “Rather than following the science, the red wolf program is in disarray because the Service won’t stand up to this political pressure.”
  • I'd like to know what science these Conservationists are using?! Not population genetics!
This is pathetic. Seriously, they're wasting their time. I don't see why they are blaming the program's failures on politics; nature has been the real culprit all along.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

War-thrush
Pup
Pup
Name: N00CLEAR

Post by War-thrush » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:00 pm

Yes good point.

I guess why it shocked be so much is here in NZ that has never happened that we abandoned a species because of a small population, the Black Robin the best example, down to one breeding pair,happy to say that they are now at 250 birds no inbreeding problems yet as far as I know. We are also trying to de-extinct species ( first one being New Zealand Quail, but that is a mis the point),and I think considering using cloning to enhance gene pools.

Of course I'd never say something like this for Red Wolves, totally not my field. I think that Red Wolves are rather closely related to Grey Wolves, which as far as have been seen did terribly on isle royale. Are they related to coyotes as well? What is the coyotes stance on inbreeding? Then again it has been said they are not even a species.

I was told (by an ornithologist, I expect correction on this) that most hamsters come from one female. Again they are small rodents and not of relation to red wolves.

(Just a note I'll probably regret this post as i'm in a bad mood, so I apologize)(also I thought it may belong in the conservation section, wasn't sure though)
Good Morning
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do you wish me a ⓖⓞⓞⓓ morning,
or mean it is a good morning whether I want it ⓞⓡ not;
□ ⓞⓡ that you f e e l good [̲̅t̲̅][̲̅h̲̅][̲̅i̲̅][̲̅s̲̅] m o r n i n g; ■
or that itisa morning to be [̲̅g̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̲̅d̲̅] on?
□ ʇ n o q ɐ || u ʌ ǝ ɐ ɹ || n o ʎ ||ʇ ɐ ɥ ʍ ■
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxᵈᵉᵛᶦᵃᶰᵗᵃʳᵗxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Av/Sig ©Infinite/Kamaal

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Hate to read these kind of news. Population reduction is happening to most of our species except for humans that keep growing and growing.
Former WolfQuest Moderator
May '09 User of the Month

Return to “Wolf Conservation”