Who is stronger?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Aeris-Rayn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Who is stronger?

Post by Aeris-Rayn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:52 pm

well, hyenas are feline, but anywho i think lions are stronger.
If your wolf name happens to be NightFur or Angel, please pm me!! We have pack buisness to attend to!

Shad
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Shad » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:23 am

one-on-one, Lion of course! :)
If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.

Join Moonlight Mist Wolf Pack!http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24015

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:45 am

Shad wrote:one-on-one, Lion of course! :)
Yep. Saw it on TV. But hyenas have much stronger jaws o3o

DeiWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by DeiWolf » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:24 pm

It would be a lion, unless its three hyenas or two hyenas agains one lion, or a cub or sick lion against a hyena then a hyena would win, but one hyena has no chance against a lioness (because hyena would'nt be dumb enough to attack a male lion head on) but for the record a Hyena has a bite force of over 1000lbs and a lions bite force is close to 700lbs, so a Hyena would be strongest for jaw strength. Hyenas are NOT canines, they have there own family called hyaenidae.
My parents tried to throw me to the wolves.
But the wolves threw me back!

Razorfang
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Razorfang » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:36 pm

-one to one: Lion will win.
-one lion to pack hyena's: I think the lion will be scared off, unwounded, Lions are running faster then Hyena's. (i think)
-4 lions agains pack of 12 Hyena's: I think the Hyena's will be chased off, and maybe even some wounded. Lions are far more agfressive and intended to fight.
- pack of Lions against Pack of Hyena's; dunno, maybe they will watch eachother for 2 hours before someone goes away, often with great packs/prides facing eachother thee is no fighting between them, only much staring, etc.
-pack of lions against one Hyena: bye bye Hyena. (O.o)

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Here are some videos that will answer this question:

The answer: It's never a definite win.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:02 pm

hyenas are not felines. They are related to the mongoose, weasel animals more so than cats. If you had a clan of hyenas vs one lion than you could say its safe that the hyenas would win. But if it was a single hyena vs a single lion than most likely the lion would win.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:21 pm

pawnee wrote:hyenas are not felines. They are related to the mongoose, weasel animals more so than cats. If you had a clan of hyenas vs one lion than you could say its safe that the hyenas would win. But if it was a single hyena vs a single lion than most likely the lion would win.
More closely related to Weasels then anything else, but they are not in family Mustelidae. Hyenas belong to their own family, called Hyaenidae which includes the Striped Hyena, Brown Hyena, the Spotted Hyena, and the.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:21 am

Songdog wrote:
pawnee wrote:hyenas are not felines. They are related to the mongoose, weasel animals more so than cats. If you had a clan of hyenas vs one lion than you could say its safe that the hyenas would win. But if it was a single hyena vs a single lion than most likely the lion would win.
More closely related to Weasels then anything else, but they are not in family Mustelidae. Hyenas belong to their own family, called Hyaenidae which includes the Striped Hyena, Brown Hyena, the Spotted Hyena, and the.
thanks songdog :D I knew it was their own family but I forgot what it was called.

Also a hyena group is called a Clan, not a pack. canines form packs.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:48 am

I don't remember if I commented on this topic previously, probably did, or with what information, but here is an interesting quotation about the lion and hyena jaw power:
First of all, a Hyena never intent to kill and they never attack but only intimidate by numbers if ONLY its about food, they always bite and go away and defend themselfes.. But A Hyena has the ability, it can kill a Lion and can damage / kill even a Male Lion, has happend many times!

How can a Hyena matchup with a Lion or a Male Lion you say!? Its very simple, A fullgrown Female spotted Hyena is very Intelligent animal and on 2nd place just behind a Crocodile in Jaw Strength.. over 1000+ LBS of bite pressure and are pound for pound the strongest animals in this world and they have ridicilously massive and strong neck muscles to match, which allows them to take very much damage to the neck area when something like a Lion bites there and they can turn the head almost 360 degrees... But when a Hyena bites, they CRUSH.. literally, they bite thru large bones as easy and as fast as we humans bite thru butter!! Many people dont understand the power a Hyena possess. When a Lion fights a Hyena, notice how they always use their Claws to control a Hyenas jaws and they immediately bite on the neck to avoid geting bitten..

But wouldn't a full-grown lion have a body weight advantage on this anyways? Lions weight, what, 900 pounds? They are, the second largest cat species next to tigers, in the least. . . And how much does a hyena weigh? 90 pounds? 100?
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:52 pm

Male Lion: 150–250 kg (330–550 lb)
Female Lion: 120–182 kg (264–400 lb)

Brown Hyena: 37–55 kg (82–121 lb)

Male Spotted Hyena: 45 kg (99 lb) to 60 kg (132 lb)
Female Spotted Hyena: 55 kg (121 lb) to 70 kg (154 lb) (with limits of 90 kg/200 lb)

Male Striped Hyena: 26–41 kilograms (57–90 pounds)
Female Striped Hyena: 26–34 kg (57–75 lb)

Aardwolf: 9kg to 14 kg

Your estimates were rather off. It should be noted that "Hyena" refers to all animals in family Hyaenidae. You need to specify which, otherwise it's like saying "Felines weigh ____". Spotted Hyenas are often the ones people think of and have the closest connection to lions.

Also: Females in Hyena clans are the dominant gender.

The relationship between hyenas and lions in areas where they coexist is unique in its complexity and intensity. Lions and hyenas are both apex predators which feed on the same prey, and are therefore in direct competition with one other. As such, they will often fight over and steal each others' kills. Though it is popularly assumed that hyenas are opportunistic scavengers which profit from the lion's hunting abilities, it is quite often the case that the reversal is true. In Tanzania's Ngorongoro Crater, the hyena population greatly exceeds that of the resident lions, which obtain a large proportion of their food by pirating hyena prey. The feud between the two species does however seem to encompass more than just battles over food. In the animal kingdom, the territorial boundaries of another species are usually disregarded. Hyenas and lions are an exception to this seeing as they set boundaries against each other as they would against members of their same species. Male lions are extremely aggressive toward hyenas, and have been observed to hunt and kill hyenas without eating them. Conversely, hyenas are major predators of lion cubs. When attacking adults, hyenas go after groups of females or better yet, a single female. However, healthy adult males, even single ones, are generally avoided. In April 1999, a particularly bloody "war" between lions and hyenas lasting two weeks was reported in Gobele desert of Ethiopia. Lions eventually drove hyenas off the region after killing around 35 hyenas while losing six of their own.

Spotted hyenas typically dominate solitary felines like leopards and cheetahs. Although the diet of leopards and cheetahs shows little overlap with that of hyenas, hyenas will often follow the cats in an attempt at stealing their kills. A single hyena is usually sufficient at driving a leopard or cheetah from its kill, though some male leopards have been recorded to occasionally kill hyenas for food.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:13 am

Thanks for the correction, Songdog. Sorry, my bad.

Still, comparing the weighs of a lion and a hyena and the body structure overall, I would say a lion would win.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:10 pm

Embry wrote:Thanks for the correction, Songdog. Sorry, my bad.

Still, comparing the weighs of a lion and a hyena and the body structure overall, I would say a lion would win.
The weight is that incredibly different, mine you. Most hyena clans are made up of females, who dominate, while most lion prides are also made up of females, who are subordinates.

If a female hyena was against a female lion, it would be in the lion's favor, but not indefinitely.

A clan of hyenas against a clan of lions: too many variables; you'd have to figure the gender ratio of each, the population ratio of each, the condition of each clan/pride, and the reason for the fight.

Aleu254
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Somewhere or maybe no where, try again later something might pop up.

Post by Aleu254 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:04 am

well lion are the third largest cat so i dont now
Life is hard, only you make it harder.
Everyone dies , only a few people really live.

snohomish10
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by snohomish10 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:28 pm

sSilvers wrote:I've saw on television that hyena jaws are much stronger than lion ones. Don't really know who would win a fight, though. Lions have their claws and a better protection.
yes hyena jaws are very very strong i saw it to and its true but just think a lion is more big and has bigger claws and teeth and its is way more bigger then a hyena so whos stronger now?

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”