What would happen if predator was friends with prey?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Boltt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

What would happen if predator was friends with prey?

Post by Boltt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am

Wolves and rabbits would be great partners! Both energetic and smart, the two can become the best of predator and prey friends. I even heard a sick lioness raised an orphan wilderbeast. They both had died, but it was a happy ending. Post what you think the best predator and prey friends would be and why. :D

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Re: What would happen if predator was friends with prey?

Post by Songdog » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Because predators need to eat to survive. Evolution and diversity is the result of competition between predator and prey; they cannot live in some mutual perfect ideal world. They need to eat to survive, and predators can't sustain themselves on grass. Their stomachs are not made to break down glucose.

Some animals do co-exist in a symbiotic state, such as sharks and Remora fish, or ants and aphids. But that is because they are specially adapted to coexist.

How would a wolf and a rabbit make great partners anyway? The rabbit has nothing to offer to the wolf aside from being eaten. Animals don't need "friendship", they need food.

This kind of behavior is extremely rare in the wild. In captivity, it is possible to have predator and prey animals interacting at young ages, but not in the wild. The case you are referring to was not of an orphaned wildebeest, but of an Oryx calf that the lioness stole from its mother. It only lasted 16 days. The calf was later eaten by a male lion, and the lioness went on to 'adopt' other oyrx calves, all of which are unsuccessful. Eventually, the lioness vanished, and has not been seen since.

That incident can be read about here:
http://www.lewa.org/oryx-lioness.php

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Post by wolf567 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:41 pm

This kind of discussion belongs in the Wildlife section. I will move it there for you.

[Topic Moved to Wildlife.]
Wolf567 / Blaze

Loua
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Loua » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Oh no!The big bad wolf is going to eat an innocent little bunny!Run!Run bunny!
Only Disney makes you believe those things...Anyway,I don't mind that tigers kill fawns and that wolves kill rabbits,it's how an ecosystem works,and that's the law.Wolves will kill to survive and at the same time keep healthy populations of herbivores.
But,maybe wolves and coyotes,but no.Wolves kill coyotes,coyotes kill pronghorn antelope fawns.With no wolves,there are too many coyotes,and pronghorn antelope population declines.
Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby
~Ruth E. Renkel

¿sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʞıן pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ƃuıuɹnʇ pɹıǝʍ ןɐǝɹ ʞooן noʎ ʍouʞ noʎ pıp

Birdwatching is AWESOME!!!!!

Avvie by Me!

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:35 am

I don't mind predator killing prey, i never have. Its just the way of life. Predators are designed to kill, and have the instinct hard-wired in their DNA. The most common way for predator and prey to become "friends" is through captivity. Even then, the partner-ship usually does not last very long, due to the predator eventually killing and consuming the prey animal.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:38 am

And yes, they need to eat to survive. Its a matter of the food-cycle.
by "Friends" you mean in rasing? or just plain friends?
Because there has been some foster parents..
Watch this..
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:53 pm

A re-call a female lioness a while ago taking care of a baby wildebeast or something xD

It came close to getting eaten by another lion but she saved him. But then one day one of the lions got him and he died. She was known to biologists to helping other wildebeast babies after that (she didn't steal them, they were abandoned or something xD
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:02 pm

Adalae wrote:A re-call a female lioness a while ago taking care of a baby wildebeast or something xD

It came close to getting eaten by another lion but she saved him. But then one day one of the lions got him and he died. She was known to biologists to helping other wildebeast babies after that (she didn't steal them, they were abandoned or something xD
It was a baby Thompson's Gazelle. The lioness ended up "adopting" six of them in her life, before she died. All of the poor things (except the one taken by lions) starved to death because they could not eat the meat the lioness was bringing them. Also, she did steal them when the parent was not looking. The parents were to afraid to confront the lion.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Moon mint
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Moon mint » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 am

Hmm...Well its possible predator and prey could become friends, i was watching a program and a leopard was caring after a little monkey. Sadly the monkey died though because it couldnt get proper care. Its in the animals DNA to hunt and kill, if they didnt Hunt their life would be in danger

- do not add religious content please -
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removing information
Loading Signature 99%...

Error!: Upload failed please try again

Cusack
Pup
Pup

Post by Cusack » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:15 pm

"What would happen if predator was friends with prey?"

You'd get funny pix like this more often:

http://failblog.org/2008/05/08/predatory-instinct-fail/

My aunt sent me a forward of a leopard being really nice to a mouse (ie- not eating it). It was just trying to push it away from it's food instead of chomping down on it. No idea why it was being so nice >_<

SamsprideX
Pup
Pup

Post by SamsprideX » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:33 am

SongDog is right... Predators do need to eat and the lioness was too weak so she probably didn't eat him lol
Proud Member of Las cuatro alianzas
Muggle :)
~Shade

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”