Sea animals

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

What is your favorite sea animal?

Dolphins
38%
Whales
14%
Sea turtles
5%
Sting Rays
11%
Other
33%

Total votes: 101

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Sea animals

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 am

portia wrote:Turtles. <3

When I went to Borneo we visited Turtle Island and waited up on the beach until about 12-1am to watch a wild turtle come up and lay it's eggs, though the keepers there had to collect the eggs before she could cover them up for the conservation program. I also got to hold a newborn baby turtle and release onto the sand and watch it scurry towards the ocean and into the water for it's first time. It was amazing. :'D
Woah, that's awesome!

When I went to the beach last, there was a dead, hawksbill. It's sad to see a dead sea turtle, since they're so endangered.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:44 am

That is awesome Port, you must be very lucky. :3
I'd love to hold a baby sea turtle, and the fact of them being endangered due to the amount of predators, or people who catch the baby turtles etc. Though I think that might have stopped now and people are helping them get to the ocean.

But, the cycle of life. x3
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by portia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:24 am

Yes, I am beyond lucky [not just for that, but for other things I have done that very few people will ever do] and am extremely grateful for every good fortune that has come my way.

I don't really have a favourite type of turtle, as I don't know enough about the different sub-species to know which I prefer... hmm... I'll have to look them up sometime when it's not 1:30am. c:
________Ͽ.Լ ᴀ ᴅ ʏ || Լ ᴜ ᴄ ɪ ғ ᴇ ʀ Ͼ
__......._.http://nymah-rose.deviantart.com
____.───────────────────────
__________Is ɪᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛ
__________ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜɪs ᴋɪʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ?
__._.______.___Av©Jewelz

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:59 pm

=O You're a very lucky ducky, Portia! I'd love to do something like that some time~
Favorite turtle? Even since I was little, I've always liked Leatherbacks. I just went online and saw that they were critically endangered though. =/ Reading more about it now...

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:51 pm

That must have been an amazing experience portia. :3
I personally have neevr seen a turtle up close besides in zoos or on TV. xD I find them pretty interesting to watch as they swim about.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:11 am

I have only seen turtles on TV, I agree with Alpha Female; I think the way they swim are interesting and amazing.
I like how animals swim, it's so rythimatic. :3

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:28 am

You are so lucky Portia, the experience must have been incredible, I'd love to do something like that one day :)

Unfortunately I once saw a a dead turtle washed up on a beach when I went to Italy - it was a really sad sight, and I think it was a Loggerhead turtle (although I cannot be sure). It's sad that so many of these creatures are endangered due to getting caught up in fishing gear.

My favourite sea turtle has to be either the Green sea turtle or the Leatherback.

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:12 pm

I've also got to release a baby turtle into the wild. When I went to Florida two years ago, they were having a Turtle Release program and people could sign up to join it. They brought baby turtles to the group that signed up, which me and my family were in, and gave each person around seven turtles to release into the ocean. (One at a time of course!) It was pretty neat.

I've had a lot of other experiences at the ocean. Many actually but there was one last year that was pretty neat. A herd of manatees were swimming very close to the shoreline and I mean REALLY close. You could see them very clearly. We took a few pictures, I should post them on here some time.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:28 am

I wish the shoreline here didn't have so many....people. It's basically all public beaches, though there are a few little places I know of where there a little to no people, one being where the horseshoe crabs like to come up on the beach. It smells awful, but there aren't any people~

I'll have to look into marine animal-related programs when I have some spare time; I know that there must be some in Delaware. =3
Atropine wrote:Unfortunately I once saw a a dead turtle washed up on a beach when I went to Italy - it was a really sad sight, and I think it was a Loggerhead turtle (although I cannot be sure). It's sad that so many of these creatures are endangered due to getting caught up in fishing gear.
D'= That's so sad...was the turtle caught in fishing gear, or did it die due to other reasons?
Always important to recycle and throw away any garbage out on beaches though~

portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by portia » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:37 am

I also recall there being some turtles in the water when I went snorkeling in Hawaii, though I didn't get very close to them.

The only other interesting marine expreience I've had is when I went whale watching in Canada and we saw a pod of orca and one came up about a meter from the boat [Just one of those orange, 12 seater ones] which was pretty cool. They were also doing a lot of jumping and splashing a little further away.

And our beaches aren't very wildlife filled either, Kiv. They may be some of the most beautiful beaches in the world but the most interesting things we get where I live are dolphins and seagulls. ^^"
________Ͽ.Լ ᴀ ᴅ ʏ || Լ ᴜ ᴄ ɪ ғ ᴇ ʀ Ͼ
__......._.http://nymah-rose.deviantart.com
__________Is ɪᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛ
__________ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜɪs ᴋɪʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ?
__._.______.___Av©Jewelz

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:57 am

Kivia wrote:I wish the shoreline here didn't have so many....people. It's basically all public beaches, though there are a few little places I know of where there a little to no people, one being where the horseshoe crabs like to come up on the beach. It smells awful, but there aren't any people~

I'll have to look into marine animal-related programs when I have some spare time; I know that there must be some in Delaware. =3
Atropine wrote:Unfortunately I once saw a a dead turtle washed up on a beach when I went to Italy - it was a really sad sight, and I think it was a Loggerhead turtle (although I cannot be sure). It's sad that so many of these creatures are endangered due to getting caught up in fishing gear.
D'= That's so sad...was the turtle caught in fishing gear, or did it die due to other reasons?
Always important to recycle and throw away any garbage out on beaches though~
I didn't look at it for very long but it did have some form of green netting tangled around it, so I'm pretty sure that it got caught in an old fishing net. D: I've heard that many old and disused fishing nets are sometimes thrown overboard and not disposed of properly in commercial fishing, which is really sad as it causes havoc for wildlife.

I live in the UK, so our wildlife isn't too exotic. ^^" The only really interesting thing on our beaches is the rock pools - you might find the odd crab or two.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:35 am

Atropine wrote:I live in the UK, so our wildlife isn't too exotic. ^^" The only really interesting thing on our beaches is the rock pools - you might find the odd crab or two.
I like Crabs, mostly fiddler crabs and king crabs, but I've never seen one in the wild in my life aside from in pictures. Even then, I rarely see pictures. So, I find that having crabs around your area would be pretty interesting. :3 Though, I find crabs pretty interesting creatures in general.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:36 am

Ohh, I like crabs... Horse shoe crabs are very interesting as well. They have blue blood~

(Not very contributive post... Should take a break from the computer I think...)

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:06 am

Silverness wrote:Ohh, I like crabs... Horse shoe crabs are very interesting as well. They have blue blood~

(Not very contributive post... Should take a break from the computer I think...)
Horse shoe crabs are also very interesting, though the blue blood sounds kinda gross.
The main reason I find crabs interesting is how they eat, and how they walk. They walk sideways, which I find really fascinating to be honest. And, from what I remember, don't crabs eat through a filter tube-like thing?

(I get like that when I'm half asleep, maybe splash some water on your face?)

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:47 pm

Zethra wrote:
Silverness wrote:Ohh, I like crabs... Horse shoe crabs are very interesting as well. They have blue blood~

Horse shoe crabs are also very interesting, though the blue blood sounds kinda gross.
The main reason I find crabs interesting is how they eat, and how they walk. They walk sideways, which I find really fascinating to be honest. And, from what I remember, don't crabs eat through a filter tube-like thing?

(I get like that when I'm half asleep, maybe splash some water on your face?)

Crabs are cool. I actually go to deception pass WA every year. The beach I go to is lettered with crabs. We actually go Crab searching and then let them go withen the day. The crab's we find are small but still range in size. Some are about the size of a your hand,others are only size of the tip of your finger. We also tend to see washed up lion's mane jellyfish. I actually wrote a topic on here once about that. The biggest jellyfish ever was a lion's mane jellyfish that was 120 feet in length! Thats way bigger than the largest blue whale that was 110 feet! Though the ones I see are a bit smaller but still big,ones I see are about the size of my head. From what I have read about them they thrive in cold water and the colder the water the bigger it gets. The largest ones are found high up in the freezing arctic waters.
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”