General Tiger Discussion

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

What do you think of tigers, before and after you read the information?

Before I read the information: Majestic creatures
55%
Before I read the information: Man-Eating beasts
2%
After I read the information: Majestic creatures
43%
After I read the information: Man-eating beasts
No votes

Total votes: 82

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Kali

Re: Tigers: Majestic Creatures or Man-eating Beasts?

Post by Alpha Female » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:38 am

Zoos get money for keeping their animals alive and healthy. No zoo I know of would put down a rare animal such as a tiger by the age of nine. They would want it to live as long as possible.
shadowwolf2234 wrote:
chelseaojedasoto1234 wrote:Well, they probably spread to South Africa, but that's what they said on Animal Planet. I heard it on Animal Planet.

I'm pretty sure tigers never lived in Africa, regardless of what Animal Planet said, I think the climate would be to hot. =) Anyway, other than the King Cheetah or the Barbary lion, the tiger is my third favorite big cat.

Tigers don't live in Africa (except in zoos and other places like that). You may have seen that documentary on Animal Planet about seeing if a tiger would be able to live in a wildlife park in Africa. They released one in a large enclosure with gazelles and other prey animals. Of course, the tiger was just as successful hunting there as it was in its homeland. But, they never actually released the tiger into the actual wildlife park. They took it back to its homeland.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

April

Post by April » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:22 am

Tigers are awesome. But I have to admit that I'm glad I don't live where tehy do-because I don't want to be some tiger's next victim XD But it's nice to admire them from afar ;)
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

River_song
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by River_song » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:50 pm

Poor tigers, i lovebig cats, i feel bad for them, having man watch there every move through a gun :cry: Poor babies
JOIN AQUA BLOODS! Trust Me You Won't Regret It. aquabloods.wetpaint.com

River_song
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by River_song » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:50 pm

Poor tigers, i lovebig cats, i feel bad for them, having man watch there every move through a gun :cry: Poor babies
JOIN AQUA BLOODS! Trust Me You Won't Regret It. aquabloods.wetpaint.com

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:37 pm

Not all tigers are threatened by man. Remember that humans also help tigers, not just kill them.

I wouldn't mind living near tigers, as long as you know how to be safe around them, then there's no need to worry. But, always use common sense.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

MagicMoon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by MagicMoon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:32 pm

I honestly dont think at all that Tigers are man-eating beasts. I think they are wonderful, very majestic creatures that dont deserved to be harmed by humans at all! The only reason is why thousands of people get killed by Tigers, is that the humans are not smart enough to stay away from it. Tigers deserve to be very much protected. Tigers are getting more and more endangered every day, as long as they keep getting harmed, there wont be much hope left for them. They are also the biggest cat in the world, with 4 inch claws, long canines, and powerful back legs, they are a killing machine, and are not afraid of showing their mighty power, and sneaky ways of attacking people. Tigers are wonderful cats, that should live a happy life for as long as they shall live. :wink:

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:42 pm

The more land we take from the tigers, means the tigers are squished into other land. Sooner or later, the only wild part left with have tigers, meaning if someone goes in there, they are more likely to be attacked. I watched a show on how people were masks on the back of their head so the tigers don't sneak up on them. Tigers hunt by going for the blind side (AKA, your back) so if you wear a mask, the tiger knows your watching it and won't attack.
But, tigers are majestic creatures. They have to hunt to eat. They don't have grocery stores or fast food places, they have to go burn the energy and kill something.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:46 am

I partially agree with the comments of certain users, but I think there are some points that need to be clarified.

When talking about animals that are as formidable and unpredictable as tigers, you need to keep yourself unbiased regarding facts but also beware of antagonizing the animal. Tigers are revered in many cultures but they are also greatly feared. Historically, tigers have killed, critically injured, and some cases, even eaten humans. In South Asia, particularly in India, it is estimated that throughout the course of history, tigers have killed over 10,000 people. BUT, there is a significant difference between the tigers that have attacked humans and the tigers that have actually acquired a taste for human flesh, these so-called "man-eating beasts". Man-eating tigers do not exist in the modern day. Old, ill and provoked tigers are more likely to execute attacks on humans than healthy, younger specimens which naturally fear and avoid humans.
The legends that sprung the whole imagery about the tigers prowling in the night and stalking villagers from the jungle were mainly caused by two reasons: A) Tiger sightings near villages and possible attacks on livestock and B) During the Vietnam and Korean wars, the bodies of many dead soldiers were left unburied, causing tigers to take advantage of available meat. The consumption of corpses was the main reason why some tigers in certain regions developed a hunting style that included the purposeful attacking, killing and consuming human flesh. In general, tigers, just like all other predatory animals, do not regard humans as their primary prey. It is incredibly rare that a wild animal would become a man-eater.

Also, people should consider that these places where most of tiger attacks and human killings happen are in remote, secluded areas where humans are populated at the center of regions where the density of tiger populations are high. Animals that have not learned to fear and avoid people are prone to attack, but more because of defensive than predatorial reasons - for example, Arctic wolves that live in the High Arctic regions probably do not ever encounter humans. Most predators have learned to avoid human presence, including wolves, lynxes, bears, mountain lions, wolverines. Tigers in South Asia and Russian Far East do not live in close proximity with people and when they come across with humans, they show no fear because they have not learned to fear our scent and the noises we make. And when humans begin to provoke animals that do not fear us, it can lead to wildlife attacks.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:38 pm

Tiger do not eat man as part of their natural diet, they may kill humans but not intentionly.
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Aspine wrote:Tiger do not eat man as part of their natural diet, they may kill humans but not intentionly.
Tigers can and have hunted and eaten humans "intentionally". Man-eating tigers are not the fictional creation of superstitious villagers or enthusiastic tiger hunters, they have existed, and were very much the real thing.

I suggest you read what I wrote above on man-eater tigers, it might clarify some things for you. ;)
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:27 pm

-moving to Mammals-

I'm also going to change the title so it is more generic^^

Nina Istatkov
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: General Tiger Discussion

Post by Nina Istatkov » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:58 am

I have watched a documentary about tigers and the humans were refer to them as if they were objects and not living beings. :x

Starforest
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: General Tiger Discussion

Post by Starforest » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:14 pm

I love tigers. All cats are my absolute favorite animals in the world. My favorites species would be...all of them! I can decide...they're so majestic and amazing that they simply cannot be compared to any other animal in the universe.
Hello, everyone! :3 I'm baaaack!

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”