Government: Wild red wolf population could soon be wiped out

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Government: Wild red wolf population could soon be wiped out

Post by alethe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:48 am

The only wild population of endangered red wolves is unsustainable and could be wiped out within a decade after dwindling to a few dozen, government officials said in a report Tuesday.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service review of the species’ status estimates that only about 40 wolves remain in the wild in eastern North Carolina, down from a peak of about 120 a decade ago.

“The population cannot recover from their losses and overcome mortality resulting in a steadily declining population,” the review states, predicting these wild wolves could vanish in as little as a decade.

Another 230 wolves live in zoos and wildlife facilities in what’s considered a more stable captive population.
PUBLISHED: April 24, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Source/full article: https://www.denverpost.com/2018/04/24/r ... xtinction/

I'm absolutely devastated by this. The fact that, in a few years, a species that I have
actually seen could be extinct.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Government: Wild red wolf population could soon be wiped

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:06 pm

I am not surprised by this, but it is still sad. The red wolf's numbers in the wild have been low for quite some time - there is only so much you can do to help a population when it has low genetic variability.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:22 pm

It's so sad knowing this, and mom read another article similar to this one not that long ago. Facts of devastation.

alethe

Post by alethe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:31 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:I am not surprised by this, but it is still sad. The red wolf's numbers in the wild have been low for quite some time - there is only so much you can do to help a population when it has low genetic variability.
unfortunately, yeah. its super saddening to hear, but it was inevitable.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:35 pm

They'll live on in the coyotes in North Carolina. There's still 40 animals but I sincerely hope all conservation efforts end. Whatever was once uniquely wolf in this animal is mostly gone, and with low numbers like that, they'll continue to inbreed with coyotes and dilute the 25% of wolf in them left.

alethe

Post by alethe » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:27 pm

there's now a facebook petition going around to save the animals. i love the effort but... nobody in the comments there seems to understand that there's not much hope anymore, seeing as its only a matter of time before their genetics break down. they're just bashing the usfw for "not caring," which is far from the truth. i don't want to say anything, because i don't want to be That Person. i hope that the usfw doesn't do anything else regarding the red wolf. its sad but its too late.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

IceaPlayzPC
Name: Icea or Emile

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Aww what a shame. I love Red Wolves and its sad to see them go. Its comforting to know that there will still be some left in zoos but for how long? At least i can remember Red Wolves with one of my characters but thats besides the point They're such beautiful animals.
|•——————)(——————•|
This is where the story ends,
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
My fate it rains, it rains like cinders
(`°•.(`°•.••••The cadent drums, the war it comes ••••.•°`).•°`)
Growing thunder, terror, wonder
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
Av-CatLover on Discord + Bottom Sig-Black Burn, Top Sig - Icea

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:32 pm

alethe wrote:there's now a facebook petition going around to save the animals. i love the effort but... nobody in the comments there seems to understand that there's not much hope anymore, seeing as its only a matter of time before their genetics break down. they're just bashing the usfw for "not caring," which is far from the truth. i don't want to say anything, because i don't want to be That Person. i hope that the usfw doesn't do anything else regarding the red wolf. its sad but its too late.
Agreed.
IceaPlayzPC wrote:Aww what a shame. I love Red Wolves and its sad to see them go. Its comforting to know that there will still be some left in zoos but for how long? At least i can remember Red Wolves with one of my characters but thats besides the point They're such beautiful animals.
In April, the Washington Post reported that there are about 200 red wolves in captivity in addition to the 40 wild red wolves previously mentioned.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:15 pm

alethe wrote:there's now a facebook petition going around to save the animals. i love the effort but... nobody in the comments there seems to understand that there's not much hope anymore, seeing as its only a matter of time before their genetics break down. they're just bashing the usfw for "not caring," which is far from the truth. i don't want to say anything, because i don't want to be That Person. i hope that the usfw doesn't do anything else regarding the red wolf. its sad but its too late.
Agreed. As much as I love red wolves, I would prefer conservation efforts go towards a species that is still viable.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 am

Since there are over 200 red wolves in captive breeding programs, I think it's best to focus efforts on those wolves rather than trying to prevent the remaining wild wolves from hybridizing with coyotes.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>