Sea animals

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

What is your favorite sea animal?

Dolphins
38
38%
Whales
14
14%
Sea turtles
5
5%
Sting Rays
11
11%
Other
33
33%
 
Total votes: 101

User avatar
Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 6112
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Name: Kali
Gender: Female
Location: Living the dream
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:10 pm

I find crabs pretty interesting creatures. I remember seeing some really small crabs run across the beach in Bahamas a while ago. I haven't really seen any of those larger crabs but it would be interesting to see one. ^^
I never knew horseshoe crabs had blue blood, that's really odd.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

Avatar (c) April
~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:23 pm
Gender: Female
Location: District 12
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by Atropine » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:29 pm

In the rock pools where I live I have found a lot of shore crabs which are quite common, however once or twice I've found velvet crabs, both of which were really big - I didn't dare pick them up since their pincers looked pretty scary :'D I never knew horseshoe crabs had blue blood, how strange x]
wolfman200789 wrote:Crabs are cool. I actually go to deception pass WA every year. The beach I go to is lettered with crabs. We actually go Crab searching and then let them go withen the day. The crab's we find are small but still range in size. Some are about the size of a your hand,others are only size of the tip of your finger. We also tend to see washed up lion's mane jellyfish. I actually wrote a topic on here once about that. The biggest jellyfish ever was a lion's mane jellyfish that was 120 feet in length! Thats way bigger than the largest blue whale that was 110 feet! Though the ones I see are a bit smaller but still big,ones I see are about the size of my head. From what I have read about them they thrive in cold water and the colder the water the bigger it gets. The largest ones are found high up in the freezing arctic waters.
I remember seeing loads of washed up jellyfish on my trip to Ireland one year - I don't know what had caused so many jellyfish to become washed up on the shore. I looked up some different types of jellyfish and I think they could have been moon jellyfish (aurelia aurita).
Avatar by Jewelz

User avatar
paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 4425
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by paperpaws » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:48 am

Brain works properly again.

Yeah, horseshoe crabs have blue blood, I saw it on television at some point (Could be Weird Creatures with the Nick Baker guy... Not sure.)

Their blood is blue because it contains copper, rather than iron. It's also used for modern medicine... I found a quite interesting article about that here.

http://www.essortment.com/horseshoe-cra ... 41662.html

It's neat how the blood could save the lifes of humans, but to me, it doesn't feel right to take multiple lifes in exchange for one. The article states that the population is decreasing due to over-harvesting, which is a real shame considering they've been surviving for so long already.
wyrd bið ful aræd
* inactive until further notice due to time and hardware limitations

User avatar
Zethra
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:07 pm
Gender: Male
Location: That's for me to know, and you to wonder about.

Re: Sea animals

Post by Zethra » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:01 am

Silverness wrote:Brain works properly again.

Their blood is blue because it contains copper, rather than iron. It's also used for modern medicine...
Good to hear that. xD

That's really interesting, about the fact of their blood holding copper can change the way the blood looks, from red to blue. It is also quite fascinating, that their blood has been used in medication (basically saving humans lives/curing them of illness).
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

User avatar
Quivira
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:39 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Vvardenfell
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by Quivira » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:53 am

Every time we go to Florida during the summer, we go crab hunting at night. It's pretty easy and fun, if you don't mind the hard pinches they give. We don't eat them though, just let them back out onto the beach. Can't wait to do it this year.

Also, when there was a storm when we went to Florida about two years ago, all these friendly, little crabs were washed ashore, along with tons of other sealife. The crabs would let you pick them up without them scrambling away, and all they would do was sit on your finger, and you could pet them and touch their claws without them moving. When you sat them down, all they would do was then eat nutrients out of the sand.


Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

User avatar
xSelene
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:42 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Fleeing.
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by xSelene » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:27 pm

I don't think I have ever really seen a crab personally. I have however been pinched several times by them, sadly both on the same vacation. My aunt and I like to go looking for shells along the beach so I suppose it wasn't too big of a surprise that I may run into one.

I forget the names of the little creatures, I think they were a type of shrimp or something. [ My cousin was telling me about them. ] When the tide went out we'd go looking for little holes in the sand and dig out these little shrimp like things. I wish I could remember their names. I found it quite interesting even though seeing all the holes in the sand gave me the chills. ^^"
Last edited by xSelene on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xSelene / Proud Community Member
--- selene-x.deviantart.com
--- icon : Mute

If Only Time Flew Like A Dove ;

User avatar
wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:53 am
Gender: Male
Location: WA,USA
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by wolfman200789 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Redsky wrote:Every time we go to Florida during the summer, we go crab hunting at night. It's pretty easy and fun, if you don't mind the hard pinches they give. We don't eat them though, just let them back out onto the beach. Can't wait to do it this year.

Also, when there was a storm when we went to Florida about two years ago, all these friendly, little crabs were washed ashore, along with tons of other sealife. The crabs would let you pick them up without them scrambling away, and all they would do was sit on your finger, and you could pet them and touch their claws without them moving. When you sat them down, all they would do was then eat nutrients out of the sand.

What you held I think is called a fiddler crab(this is just a guess by your discription). Its a small crab that inhabits places like flordia. Though I cant remember clearly if they live in flordia or not, I think they do. If you got a close up view of a fiddler crab,you would notice one claw is enormous compared to the other. Thing is only males have these large claws. The one claw is often used in disputes over females. Its like a crab version of an arm wrestling match,just to show off for the female. This kind of thing is commen in nature. even large elephent seals do this. The main reason their noses are like that is also to show off for the females. The males battle useing there elephent like noses along with their teeth. The winner gets a whole herd of females. Both females and children benafett from this aimal behaviar. Only the stongest and fittest of males will succsessfully be able to raise protect and care for their offspring. So this animal behavior has a good reason for happening. The fiddler crab is one of them. They use there oversized claw to do so.
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

User avatar
Quivira
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:39 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Vvardenfell
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by Quivira » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:59 am

wolfman200789 wrote:
Redsky wrote:Every time we go to Florida during the summer, we go crab hunting at night. It's pretty easy and fun, if you don't mind the hard pinches they give. We don't eat them though, just let them back out onto the beach. Can't wait to do it this year.

Also, when there was a storm when we went to Florida about two years ago, all these friendly, little crabs were washed ashore, along with tons of other sealife. The crabs would let you pick them up without them scrambling away, and all they would do was sit on your finger, and you could pet them and touch their claws without them moving. When you sat them down, all they would do was then eat nutrients out of the sand.

What you held I think is called a fiddler crab(this is just a guess by your discription). Its a small crab that inhabits places like flordia. Though I cant remember clearly if they live in flordia or not, I think they do. If you got a close up view of a fiddler crab,you would notice one claw is enormous compared to the other. Thing is only males have these large claws. The one claw is often used in disputes over females. Its like a crab version of an arm wrestling match,just to show off for the female. This kind of thing is commen in nature. even large elephent seals do this. The main reason their noses are like that is also to show off for the females. The males battle useing there elephent like noses along with their teeth. The winner gets a whole herd of females. Both females and children benafett from this aimal behaviar. Only the stongest and fittest of males will succsessfully be able to raise protect and care for their offspring. So this animal behavior has a good reason for happening. The fiddler crab is one of them. They use there oversized claw to do so.
Nope, not a fiddler crab. I know what those are. I saw a few of them on a dock. And yes, I know that one claw is larger than the other and so on. But nope, wasn't one of them. I'm pretty animal-smart, so I would have known if it was one of them.

This kind was a dark brown and it was covered in algae. Still trying to find out what kind it was.


Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

User avatar
wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:53 am
Gender: Male
Location: WA,USA
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by wolfman200789 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:53 pm

Redsky wrote:
wolfman200789 wrote:
Redsky wrote:Every time we go to Florida during the summer, we go crab hunting at night. It's pretty easy and fun, if you don't mind the hard pinches they give. We don't eat them though, just let them back out onto the beach. Can't wait to do it this year.

Also, when there was a storm when we went to Florida about two years ago, all these friendly, little crabs were washed ashore, along with tons of other sealife. The crabs would let you pick them up without them scrambling away, and all they would do was sit on your finger, and you could pet them and touch their claws without them moving. When you sat them down, all they would do was then eat nutrients out of the sand.

What you held I think is called a fiddler crab(this is just a guess by your discription). Its a small crab that inhabits places like flordia. Though I cant remember clearly if they live in flordia or not, I think they do. If you got a close up view of a fiddler crab,you would notice one claw is enormous compared to the other. Thing is only males have these large claws. The one claw is often used in disputes over females. Its like a crab version of an arm wrestling match,just to show off for the female. This kind of thing is commen in nature. even large elephent seals do this. The main reason their noses are like that is also to show off for the females. The males battle useing there elephent like noses along with their teeth. The winner gets a whole herd of females. Both females and children benafett from this aimal behaviar. Only the stongest and fittest of males will succsessfully be able to raise protect and care for their offspring. So this animal behavior has a good reason for happening. The fiddler crab is one of them. They use there oversized claw to do so.
Nope, not a fiddler crab. I know what those are. I saw a few of them on a dock. And yes, I know that one claw is larger than the other and so on. But nope, wasn't one of them. I'm pretty animal-smart, so I would have known if it was one of them.

This kind was a dark brown and it was covered in algae. Still trying to find out what kind it was.
I suspected that it was not. That was just a guess from the info you said. Dark brown huh... I think I have heard the name before but im not positive.
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

User avatar
Quivira
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:39 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Vvardenfell
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by Quivira » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:16 pm

There are plenty of dark brown crabs out there, it'll be hard to find the exact species.

Anyways, other sea animals I like are the deep-dwelling ones, like the anglerfish, viperfish, and all those guys. I love the bioluninescent features some of them have. The jellies down there are also pretty unique and beautiful.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D-Hg ... lyfish.png


Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

User avatar
NightlyH
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:24 pm
Gender: Agender
Location: Inside a computer generated world
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by NightlyH » Sat May 28, 2011 6:56 pm

My favorite sea animal and the weirdest animal in life is the Blobfish

Weird things they are
Creator of Return of the Pack project
http://moca.games/

User avatar
Quivira
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:39 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Vvardenfell
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by Quivira » Sun May 29, 2011 12:24 pm

The Blobfish is pretty unique, though I honestly find it quite ugly. XD I read something interesting though and learned that the Blobfish is facing extinction now because of deep-sea fishing.


Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

User avatar
NightlyH
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:24 pm
Gender: Agender
Location: Inside a computer generated world
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by NightlyH » Sun May 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Redsky wrote:The Blobfish is pretty unique, though I honestly find it quite ugly. XD I read something interesting though and learned that the Blobfish is facing extinction now because of deep-sea fishing.
Aww, well that stinks :(
I hope that they dont become extinct since they are unlike anything else!
Creator of Return of the Pack project
http://moca.games/

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:45 pm
Gender: Female
Location: scrawling love into trees

Re: Sea animals

Post by Thandi » Sun May 29, 2011 8:09 pm

This pole doesn't prove much justice to the true amount of sea life there is out there, perhaps you could change it to 'classes' instead? Like crustaceans and such.
Anyways, my favorite sea animal is a jellyfish; I especially like to watch them in aquariums. (: But, I also like sunfish.
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

User avatar
wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:53 am
Gender: Male
Location: WA,USA
Contact:

Re: Sea animals

Post by wolfman200789 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Thandi wrote:This pole doesn't prove much justice to the true amount of sea life there is out there, perhaps you could change it to 'classes' instead? Like crustaceans and such.
Anyways, my favorite sea animal is a jellyfish; I especially like to watch them in aquariums. (: But, I also like sunfish.
jellyfish are cool. I see tons washed up on the beach on vacation to deception pass Washington. last year after some research on them when I got home just after seeing them on the trip I found out what they were. Its a type called a lions mane jellyfish. these ones perfer cold waters and get huge. the colder the water the larger they get. I heard of one found in the artic waters of the far north that was 120 feet long! that 10 feet longer than the largest blue whale on record. I wrote a topic on here about this experince before ill share the link.

http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=45923
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

Post Reply

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”