Sea animals

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

What is your favorite sea animal?

Dolphins
38%
Whales
14%
Sea turtles
5%
Sting Rays
11%
Other
33%

Total votes: 101

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Sea animals

Post by Croix » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Silverness wrote:Eek, came across this thing in Endless Ocean 2...

http://underwateruniversity.files.wordp ... praya2.jpg

It's called the Giant Siphonophore or Praya Dubia... It's ~40m and lives really deep. Apparently it's a kind of plankton. It's scaring me a bit. xD
That would scare me as well! xD

DMJ99

Post by DMJ99 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:44 pm

^^haha, I run into scary things all the time in Endless Ocean. Especially in the first one, in the "Great Abyss". That goblin shark lurking amongst the whale bones was quite creepy.
I love dolphins. Their my favourite animal. :3 Never met one, but I want to. I want to go to Hawaii or Florida sometime to see one. ;D

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:23 pm

(Every time I'm exploring that area, I'll turn and that goblin shark will be right next to me! :P) Goblin sharks are funky looking creatures aren't they.
wolfman200789 wrote:
Mimzi959 wrote:
shadowwolf2234 wrote:They said that these pods of orcas might know about tonic immobility, and actually use that to help take the shark down, which is very impressive.

Speaking of dolphins, I think it's awesome that the U.S. Military is training bottle nose dolphins to mark mines. They're also training sea lions too.
That's so cool!! ^.^ :D
yes it is and the main dolphin and seal training happened dureing world war 2 i dont think they still use them though
Actually they still do. They're used in the war currently going on ;).
DMJ99 wrote:^^haha, I run into scary things all the time in Endless Ocean. Especially in the first one, in the "Great Abyss". That goblin shark lurking amongst the whale bones was quite creepy.
I love dolphins. Their my favourite animal. :3 Never met one, but I want to. I want to go to Hawaii or Florida sometime to see one. ;D
If you do, I don't recommend going to a swim with dolphin thing, usually they illegally harvest the calf's from their parents at sea, not rescued. Just go to a beach here you'll likely see them right off the beach, or closer! I think Seaworld is okay though

DMJ99

Post by DMJ99 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:01 pm

Indeed, goblin sharks are quite...peculiar... xD
Yeah, I know. I've heard that in "Swim with Dolphins" sort of things they treat the dolphins poorly...or so I've heard. One of the girls in my classes saw dolphins when she was a little kid, and it was just at a beach.
I've seen orcas and gone whale watching before. Though we just so a whale far off. Nothing special.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:39 am

Goblin sharks are definatly cool looking, I've gotta say. Interesting how a creature can resemble a 'goblin' so much. x3
I actually have grown to like them, originally I thought them to look quite ugly but now they're just really interesting.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:36 am

I find goblin sharks very scary, to be honest, bwahaha.

I never saw whales or dolphins in the wild, though I know there are some dolphins near the Dutch shores.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:39 am

I wouldn't want to run into one in the wild, even if they are interesting. Could be dangerous. xD

I haven't seen Dolphins in the wild either, nor quite a few ocean animals. They've all either been in captivity or on documentaries.

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:45 am

Silverness wrote:I find goblin sharks very scary, to be honest, bwahaha.

I never saw whales or dolphins in the wild, though I know there are some dolphins near the Dutch shores.
i have never seen whales or dolphins in the wild either to me goblin sharks are amazing if i could get up close to one it would be a like a dream come true i want to see every last animal for myself espiecally sea and maybe some day make a undersea discorvery of my very own or even a land animal discorvery would be incredible i hear so many things about were i live which is the state of washington theres said to be a local group of orcas and washington is a very good whale watching spot for humpbacks grey whales and dolphins theres said to be some pacific white sided dolphins also whast cool is the island of the coast that is actually part of canada and place caled victoria BC (british columbia) i paid a visit there once and on a certein dock there are a few hourbor seals that like to hang out near the docks and there a stand were you can get fish scraps to feed the seals which i got to do these two seals are very cool and seem friendly but i worrie if ever the got to comfoterble with people and they left the may be hunted or something but i believ there are laws about seal hunting there and the island is not to big of a population i dont think ohter than a few tourest in order to get to the island you have to take a ferry we were pasangers abourd the victoria clipper ferry in like 2008 or 2009 my sister got a tad sea sick but i was just fasanated i would not leave the back the boat the almost the whole crossing i was outside whatching the water beneath us just being completly fasanated and hopeing for a glipse of dolphin or something that would just be wonderful the glipse never came but i was still loveing the ocean view we found that a majority of the food places were seafood but of couse its legel stuff like salmon and clams that remind of summer 2010 we want to a beach with some freinds and found it letered with clams we dug holes searching for them and one was about the size of a hand we thought maybe some we could use to make clam chowder for my dad since he loved that but then we decided to throw them all back were they came from and its a good thing we did beceause on the way home we found a warning sign about redtide so yeah thats pretty much my main sea animal adventures at last what i can think of
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Croix » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:45 pm

Sharks can actually vomit up their own stomach to wash it out~ c:

Dark Rumour

Post by Dark Rumour » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:26 am

I love Sea Turtles! Sadly only five people voted for it so far, but I still love them! I went to some little small, Sea Turtle Reserve thing, and I got to feed disabled Sea Turtles! Also, baby sea turtles are adorable!

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:00 pm

I also love sea turtles, I find them very interesting creatures. =3
My favorites have to be the green sea turtle and the leatherback. I just love how interesting they look when they're swimming around. =P
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:23 pm

(Whoa wolfman - not to be rude but could you use punctation and capitalization? It makes things easier to read, especially when you write so much ^^;)

I really like turtles as well. The leatherback is really pretty. :3

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:01 pm

leatherbacks <3 I love those, along with painted back turtles and pancake turtles, which I don't know which is a sea turtle or not aside from the leatherbacks. xD

I love turtles though! and sea turtles too, they're very cute and very interesting creatures.

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Silverness wrote:(Whoa wolfman - not to be rude but could you use punctation and capitalization? It makes things easier to read, especially when you write so much ^^;)

I really like turtles as well. The leatherback is really pretty. :3
Sorry I'll try to use better punctuation.

Turtles are cool. I have never seen a sea turtle in the wild. I don't really have a favorite type of sea turtle
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by portia » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Turtles. <3

When I went to Borneo we visited Turtle Island and waited up on the beach until about 12-1am to watch a wild turtle come up and lay it's eggs, though the keepers there had to collect the eggs before she could cover them up for the conservation program. I also got to hold a newborn baby turtle and release onto the sand and watch it scurry towards the ocean and into the water for it's first time. It was amazing. :'D
________Ͽ.Լ ᴀ ᴅ ʏ || Լ ᴜ ᴄ ɪ ғ ᴇ ʀ Ͼ
__......._.http://nymah-rose.deviantart.com
____.───────────────────────
__________Is ɪᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛ
__________ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜɪs ᴋɪʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ?
____.───────────────────────
__._.______.___Av©Jewelz

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”