Favorite Breed of Bird/General Bird Discussion

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Sobakka

Re: Favorite Breed of Bird/General Bird Discussion

Post by Sobakka » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:35 pm

I love the red hawks, blue herons, and cardinals we have around here.

Jupiter Giveth and Jupiter Taketh Away
Praise Jupiter!
Quote/Av Shop

Fireclawiswoot
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Fireclawiswoot » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:52 pm

I *love* Corvids. Jays, crows, ravens, grackles,Jackdaws etc. They're such smart and personable little birds.

I also love, love, love European starlings, despite the fact that people here in the states see them as pests. They're amazing birds, and, because they're an invasive species, if you find babies, you are not only allowed to raise them, but you can keep and sell them as pets. In fact, if you *ever* find a baby starling, raise it yourself, do not take it to a rehab unless it's a private one, because state sanctioned rehabs are required by law to destroy starlings and house sparrows.

I've had two starlings, the first one I found as a tiny pink baby on my girlfriends porch, I raised him and he lived to be about 5 years old. His name was Kenya. The 2nd I found about two years ago in a store parkinglot after a big storm, he'd been washed out of his nest and was barely alive when I found him. I named him Hiccup. Unfortunately, I only had him for a couple months, one day I accidentally left my window cracked open and he flew out, I was never able to get him back and he eventually disappeared. I miss him terribly :cry: .

Jadeseeker
Pup
Pup

Post by Jadeseeker » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:06 pm

My favorite bird is the Budgerigar (budgie). I love them so much I am considering getting one as a pet.

:mrgreen: BrigganFourFallen :mrgreen:
Last edited by Jadeseeker on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:27 am, edited 6 times in total.

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:06 am

That's cool that you all bring up European Starlings. It's true, I worked at a bird rehabilitation center for a bit and yes, we had to put down any starlings or House Sparrows that we received because they are non natives. Sometimes on a rare occasion, they would offer to give the starling to a volunteer if they wanted it.
European Starlings have caused some problems with natives, but you gotta admit that they are pretty. I love that kind of iridescence on birds.

War-thrush
Pup
Pup
Name: N00CLEAR

Post by War-thrush » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Anyone want to chat about birds?!
Good Morning
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do you wish me a ⓖⓞⓞⓓ morning,
or mean it is a good morning whether I want it ⓞⓡ not;
□ ⓞⓡ that you f e e l good [̲̅t̲̅][̲̅h̲̅][̲̅i̲̅][̲̅s̲̅] m o r n i n g; ■
or that itisa morning to be [̲̅g̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̲̅d̲̅] on?
□ ʇ n o q ɐ || u ʌ ǝ ɐ ɹ || n o ʎ ||ʇ ɐ ɥ ʍ ■
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxᵈᵉᵛᶦᵃᶰᵗᵃʳᵗxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Av/Sig ©Infinite/Kamaal

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:23 am

Well that's what this topic is for! =D

So here is a question for everyone- are there any kind of birds that you would like to see in person? I personally would like to see some more owls in the wild. I've seen plenty at zoos and sanctuaries, but I would like to actually spot a wild one. I've only ever seen a Barred Owl and heard a Great Horned Owl.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:49 am

Kivia wrote:So here is a question for everyone- are there any kind of birds that you would like to see in person? I personally would like to see some more owls in the wild. I've seen plenty at zoos and sanctuaries, but I would like to actually spot a wild one. I've only ever seen a Barred Owl and heard a Great Horned Owl.
Any birds of prey tbh. Especially all the owls I can hear at night at this house. Not sure what they are exactly (though one of them's definitely another Great Horned Owl like the one that visited occasionally before we moved) but there are a few of them that can be heard pretty frequently at night if it's quiet enough.
I've seen hawks and possibly a couple eagles flying around before, but always too far away (and flying further away) to actually get a good look of them.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:50 am

More parrots, especially C.ockatoos. Every species of C.ockatoo ever.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:59 pm

ALL THE C.OCKATOOS. Definitely need to go out towards Australia for that then, haha. C.ockatoos are mostly around there, yes?
Katserin Kynsi wrote:
Any birds of prey tbh. Especially all the owls I can hear at night at this house. Not sure what they are exactly (though one of them's definitely another Great Horned Owl like the one that visited occasionally before we moved) but there are a few of them that can be heard pretty frequently at night if it's quiet enough.
I've seen hawks and possibly a couple eagles flying around before, but always too far away (and flying further away) to actually get a good look of them.
Raptors, especially hawks, can be some of the most difficult birds to identify. A lot of times you see them in flight, so it makes it doubly as difficult to identify. =/ I've been trying to get better with my hawks when I can.
And with owls, most owls are pretty distinctive in their calls, though it would depend on where you live at. The most common ones (at least in the states) are Great Horned Owls and Barred Owls, and mayyybe Eastern Screeches. But like I said, depends on where you're at. Those are most common where I'm at on the east coast.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking the others might be Barred Owls since they're common and we are within their range (northern Illinois still, not far from where we used to live really). Next time I hear them I'm going to try and identify them by listening to call samples and comparing them to what the owls here sound like. I'd do that now but there's a much higher chance of getting it wrong if I don't remember exactly what it sounds like, which I don't.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:16 pm

With Barred Owls, the old saying goes "Who cooks for you, who cooks for y'aaaall?". That's what people say their normal call sounds like, haha. They have some other calls that kinda go "hoo-wah hoo-wah hoo-wah hoo-wah hoo-waaaah". They tend to be much more talkative than most other owls, which is why I love them.

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:37 pm

Yeah, I really do want to go to Australia and Indonesia, especially the Moluccas to see my all time favorite animal, the Moluccan C.ockatoo! I'd also get to see Umbrellas, which my boy is, and Goffins! Definitely on the bucket list.

I remember when we used to go the the creek, I would hear Barred Owl calls and call back. I miss doing that, I love their unique call.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:53 pm

Just looked up the Moluccan C.ockatoo- I have definitely seen those at a zoo somewhere before. The red-ish crest and yellow tinges on their wings and tail are stunning! Parrots in general are such interesting birds, and it was crazy when I saw some species in the wild for the first time in Peru. They are incredibly social birds, so it's no wonder that they tend to be so smart. =O

Jadeseeker
Pup
Pup

Post by Jadeseeker » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Kivia wrote: Sometimes on a rare occasion, they would offer to give the starling to a volunteer if they wanted it.
Give the starling to a volunteer as a pet or how?

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:40 am

As a pet. I personally never saw it happen when I worked there, but apparently in the past some people took them. I really don't think they really do that anymore to my knowledge. They tried to make it as clear as possible to the public that they can't take in non natives to avoid having to potentially put them down.

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”