Sea animals

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

What is your favorite sea animal?

Dolphins
38%
Whales
14%
Sea turtles
5%
Sting Rays
11%
Other
33%

Total votes: 101

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Sea animals

Post by wolfman200789 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:43 pm

Vira Mote wrote:
Riahbeth2 wrote:I love dolphins! :]

First of all, they are just plain cute! :3 They are very playful and curious animals!

Here's a video to show just how amazing these intelligent creatures are!

Same. And im afraid of the sharks.

Then I do not think you would want to have my mothers experience. When my mom was a little girl my grandpa took her fishing on boat. She was a little girl she caught a huge shark and thought it was a fish. She got so upset because people were going to humanly wack her fish. (they even do this now. with a little tool when you want to take your catch home for dinner you wack it in the head to one time swiftly this kills the brain whitch kills the fish and avoids having it die slowly and painfully. I'm not completly sure of the corrrect way to do this though i think this is how it works.)She was so upset that the fish was going to die and so my grandpa said to her "thats not a fish Thats a shark" Another crazy sea animal experience is something my granpa did when he went scuba diving. He had been down there an awfull long time and his family was getting worried. Then after a while he came up with a huge giant pacific octopus wrapped around him head to toe. The giant octopus was than placed at my local zoo point defiance zoo and aquarium. The giant creature lived a long happy life and then died of old age.
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:04 pm

wolfman200789 wrote:
Vira Mote wrote:
Riahbeth2 wrote:I love dolphins! :]

First of all, they are just plain cute! :3 They are very playful and curious animals!

Here's a video to show just how amazing these intelligent creatures are!

Same. And im afraid of the sharks.

Then I do not think you would want to have my mothers experience. When my mom was a little girl my grandpa took her fishing on boat. She was a little girl she caught a huge shark and thought it was a fish. She got so upset because people were going to humanly wack her fish. (they even do this now. with a little tool when you want to take your catch home for dinner you wack it in the head to one time swiftly this kills the brain whitch kills the fish and avoids having it die slowly and painfully. I'm not completly sure of the corrrect way to do this though i think this is how it works.)She was so upset that the fish was going to die and so my grandpa said to her "thats not a fish Thats a shark" Another crazy sea animal experience is something my granpa did when he went scuba diving. He had been down there an awfull long time and his family was getting worried. Then after a while he came up with a huge giant pacific octopus wrapped around him head to toe. The giant octopus was than placed at my local zoo point defiance zoo and aquarium. The giant creature lived a long happy life and then died of old age.

wow, it appears your family has a lot of background with sea animals. I personally love sea creatures. My favorite is probably dolphins and whales. Sharks aren't bad although their eyes somewhat creep me out. ;)
The story you mentioned above with your grandpa and the octopus is actually very cool. ^^ Thanks for sharing that.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Call me crazy, but the Basking Shark is one of my favorite sea animals. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ugl3ZZaVUlk/T ... rk-216.jpg
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:25 am

Not crazy at all! I love those, they have some pretty odd yet amazing looks. Thanks for sharing, and reviving this thread... I missed the discussions on here! :D

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:56 pm

I love dolphins only because there wondetful creatures in my soul because there dont kill you actually they play with you and help you. Thanks for sharing
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:29 am

Heh, killing depends on the individual rather than the species. I believe dolphins can get pretty savage at times; they're wild animals after all. Most are pretty cheerful and pleasant, though :)

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:20 pm

There has never been a known dolphin attack where the dolphin didn't mean to kill the person or the person didn't provoke it first. Heck, there hasn't been any records of those, either, really.

Dolphins are playful at nature and only kill other creatures, some even like themselves (porpoises), for food competition and territory.

That's the only real savage stuff they do. Sure, they can attack humans, but not to the point of killing them. (They could, however, but dolphins are almost always cheerful at nature and wouldn't go that far.)
The personality traits moreso differ with each dolphin species than each individual dolphin themselves.

Speaking of dolphins, swimming with some this summer. Can't wait!

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:38 am

Never said I am aware of a lethal dolphin attack, just pointing out the risk is still there. I believe there are some records of captive dolphin attacks :p

Adding on to that, orcas are technically a species of dolphin. Those are known as well to have attacked humans before.

Speaking of orcas, those creatures are so pretty and interesting. They have such a massive range.

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:37 pm

And I never said you were. I was just pointing out that there hasn't been any known dolphin killing a human in captivity. Of course there has been attacks, I never said there hasn't been any attacks. There's been captive attacks for almost every species of animal.

And due to the above posts, we were most likely talking about bottlenose dolphins and the like, you know, the regular ones most people think of when someone says dolphin. Yeah, I was talking about those. And yes, they are known to attack people. They are also known to kill them, like what happens in SeaWorld on occasion.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:38 am

While on the subject, what's you guys' favourite dolphin species? I personally love Common dolphins and Dusky dolphins. Ooh, and Risso's dolphin.

I obviously can't pick one in particular once again. x.x

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:43 am

Since dolphins are basically my favorite animal, I can't pick just one. Though, the bottlenose dolphins have always had a special spot at the top for me; I've swum with them and I get to aain in a few weeks. I also like the common, spinner, and spotted. The Commerson's and Hector's are pretty cute, also. Fraser's probably have my most favorite markings. Dusky and Risso's are pretty neat to.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Sounds awesome, have fun swimming with them! I never heard of Fraser's Dolphin before, but those look really good.

Have dolphins gotten your preference over birds, Red? I never knew you liked them so much, interesting to know :D

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Dolphins are very cool. I like common dolphins and pacific white-finned dolphins...their names are something like that. :wink: Also, have fun swimming with dolphins, Red! I've always wants to do that. ^^
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”