New bill seeks to delist gray wolves

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

New bill seeks to delist gray wolves

Post by LamarWolf » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Thought I should share this article. http://www.capitalpress.com/Livestock/2 ... ray-wolves
Life is full of death
It is the way of life
Predator and prey
I bring life and I take it
That is the way of nature

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Re: New bill seeks to delist gray wolves

Post by Kereudio » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Protip: Don't read the comments section if you want to have a good day lmao.

I completely agree that grey wolves need to be delisted federally already. They have more than recovered their numbers and control over their management needs to be handed back over to the states in which they reside. The interests of the farmers have been put below the animals for way, way too long I think, and not to mention, continuing to try and "protect" the animals only actually causes them more harm in the long run, imo. If farmers are being denied the right to protect their livestock, then the packs or individual animals harassing said livestock become more and more courageous (is that the word I wanna use....?), which is then leading to entire packs being culled when this wouldn't be needed if the individual animals were taken care of sooner.

Also their numbers are far too great to still be listed. No other species is getting this same treatment, so why are wolves? (Something something anthropomorphism that I don't feel like going into but...)
I was writing in order to live.
osamu dazai

av: lupinzpack

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:58 pm

I remember visiting the Idea of delisting back in 6th Grade, where we studied wolves closely and sought to determine whether or not they still needed to be protected. At the time, I didn't understand the debate entirely, so naturally I was all pro wolf, haha. It does seem like wolf populations have grown stable enough to sustain themselves within many of the northern regions within the past few years, so I wouldn't be against their delisting. There's no need to protect an animal that has long since recovered. This was an interesting read, and the comments are something indeed, haha.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:25 pm

The article doesn't do a good job of explaining some key details of the bill, so I will link to the bill's text below.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... /6784/text

According to the text, the Mexican gray wolf subspecies will not be in this motion to delist the gray wolf.

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:36 pm

Given that the gray wolf species' population is different in every state, I agree it doesn't make much sense to keep them on the federal List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife, when they have in fact recovered in many states. In areas with a healthy, stable gray wolf population, their listing does more harm than good because it places unnecessary restrictions on ranchers, disabling them from protecting their livestock from an "endangered" animal that is not actually endangered. I can only imagine this creates frustration, anger, and worsens public opinion of wolves in those areas.
On the flip side, I'd worry that, once the gray wolf is de-listed and decisions regarding the species' management is left to the states, there would be bias either for or against wolves depending on that state's political affiliation that would cause unfair or disproportionate management one way or the other. In general, a more conservative state's population would be in favor of looser protection, while a more liberal state's population would be in favor of stricter protection. I'd be concerned that public opinion would have more sway over the species' conservation and management than the actual needs of the species and of the state; However, this risk is probably one that needs to be taken.
The best that can be done is to continue educating the public about wolves, and neutralizing strong opinions on either side of the spectrum.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:12 am

The population of wolves has had its up and downs through history, but for the most recent update is that they have recovered from their endangerment. Keeping wolves on the federal List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife listed is no longer relevant in our current time. However, I do fear that if they are taken off the list, bias would take root either for or against wolves. If the gray wolf is ever de-listed, the decisions regarding the species is left to the state officials who could could eventually lead them back to being actually endangered. I suppose depending on the particular state's political opinion that could create a disproportionate management one in either direction.