I saw a wild cougar in town!

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolfis

I saw a wild cougar in town!

Post by wolfis » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:11 pm

This cougar was running around the streets when I was at the store. It was chasing cars and making a lot of deaths! It was chased by a big dog at the end, which bit it hard. But, of course then the cougar left a gashing wound on it's shoulder. Then another cougar came and seemed to help cougar 1 destroy the dog! The dog was sure big, but was no match for the 2 cougars, then the dog died and was dragged off into the mountains by the 2 cougars. They worked on team work. I'm never going to that store again! i might die if another cougar comes along!

{Please don't go off topic, or else I'll get someone to lock this}
Last edited by wolfis on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaylani
Pup
Pup

Re: Saw a wild cougar in town!

Post by Kaylani » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:39 pm

So you mean it was killing things? Like *gulp* people?! :shock: And that poor doggie! I bet it didn't look forward to becoming 'doggie al la rong`e'! But I do feel bad for it, lol. :shock:
I am gone...I'm not on here very often, so here's where I'm most active:

http://impressivetitle.proboards.com/in ... iewprofile
Or, my DA.
www.katriania.deviantart.com

Bai, mah pals. >.>

Shakene
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Shakene » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:36 pm

I can assure you, this almost never happens. In fact, I've never heard of it happening before... not in a standard street. Cougars are not vicious animals, and they are very shy. These were most likely rabid, or had been tamed/fed. Whatever the case, just remember to always respect wild animals, and it is highly unlikely that you will ever see anything like that again.
Shakene/Miststar

Leader of MoonClan!

meagan
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: i dont have a short atention span i just... oh look a birdy!!

Post by meagan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:12 pm

it is possible for a cougar or 2 cougars to hunt and kill a dog for food if its really hungry and theres no food around.. accept..for..THE dOg
.... (\_/)
(... {, "-;
)).. /';.\
((_()'_ \\,
emerald

(::) given:4
(::) gotten:

!NOTICE! If U Notice This Notice U Will Notice This Notice Is Not Worth Noticing

wolfis

Post by wolfis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:29 pm

I know that cougars are shy, but us people cannot kill them because of their claws and size. They are too fast to catch lol. I think the cougars were mates because the second one was bigger than the first one. I figure the smaller one was the female and the bigger one was male. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

April

Post by April » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:36 pm

Shakene wrote:I can assure you, this almost never happens. In fact, I've never heard of it happening before... not in a standard street. Cougars are not vicious animals, and they are very shy. These were most likely rabid, or had been tamed/fed. Whatever the case, just remember to always respect wild animals, and it is highly unlikely that you will ever see anything like that again.

Acsually cougers are common to kill people. Cougers wander everywhere. At least in Canada they do. They are like bears. They wander into towns, citys/civilizations and attack people. Not because they enjoy it but usually because they come across a human and are scared and trying to protect themselves, or protecting something like a carcass or a family. If they are extremely hungry they might attack too or as Shakene said, tamed/fed. But there are numerous storys where cougers had wandered into towns/citys and many people were getting injured and killed and many livestalk and animals as well. In fact there is a couger that had been seen wandering around our city for awhile but fortinately it never hurt a soul. People didn't dare to go out alone on the trails at night though. My dad still says never to walk alone on those trails. I also saw a tv show where a guy was bike riding and a couger jumped on him from the top of the trees. The other guy on the bike got off his bike and ran for his life while another guy pulled out a gun and shot at the couger, which scared it away and the man who was attacked survived. Cougers and Bears are curious and dangerous.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:33 pm

They were probably not killing people. Cougars usually only attack if there are one or two people walking in their territory. They are quite solitary and shy animals. They would never attack a group of people, unless their rabid of course.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

meagan
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: i dont have a short atention span i just... oh look a birdy!!

Post by meagan » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:36 am

yeah so that mean i was...RIGHT!! yey sorry for bragging
.... (\_/)
(... {, "-;
)).. /';.\
((_()'_ \\,
emerald

(::) given:4
(::) gotten:

!NOTICE! If U Notice This Notice U Will Notice This Notice Is Not Worth Noticing

April

Post by April » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:13 am

But cougers and bears are wanderers. They don't usually stay in one place. They wander and rome all over the place, which makes them very dangerous as they arn't that shy. They rome into farms, citys, towns, and civilizations. They won't attack people unless they think the person means harm or what other reasons. Those cougers were probably rabid. But cougers do kill people often.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

~April~

Snow Powder Runs Pack

OrcaGirl
Pup
Pup

Post by OrcaGirl » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:45 am

A cougar!!! OMG that is scary! Did anyone get hurt?! Hey i've had 5 coyotes in my backyard already. Cougars live in my back acreage. :shock: And deer. And bobcat.
Avvie by NightShadows

Shakene
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Shakene » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:06 pm

wolfis wrote:I know that cougars are shy, but us people cannot kill them because of their claws and size. They are too fast to catch lol. I think the cougars were mates because the second one was bigger than the first one. I figure the smaller one was the female and the bigger one was male. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Actually, we can and do kill them. In fact, they have nearly been hunted to extinction in the U.S., and some subspecies, such as the Florida Panther, are listed as critically endangered. You are probably right about them being mates, though, as cougars are normally solitary. Or, it was a mother and her mostly grown cub.
April wrote:But cougers and bears are wanderers. They don't usually stay in one place. They wander and rome all over the place, which makes them very dangerous as they arn't that shy. They rome into farms, citys, towns, and civilizations. They won't attack people unless they think the person means harm or what other reasons. Those cougers were probably rabid. But cougers do kill people often.
Cougars and bears actually have very defined territories, and often large ones. They are normally extremely shy. I have been within twenty feet of bears plenty of times (only because I stumbled upon them and they didn't know I was there), and they always turn tail and run. Although, as you said, they will only attack if they feel they are threatened, their offspring are threatened, or they are rabid. Cases of cougar attacks are very rare. It just seems that they are common, since we hear about the times that people get attacked, not when people see a cougar and it runs away. The media loves bad stuff...
Redsky wrote:They were probably not killing people. Cougars usually only attack if there are one or two people walking in their territory. They are quite solitary and shy animals. They would never attack a group of people, unless their rabid of course.
Yes... thank you for clarifying this Redsky.
Shakene/Miststar

Leader of MoonClan!

April

Post by April » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:25 pm

In Canada Cougers are very common and are not shy. There have been many couger attacks in Canada and campgrounds always warn us about cougers and bears.

~April~

Snow Powder Runs Pack

TimberWolfie
Pup
Pup

Post by TimberWolfie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:28 pm

Wow, that is something I've never heard of before! A wild cougar coming to town. Never knew they came to civilization...
Upon a moutaintop
A wolf sings of her despair
To the moon above, of a forlorn love
Her tale echos on the cold night air
She waits for the one who will respond
To see him appear
A wolf just as she, and longing to be
The one to ease all of her fear

charyasha
Yearling
Yearling

Post by charyasha » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:22 pm

April wrote:
Shakene wrote:I can assure you, this almost never happens. In fact, I've never heard of it happening before... not in a standard street. Cougars are not vicious animals, and they are very shy. These were most likely rabid, or had been tamed/fed. Whatever the case, just remember to always respect wild animals, and it is highly unlikely that you will ever see anything like that again.

Acsually cougers are common to kill people. Cougers wander everywhere. At least in Canada they do. They are like bears. They wander into towns, citys/civilizations and attack people. Not because they enjoy it but usually because they come across a human and are scared and trying to protect themselves, or protecting something like a carcass or a family. If they are extremely hungry they might attack too or as Shakene said, tamed/fed. But there are numerous storys where cougers had wandered into towns/citys and many people were getting injured and killed and many livestalk and animals as well. In fact there is a couger that had been seen wandering around our city for awhile but fortinately it never hurt a soul. People didn't dare to go out alone on the trails at night though. My dad still says never to walk alone on those trails. I also saw a tv show where a guy was bike riding and a couger jumped on him from the top of the trees. The other guy on the bike got off his bike and ran for his life while another guy pulled out a gun and shot at the couger, which scared it away and the man who was attacked survived. Cougers and Bears are curious and dangerous.
i saw that show too
One does not care to acknowledge one's mistakes of youth.

wolfis

Post by wolfis » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:30 pm

I know they are being hunted but did you know that those certain cougars are being kept at a zoo a few miles away from where I was? I heard news that 2 cougars climbed the walls of their exibit and got out, they were supposed to stay in the exibit because they were the zoo's most dangerous animal couple there, maybe the cougars I saw were them - - the zoo gave out all kinds of info about them~it said that they were too dangerous to escape- and the nightmares begin - - :shock:

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”