Kangaroo in my horses paddock

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Lalioka
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Kangaroo in my horses paddock

Post by Lalioka » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:30 am

The other day I went to get my horse from the paddock and there eating my horse's hay was a kangaroo. Kangaroos are really common in Australia but having one in my horses paddock is just plain weird, usually they will jump away from such big animals. Anyway I went to get my horse ignoring the fact there was a kangaroo as I knew it would jump over the fence and go back into the bush, well I was wrong. It just kept eating the hay and eying me. My horse didn't care she's shared her paddock with cows, sheep, goats, a lizard and a mule. So I lead my horse out of the paddock only to have the kangaroo follow me and my horse. It ended up following us all way to the stables, which is a bit of a distance. Putting my horse in her stable, brushing her, mucking out and giving her more hay, this Kangaroo sat there watching me the whole time. Ok weird. I left my horse and the kangaroo which was still watching me as I left and rang the RSPCA (basically animal rehomeing and control) I find out it's an escaped kangaroo from the local wildlife park that was reported missing. One of the funniest days of my life.
Roaring of lions,
Howling of wolves,
Raging of the stormy sea,
are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man.

Proud Lead Hunter of the Night Guardians Pack
Proud Alpha Female of the Sky Runners Pack

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Kangaroo in my horses paddock

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Wow, very interesting! It must be very lucky for you to have seen one at such a short distance. I have never seen a Kangaroo, only on T.V. :wink:
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Lalioka wrote:The other day I went to get my horse from the paddock and there eating my horse's hay was a kangaroo. Kangaroos are really common in Australia but having one in my horses paddock is just plain weird, usually they will jump away from such big animals. Anyway I went to get my horse ignoring the fact there was a kangaroo as I knew it would jump over the fence and go back into the bush, well I was wrong. It just kept eating the hay and eying me. My horse didn't care she's shared her paddock with cows, sheep, goats, a lizard and a mule. So I lead my horse out of the paddock only to have the kangaroo follow me and my horse. It ended up following us all way to the stables, which is a bit of a distance. Putting my horse in her stable, brushing her, mucking out and giving her more hay, this Kangaroo sat there watching me the whole time. Ok weird. I left my horse and the kangaroo which was still watching me as I left and rang the RSPCA (basically animal rehomeing and control) I find out it's an escaped kangaroo from the local wildlife park that was reported missing. One of the funniest days of my life.

I can only imagine; is it nice to have an "escapee" following you all day? :)
Well, at least you found the guy, that's something to be proud of!

Sundance_Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sundance_Wolf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Wow, both you and your horse are brave. I would be screaming my head off if I walked outside and saw a kangaroo xD
Proud Alphess of the mighty Sinister Demise.
We carry only the most epic RPers, and have been around for a long time.
Contact me if you have any interest in joining.
-----
Green
Be
An
Epic
Color! :D
-----
Epical avatar by alphakasha!

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 am

Really? That is indeed uncommon and really interesting. Is the kangaroo still around your house? Maybe it decides to stay there with your horse and eat its hay.

Here is some information about kangaroos you should read if you are interested; http://www.australianwildlife.com.au/ka ... cialsystem

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:04 am

That's really cool, but be careful, kangaroos can be extremely dangerous, if I'm not mistaken they have sharp claws on their feet, not to mention extreme leg strength, but since you live in Australia I'm sure you know this ;)

Lalioka
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lalioka » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:07 am

Unfortunately the kangaroo had to be taken back to it's owners after 3 days and a vet check. lol I wish it could stay is it liked my horse and loves hay. It was weird having a Kangaroo following me all day, but their not uncommon (lol Australia is over populated with them) and it was actually really cute as I fed her apples and hay.
Still I'm happy it went back home, but I will never forget her. Her names Kira, found out she escaped during a small burn-off (burning bushland/grass to help stop the outbreak of fire during a bushfire) so she must of panicked and bolted to my horse's paddock. I miss her already :(
Roaring of lions,
Howling of wolves,
Raging of the stormy sea,
are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man.

Proud Lead Hunter of the Night Guardians Pack
Proud Alpha Female of the Sky Runners Pack

Morgrin
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Morgrin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:34 pm

Thats really cool. Im surprised it wasm't scared of you or your horse. And following you, thats a great exspirence on your part. :3
White Fire; Literate RPG Wolf Pack
http://joinwhitefire.wetpaint.com

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Wow, that's cute! How weird that it showed up at your house huh? Good thing you found the place where it belongs. :wink:
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl

wolfzrule555
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfzrule555 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:22 pm

aww, that is so cute good job you found it as it living the park all its life probably meant it didnt know how to live in the wild, hence it muching on your horses hay :) hope it got home to the park safely i wonder if itll bring some friends over some time :)
Just be your self
just be kind forgiving and understanding
And you will find who you truly are !
maybe some day we will all meet in that place our mother nature calls heaven ~prefix 103

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Ohh A kangaroo? I get them alot on my uncle's farm, they are pretty good tempered since they know my uncle and would let him pet them. They get along well with the sheep I think... (why the sheep?)
:mrgreen:
lucky you though, I've never seen a kangaroo in a horse barn :?
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

Rullien
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rullien » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:12 pm

WOW! I Can't imagine seeing a real, live kangaroo in my backyard! I live in the U.S. so it would be extremely uncommon and... well... awkward... (LOL!) :D

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:05 pm

I want to go to Australia xD

That's adorable that she followed you around =P
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:32 pm

lol, we saw some today, well two. They were following the sheep today :?
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Nightskydapple wrote:lol, we saw some today, well two. They were following the sheep today :?
I need to go to Australia xD
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans