New version: Pictures and more

Post the links to your favorite WolfQuest screenshots and videos here.

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: New version: Pictures

Post by paperpaws » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:49 am

These screenshots look fantastic! First time I actually regret not owning a tablet :'D The radio collar is an interesting and neat-looking twist, too, not something I ever expected to see in WQ!

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:06 am

It wouldn't be excessive work, it would send the awesomeness of the game skyrocketing!

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:44 pm

It would be cool if you just simply heard periodic beeps coming from the color, so you somewhat know that you're being tracked.... :3

okami9193
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by okami9193 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:21 pm

I'm loving the collar idea! It would be great to have that as an option for the wolf customization. Also, the idea of an occasional beep is very clever. The wolf model is look pretty impressive too (even if it may be the one used from the past). I cant wait for more picture updates! I'm hoping for a sneak peek at the customization menu... hehe...

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:36 pm

Is that the new map in the tracking collar background? I don't recall Slough Creek having mountains as a backdrop like Amethyst Mountain.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:58 pm

CakeWolfy wrote:It would be cool if you just simply heard periodic beeps coming from the color, so you somewhat know that you're being tracked.... :3
  • That would be a cool element of realism CakeWolfy, but to my knowledge, the actual collars don't beep at all!

This is a great quote about radio telemetry in general, and as it applies to wolves:
Read about Radio-Tracking Wolves

Because the wolves are rarely seen, one of the few ways biologists have to monitor (check on) their activities is to radio-track them.

Radio-tracking (also known as radio telemetry) has been used for many years to study wildlife. The collars used on wolves weigh a little over a pound. The main components (parts) are a battery and a transmitter which emits a signal on a specified frequency or channel.

To pick up this signal, biologists use a special receiver and an antenna. When the correct frequency is dialed in and the antenna is pointed toward the wolf, trackers hear a steady beeping signal — the closer the wolf, the stronger the signal.

Some radio collars have the ability to emit different types of signals, depending on what the wolf is doing. For instance, if the wolf is active, the beeps might become more rapid. Most collars are equipped with a "mortality mode" — the one signal biologists hate to hear. It only comes on when the collar has not moved for several hours, which means the wolf is no longer wearing the collar or the wolf has died.

To locate a wolf, the biologist stands with the antenna above his head and slowly turns it in a circle until he hears the signal. The direction the signal is coming from is marked on a map. The biologist then moves to another location (usually a mile or so away) and gets a second bearing on the wolf. The wolf's location is approximately where the bearings intersect (cross) on a map.

Adult Wolf Picture Ground tracking can be very difficult and is often inaccurate. Signals can be interrupted by hills and trees. Another disadvantage is that the tracker has to be relatively close to the wolf to pick up the signal — usually within two or three miles.

A much more reliable system of radio-tracking (also more expensive) is to track by air. The antennas are attached outside the airplane and the biologist sits next to the pilot and listens for the signal on a headset attached to the receiver.

Tracking by air has many advantages over ground tracking: Signal interference is much less because you are above the hills and trees; on a clear day, the signal can be picked up from as far away as ten miles; locations are more accurate because you can fly right over the wolf and pinpoint where it is.
  • Source: http://teacher.scholastic.com/wolves/rabout4.htm

In a nutshell: the transmitter the scientist wears like a purse is attached to an antenna the scientist holds. The transmitter is the part that beeps! The antenna is receiving a signal from the radio collar, and the speed or loudness of the beeps that come out of the transmitter will change depending on how close to the collar the scientist is.

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:41 am

Oohhhhh, ok! Good to know, I always figured that some aspect of the thing beeped, but I always thought it was the collar itself, now I know its just the transmitter, but I still find the collar feature cool, even if it can't beep...

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Something else that might work would be to have a plane fly over once in a while (but only if your wolf has a collar). I don't think you'd even need a plane model: just the sound would be cool.
Or maybe you would hear beeping...only it would be the transmitter of the person tracking you. Not that you would ever find the person though.

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:22 am

Hoover wrote:Something else that might work would be to have a plane fly over once in a while (but only if your wolf has a collar). I don't think you'd even need a plane model: just the sound would be cool.
Or maybe you would hear beeping...only it would be the transmitter of the person tracking you. Not that you would ever find the person though.
Those are very good ideas! I hope they add at least the airplane one!

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:19 pm

The airplane idea sounds cool, maybe if you don't outift your wolf with a collar a plane may fly over and tranquilize you. Then you wake up with one, than would be pretty cool. :D

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:22 pm

The sound of a plane would certainly be interesting to add; I'm assuming it would be similar to the nature of the human and dog sounds found in the Cattle Ranch level, so I do not see why it would be impossible to add. Maybe a specific event could trigger it, and it could be a one-time kind of easter egg if that is easier to implement?

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:01 pm

It would be interesting, but I feel that it would be more coding than what is really needed, like the den idea. Cool, nice feature, but not needed and causes more time needed for production.

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:54 pm

You do have a point there Skybreaker, well, its up to Dave and the crew to decide whether or not to put it in the game

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:13 pm

Skybreaker wrote:It would be interesting, but I feel that it would be more coding than what is really needed, like the den idea. Cool, nice feature, but not needed and causes more time needed for production.

Yeah I guess. But the occasional sound of a plane wouldn't be too much I hope. The tranquillizer idea of mine does seem like a little much, but is just a suggestion. :oops:

Necros
Pup
Pup

Post by Necros » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:26 pm

Never thought WQ would have a radio collar. It looks awesome! :mrgreen:

Return to “WolfQuest Screenshots & Videos”