General Tiger Discussion

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

What do you think of tigers, before and after you read the information?

Before I read the information: Majestic creatures
55%
Before I read the information: Man-Eating beasts
2%
After I read the information: Majestic creatures
43%
After I read the information: Man-eating beasts
No votes

Total votes: 82

+Kuma+
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Tigers: Majestic Creatures or Man-eating Beasts?

Post by +Kuma+ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Mezzanota wrote:On animal planet, there was a show which had temple in India where monks worshipped tigers; in fact, they believed that when a human died, they were reborn as tigers, so they had 11 tigers in the temple and were trying to improve it because there were only 6 or 7 monks or something...
Why wouldn't anyone want to be a monk in a temple filled with tigers? lol

I love tigers too, white ones are expecially beautiful

chelseaojedasoto1234
Pup
Pup

Post by chelseaojedasoto1234 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Ok let me type some more in about tigers. :D Enjoy!

Tiger Facts

The tiger is the largest member of a felid (cat) family. The sport long, thick reddish coats with white bellies and white or black tails. Their heads, bodies, tails and limbs have narrow black, brown or gray stripes. There were once nine subspecies of tigers: Bengal, Siberian, Indochinese, South Chinese, Sumatran, Malayan, Caspian, Javan and Bali. Of these, the last three are extinct, one is extinct in the wild, and the rest are endangered.

Fast Facts

Height: 3/3 ½ feet (.9 - 1.1m) at shoulders.
Length: Head and body length 4.6 - 9.2 (1.4 - 2.8m) feet (tail length 2-3 feet (.6 - .9m).
Weight: The Siberian tiger is the largest subspecies and males weigh from around 400-675 lbs (181-306 kg), while the Sumatran tiger, the smallest living subspecies, weighs in from around 220-310 lbs (100-136 kg).
Females of all tiger subspecies are smaller than males.
Lifespan 10-15 years

Diet

Staples: Sambar deer, wild pigs, water buffalo and antelope
Tigers are also known to attack sloth bear, dogs, leopards, crocodiles and pythons as well as monkeys and hares. Old and injured tigers have been known to attack humans and domestic cattle.

Population

In the early 1900s, there were around 100,000 tigers throughout their range. Today, an estimated total of around 3,000-4,500 exist in the wild. Below is a breakdown of tiger numbers by subspecies.Did You Know?

Just like the domestic housecat, tigers keep their claws sharp for hunting by pulling in their retractable claws into a protective sheath.
Bengal tiger: Less than 2,000
Indochinese tiger: 750-1,300
Siberian tiger: Around 450
Sumatran tiger: 400-500
Malayan tiger: 600-800
South Chinese tiger: Extinct in the wild
Caspian tiger: Extinct
Javan tiger: Extinct
Bali tiger: Extinct

Range

Historic tiger range ran from Turkey through South and Southeast Asia to the far eastern shores of the continent. Today, they are only found in South and Southeast Asia, China and the Russian Far East.

Behavior

Tigers occupy a variety of habitats from tropical forests, evergreen forests, woodlands and mangrove swamps to grasslands savannah and rocky country. They are mostly nocturnal (more active at night) and are ambush predators that rely on the camouflage their stripes provide. Tigers use their body weight to knock prey to the ground and kills with a bite to the neck. They are also very good swimmers and have been known to kill prey while swimming.
Did You Know?

Tiger cubs become independent around 18 months of age, but it is not until they are around 2–2.5 years old that they leave their mother.

Tigers essentially live solitary lives, except during mating season and when females bear young. They are usually fiercely territorial and have and mark their large home ranges.

Reproduction
Mating Season: In tropical climates, mostly from around November to April; during the winter months in temperate regions.
Gestation: 103 days.
Litter size: 3-4 cubs.
Cubs follow their mother out of the den at around 8 weeks and become independent at around 18 months of age. They leave their mothers at about 2 ½ years. Mothers guard their young from wandering males that may kill the cubs to make the female receptive to mating.

Global Warming and Other Threats

As global warming continues to warm the planet, tigers are feeling the heat. As we see ocean levels rise, tigers are losing habitat due to costal erosion in areas like India's Sundarban islands. As rising sea levels claim more habitat and sea water moves up river, naturally fresh water is becoming more saline, or more highly concentrated with salt. These factors are forcing the tigers to move northward towards areas more heavily populated by humans and increasing the likelihood of animal/human conflicts.
Did You Know?

Most tigers have more than 100 stripes. The stripes are like fingerprints and no two tigers have the same pattern.

Tigers are also facing many other threats. They are illegally killed or poached because their pelts are valuable in the black market trade, their body parts are used in traditional Asian medicines and they are seen as threats to human communities. There is also large scale habitat loss due to human population growth and expansion. Human encroachment into tiger habitat also decreases prey animals.
Reasons For Hope

Despite losing around 93% of their historical habitat and dwindling numbers, a recent study shows that tigers in the India sub-continent retain much of their genetic viability. These genes are critically important to the recovery and survival of tigers and this is giving the Indian government even more incentive to preserve this magnificent animal.

And that's all I can tell you more, if you want more please tell me or I can tell u a different animal fact, if you want. :D
Leaving WolfQuest... I need to stay active and not be on the computer that much, so good bye!

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:10 pm

Just like all dangerous animals, you have to respect them, if you know they live in the forests near you, than you are going into their territories and taking a risk of getting attacked, not their fault.

Fawnir
Pup
Pup

Post by Fawnir » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:47 am

I believe that "man-killers" are only that way because we bother them. Some animals can't take the stress of humans moving into the area. Tigers should be respected. I am not against animals being used in entertainment if they are happy with what they do. But say when a tiger attacks it trainers it is probably because it can't take the stress or the trainer or human made a wrong move. You see it all the time on those shows when animals attack. It is usually the humans fault. If the tiger just doesn't like to preform anymore than it is time to retire it. I don't like however the circus tigers. You can just tell they really don't like what they are doing. But that is just my two cents.
Mezzanota wrote:On animal planet, there was a show which had temple in India where monks worshipped tigers; in fact, they believed that when a human died, they were reborn as tigers, so they had 11 tigers in the temple and were trying to improve it because there were only 6 or 7 monks or something...

Monks in Tailand~

http://i.pbase.com/o4/50/294250/1/53944830._X9Z6262.jpg
o0o~Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month for Nov.~o0o
~**~*Avatar by April!~**~*
Proud Member and Scout of the Undine Falls Pack!!

chelseaojedasoto1234
Pup
Pup

Post by chelseaojedasoto1234 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:18 am

Fawnir wrote:I believe that "man-killers" are only that way because we bother them. Some animals can't take the stress of humans moving into the area. Tigers should be respected. I am not against animals being used in entertainment if they are happy with what they do. But say when a tiger attacks it trainers it is probably because it can't take the stress or the trainer or human made a wrong move. You see it all the time on those shows when animals attack. It is usually the humans fault. If the tiger just doesn't like to preform anymore than it is time to retire it. I don't like however the circus tigers. You can just tell they really don't like what they are doing. But that is just my two cents.

Monks in Tailand~

http://i.pbase.com/o4/50/294250/1/53944830._X9Z6262.jpg

I agree with you Fawnir, the tigers keep attacking because we keep on bothering them, so that's why they attack. In south Africa, there were people living in South Africa. One day, a woman's husband went hunting, and didn't come back home, the woman was afraid that something might had happen to him, and it did happen. The husband was out going to get some food for his family, when he was at a tall tree picking fruits, a tiger was hiding. The husband didn't know that the tiger was hiding, and going to attack him. When he was done picking up some fruit, and turned around. The tiger run at fast as he can and began to attack the man. The husband keeped on screaming and screaming, but no one had heard him. And he was gone... And he never came back. Some children were attacked too from tigers, a lot of children actually, so the South Africa people decided to where masks, they put it on the back of there heads. So that they can confuse the tiger with the mask. No more people had, been attacked, they began to hunt tigers fur now. And that, is why the tigers are beginning to be extinct, from a lot of tigers being gone for there fur!!!
Leaving WolfQuest... I need to stay active and not be on the computer that much, so good bye!

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:41 pm

Africa? I thought tigers were only native to Asia..? You might be thinking of a lion, or a leopard, because tigers do not live in South Africa.
Last edited by shadowwolf2234 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:12 am

perhaps tigers aren't so bad after all :wink:

chelseaojedasoto1234
Pup
Pup

Post by chelseaojedasoto1234 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Well, they probably spread to South Africa, but that's what they said on Animal Planet. I heard it on Animal Planet.

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:26 pm

chelseaojedasoto1234 wrote:Well, they probably spread to South Africa, but that's what they said on Animal Planet. I heard it on Animal Planet.
I'm pretty sure tigers never lived in Africa, regardless of what Animal Planet said, I think the climate would be to hot. =) Anyway, other than the King Cheetah or the Barbary lion, the tiger is my third favorite big cat.

chelseaojedasoto1234
Pup
Pup

Post by chelseaojedasoto1234 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:12 pm

shadowwolf2234 wrote:
chelseaojedasoto1234 wrote:Well, they probably spread to South Africa, but that's what they said on Animal Planet. I heard it on Animal Planet.
I'm pretty sure tigers never lived in Africa, regardless of what Animal Planet said, I think the climate would be to hot. =) Anyway, other than the King Cheetah or the Barbary lion, the tiger is my third favorite big cat.

I do not know what the king cheetah is, can you send me a image of it. You don't have to PM me of you want to.

Starforest
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Starforest » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:27 pm

I simply LOVE tigers! Favourite animal on EARTH! I have this weird obsession with all types of cats, so obviously my favourite is an awesome tiger
Hello, everyone! :3 I'm baaaack!

portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by portia » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:19 pm

I think tigers are stunning, magestic, beautiful, creatures that deserve respect and admiration
chelseaojedasoto1234 wrote:
shadowwolf2234 wrote:

I'm pretty sure tigers never lived in Africa, regardless of what Animal Planet said, I think the climate would be to hot. =)  Anyway, other than the King Cheetah or the Barbary lion, the tiger is my third favorite big cat.

I do not know what the king cheetah is, can you send me a image of it. You don't have to PM me of you want to.
Here's some info on king cheetahs:
 The King Cheetah is an extremely rare, regal and strikingly beautiful animal. At one time it was considered to be a separate subspecies. Main difference between our King Cheetah and the normal standard spotted Cheetah is that its coat pattern differs distinctively. The standard Cheetah's coat is generally a yellow or golden color with a circular spotted pattern of small black markings. The King Cheetah has spots that run together to form several (usually three) black stripes down its back from the crest of its neck to the top of the tail. They also sport dark patch shaped markings, irregular in size and shape along their sides and flanks.

And here's a link to a pic that shows the difference between a normal and king cheetah coat:
http://www.wildcatfund.org/2Cheetahs.jpg

[/color]
________Ͽ.Լ ᴀ ᴅ ʏ || Լ ᴜ ᴄ ɪ ғ ᴇ ʀ Ͼ
__......._.http://nymah-rose.deviantart.com
____.───────────────────────
__________Is ɪᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛ
__________ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜɪs ᴋɪʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ?
__._.______.___Av©Jewelz

Coats

Post by Coats » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:44 pm

I think that tigers were labeled, just as the wolf was. Ex.-
Red Riding Hood- Portays the wolf as evil with the character the Big Bad Wolf.
The Jungle Book- Portrays the tiger as evil with the character Shere Khan

Both of those are timeless children's classics, filling the minds of young people with terrible images of animals to be feared. When the children grow, they have the power to make the fear go away, which explains poaching and hunting.
In wildness is the salvation of the world.

MidnightTiger
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by MidnightTiger » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:37 am

The tiger is the most beautiful and majestic being in the world I dont go to zoos because its like a jail for them... when a animal hits a certain age they put it down (kill it) and the age or the tiger is 9 .... only 9... in captivaity then they go and get another one or have breed that one and keep 2 of the cubs... all i ask is: what do ppl get out of hurting a animal? yes i realize that we need to keep the population down but there is only 300 golden tigers left!!!! none are wild!!!! so please stop the killing before its to late!!!!

Tigers attacking
tigers attack if they feel threaten or cornered other wise they would run from you n a heart beat... there is no such thing as a bad animal ony bad people! please save them!
death is something...
not to be feared....
but respected.

portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by portia » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:39 am

MidnightTiger wrote:The tiger is the most beautiful and majestic being in the world I dont go to zoos because its like a jail for them... when a animal hits a certain age they put it down (kill it) and the age or the tiger is 9 .... only 9... in captivaity then they go and get another one or have breed that one and keep 2 of the cubs... all i ask is: what do ppl get out of hurting a animal? yes i realize that we need to keep the population down but there is only 300 golden tigers left!!!! none are wild!!!! so please stop the killing before its to late!!!!

Tigers attacking
tigers attack if they feel threaten or cornered other wise they would run from you n a heart beat... there is no such thing as a bad animal ony bad people! please save them!
Where did you get the information that they kill tigers at nine? I have never heard of any zoos putting any animal down at a certain age
________Ͽ.Լ ᴀ ᴅ ʏ || Լ ᴜ ᴄ ɪ ғ ᴇ ʀ Ͼ
__......._.http://nymah-rose.deviantart.com
__________Is ɪᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛ
__________ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜɪs ᴋɪʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ?
__._.______.___Av©Jewelz

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”