Fishing and Fish topics.

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Fishing and Fish topics.

Post by pawnee » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:19 pm

Favourite Fish (to see, catch, etc, etc)? where and if you clean your fish to eat or just let it go.

I went electrofishing at school and you get something like a battery strapped to your back go into the stream or river. It was fun. The fish go belly up from the pulse but their not hurt, just stunned. Then you measure and weigh them, see the species and let them go. In all we caught

Yellow bottom feeding fish ( censored word makes it funny....)
Creek Chub
Brook Stickleback

ummm...hmm can't remember the rest...but one brook stickleback had a tumour on its stomach which was kind of nasty.
I also had to dissect a fish once...not nice smelling.

My favourite 'fish' is
Carcharodon carcharias
or the great white shark. So under appreciated by society its sad.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Hiedidog

Re: Fishing and Fish topics.

Post by Hiedidog » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Nice! That sounds fun!

I have a lifetime fishing license, but I've never actually gone fishing...
My favorite fish would have to be a salmon. Not sure which kind of salmon though... Just salmon in general. I like the journey they make and their color. (And not to mention that they taste good. :|)
♥Kamisha♥

October 2009 Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:55 pm

I go deep sea fishing like two to three times a year, favorite fish to catch would deffintely have to be the a close tie between the Dorado (Mahi-Mahi) and blue marlin. The biggest fish I ever caught was a 200 pound blue marlin. And my favorite fish is the whale shark, just the thought that it's so big and so gentle makes me love it XD
Electrofishing sounds like so much fun though!
Last edited by shadowwolf2234 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hiedidog

Post by Hiedidog » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:27 pm

Awesome, Darkness! I like Mahi-Mahi, too.
They even use it in sushi.
♥Kamisha♥

October 2009 Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month

Shad
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Shad » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:31 am

shadowwolf2234 wrote:I go deep sea fishing like two to three times a year, favorite fish to catch would deffintely have to be the a close tie between the Dorado (Mahi-Mahi) and blue marlin. The biggest fish I ever caught was a 200 pound blue marlin. And my favorite fish is the whale shark, just the thought that it's so big and so gentle makes me love it XD
Electrofishing sounds like so much fun though!
thats so cool! I am fishing sometimes, but really very rare and, cause I live in Russia we catch mostly river's fish :D
If everyone cared and nobody cried
If everyone loved and nobody lied
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.

Join Moonlight Mist Wolf Pack!http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24015

Culpeo
Pup
Pup

Post by Culpeo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:41 pm

I haven't gone fishing since a while back when I was close to 8 years of age. I went with my best friend and this was my first time trying to cast a line. Of course the first try, I get the hook in my shoulder THAT had a worm on it v_v Talk about not fun! But on the plus side, I caught three sunfish rather than my friend and her father who caught none =)
Awesome avatar by SnowRules!

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:28 am

a marlin :shock: those things are giants! wow. can't say I could pull something like that in.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Swoofzilla
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Swoofzilla » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:52 pm

I fished once, when I was little. We don't have any good spots, and people treat it cruley. Me and my friend found an almost dead small mouthed bass in a creek bed. The water was an inch high, and it had a hook through it's gill. I like fishing to observe the fishing, but unless your a liscensed fisherman, I don't think there's a need to kill them.

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Fishing is one of my favorite things I do in summer. Though like a sport and not for eating the fish. Sorry I can't post more than this, but I don't know the name of he fished I catch in english, just in spanish.

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:07 pm

I've never heard of electofishing, but wow, that sounds like a lot of fun! :D
I love fishing, my dad is going to take me salmon fishing sometime this summer. Deep sea fishing for Atlantic Cod has to be my favorite, though. It's a lot of fun, you can get really nice sized Cod on sometimes. I'm actually allergic to fish, but I do enjoy catching them, lol. Having a nice day on the water is really relaxing as well =)
This account is no longer active.

New account: Sheeba Wolf

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:44 am

I like fishies. Not to fish but to view them =]

RunningFreeWolves
Pup
Pup
Location: In the world of Makili, with magical invisible beavers

Post by RunningFreeWolves » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:48 am

I fish a lot with my father, he caught a 46 inch striped bass on his last trip to New Hampshire. He went to Pourtsmouth and said it was really nice there. The backyards don't even have fences the community is so reduced to harmful people.

Recently we went to a River Delta, near Sacramento,CA. We caught 40 nice small mouth bass and large mouth bass. We are going to our cabin, where you can catch some small brook trout and rainbow trout, more commonly of the two is the rainbow. They're pretty small, but a nice catch up there. Behind my cabin I caught a foot long wild fish. Usually those sizes are planted fish. The way to tell the difference is if their back two small fins are warn away on their lower underbelly.

We are also going to go to the Sacramento River,CA in hope to catch some pretty nice sized striped bass. Also, we might try and go where my dad used to take me fishing when I was two. I don't know the name of the river, but it is full of rainbow trout, and it was cut off to the public when I was young. So it was secretive that you could fish it, and there were more fish. Now that it has been fished a lot more, there are less fish and they opened a private club that you can join for $1000 - $1500 a year to fish a nicer spot on the river with more fish. So that's a plus.

Great topic :wink: it fits me perfectly.
Last edited by RunningFreeWolves on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm living with the wind
Gliding with the stars
Leerai. 'Tis simple as that.

Avvie (c) meh! chicken.

My story:

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=24924 - The Solemn Swear

Always and forever...

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:48 pm

RunningFreeWolves wrote:I fish a lot with my father, he caught a 46 inch striped bass on his last trip to New Hampshire. He went to Pourtsmouth and said it was really nice there. The backyards don't even have fences the community is so reduced to harmful people.

Recently we went to a River Delta, near Sacramento,CA. We caught 40 nice small mouth bass and large mouth bass. We are going to our cabin, where you can catch some small brook trout and rainbow trout, more commonly of the two is the rainbow. They're pretty small, but a nice catch up there. Behind my cabin I caught a foot long wild fish. Usually those sizes are planted fish. The way to tell the difference is if their back two small fins are warn away on their lower underbelly.

We are also going to go to the Sacramento River,CA in hope to catch some pretty nice sized striped bass. Also, we might try and go where my dad used to take me fishing when I was two. I don't know the name of the river, but it is full of rainbow trout, and it was cut off to the public when I was young. So it was secretive that you could fish it, and there were more fish. Now that it has been fished a lot more, there are less fish and they opened a private club that you can join for $100 - $150 a year to fish a nicer spot on the river with more fish. So that's a plus.

Great topic :wink: it fits me perfectly.
That's really interesing, thanks for sharing that! I've always loved fishing, it's been one of the things I really enjoy since I was very small. Here in Newfoundland is the same when you talk about the community having no fences. We have a very low crime rate here, especially in the town where I live. It would be different seeing fences everywhere, lol.

In two hours (it's 3:00 in the morning now XD I did get sleep though, I just can't sleep anymore), I will be heading off down to a place called Hardy's Cove, and going deep sea fishing with my dad, uncle and pop. We're mainly going to fish for Atlantic Cod, but sometimes a Mackerel, or Flat Fish will get on the line. It's very beautiful down there, the scenery is just absolutely amazing. There are big cliffs and hills, and you often see eagles flying around. Once we watched an eagle and a seagull fight for the scraps we left from our fish after cleaning them. It was awesome, I've never seen anything like it. Regardless to say, the eagle won, lol.

My pop's friend owns a cabin down there. He's the guy who's lending us the boat, lol. A few years ago we stayed there for a couple of days. We got up very early every morning to go off in the water, and come back around sunset. There is always tons of Cod there, and a nice few large sized ones too. They're awfully hard to reel up sometimes XD
This account is no longer active.

New account: Sheeba Wolf

RunningFreeWolves
Pup
Pup
Location: In the world of Makili, with magical invisible beavers

Post by RunningFreeWolves » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Thats interesting Sheeba. Cod is good, I mean it is used in almost EVERY fish and chips :mrgreen: Me and my dad usually just catch and release, 'cause bass isn't the most tasty. (Really fishy taste!!!) We usually catch good amounts, we often leave the house at 4:00 A.M. He has a boat, and that's what we use every time.

My dad used to be a fishing guide, when I was just a baby :D We still fish a lot, I'm more into fishing than shopping by a country mile. We all fish, but my mom usually stays behind (actually most of the time XD) and we hook some good sized fish. Even though they may be only a few pounds, those little guys can put up a nice fight, but bigger doesn't hurt. We caught some toads from the trip to the Delta, they were a good size for down there. Maybe only two to three pounds, but those guys pump up the reeling. If it were a marlin or a bass, both the same size, I'd say that the bass would be a tougher challenge, both to reel in and to pull up onto the surface AND boat.

This is kind of random, but it has to do with fish. I've seen five hundred pound fish kill themselves. All of that growing, and they kill themselves. It happened when a fisherman on TV brought a Goliath Grouper onto the boat, and it veered up and slapped down it's head, and blood coated the floor. With one smack it killed itself with the blow to the head. Classic, lol. Though it was sad, it was kind of weird to see one just go "Goodbye World!!!!!!!" and just plain out die. I hope I don't catch one when I'm older and have it do that :?
I'm living with the wind
Gliding with the stars
Leerai. 'Tis simple as that.

Avvie (c) meh! chicken.

My story:

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=24924 - The Solemn Swear

Always and forever...

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:06 pm

My favorite fish must be the Snook. =D We were doing a project on fish and I happened to pick up this card. It had a snook on it, the name appeared funny and so it instantly became my favorite. I know little about them, however.

I also enjoy fishing as well. We were on vacation and we caught a couple of fish, and then we caught an eel that then caused some screaming :D (no, it wasn't the moray, it just seemed scary to the others, but not to me. =D)
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”