Insects and Other Bugs

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Your Favorite Insect

Butterfly
37%
Lady Bug
18%
Fly
No votes
Mosquito
No votes
Beetles
8%
Other
37%

Total votes: 49

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: Insects and Other Bugs

Post by jaguartail » Sun May 09, 2010 3:58 pm

soloreclipse wrote:There was this HUGE dragonfly on the tree in my yard! Here's a link:
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx14 ... ogy028.jpg
Just wondering, do they change color to match their surroundings?
i don't know for sure,but it's defintely possible

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm

That'd be cool if they could. And i wouldn't be surprised if they could. Animals are so cool! ^^
Why are you reading this? You just wasted 2 seconds of your life reading this!!!!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun May 09, 2010 11:35 pm

Bugs are interesting. I like beetles, especially the big colourful ones. Butterflies are nice too, it is beautiful when you see many at the same time ^^

Just as a note guys, spiders aren't actually bugs :3

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Mon May 10, 2010 7:32 pm

Yes, i know. They are Arachnids. Very interesting how many phylums there are.
Of course, butterflies, grasshoppers, centipedes, crabs, and spiders are all in the phylum Arthropoda. Cool. XD 8)
Why are you reading this? You just wasted 2 seconds of your life reading this!!!!

x-Riley-x
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by x-Riley-x » Mon May 10, 2010 9:21 pm

I'm not really a fan of insects or bugs, but if I had to choose one I'd have to say I love butterflies. They are such beautiful animals with their lovely colors and almost magical feeling. They are so peaceful.
soloreclipse wrote:There was this HUGE dragonfly on the tree in my yard! Here's a link:
Dragonflies? I don't believe they do.
I M A G I N E . D R A G O N S
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
--Now don't you understand.
'I'm never changing who I am.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue May 11, 2010 8:54 am

I also dislike bugs, but I have had a few "pet" bees hanging around my place during the summer. Turns out we had a beehive under our porche, which was taken out. (thank goodness)

Though now we have wasps around our houses... <_<
Darkspirit001 wrote:
Dragonflies? I don't believe they do.
Dragonflies don't change their colors to match suroundings, they're color is just one set. (I've seen them a lot around my place and they don't change colors)
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Tue May 11, 2010 3:42 pm

The most common butterfly i see around my house, are the Monarch and this Yellow Butterfly. It's wings are completely yellow - kind of a watered down lemonade color. Do you know what kind that is?

My two favorite butterflies are the Mountain Blue Butterfly (Papilio Ulysses) and the Queen Alexandra's Birdwing. The Queen Alexandra's Birdwing, is unfortunately, endangered and the rarest butterfly in the world. It's wing Span can be up to 11 1/2 inches!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed May 12, 2010 12:53 am

Birdwings are awesome.

The monarch butterfly was the first butterfly I saw in my life, haha. I was 3 or something and completely amazed by it and followed it all around the garden xD

x-Riley-x
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by x-Riley-x » Wed May 12, 2010 4:47 am

sSilvers wrote:Birdwings are awesome.

The monarch butterfly was the first butterfly I saw in my life, haha. I was 3 or something and completely amazed by it and followed it all around the garden xD
I believe that way the first butterfly I saw as well. ^^ Thoughs have to be my favorite <3 I love their soft orange color nad black markings on their wings.
I M A G I N E . D R A G O N S
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
--Now don't you understand.
'I'm never changing who I am.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Justine
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Justine » Wed May 12, 2010 8:29 am

Bugs are indeed very interesting, though some of them are too disgusting to sit and watch, hehe... xP But I do like butterflies (of course), beetles, spiders, even ants! xP I think butterflies are one of the bugs that are beautiful, haha! Spiders freak me out if I find them on my bed or anything, but it's interesting watching them in the garden, they are such awesome creatures with complicated bodies. And I just like to sit and watch ants carry food to their home! All bugs and insects are unique and interesting in my opinion. =)

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu May 13, 2010 4:05 am

Spiders are indeed interesting, and I don't mind them, as long as they don't go jumping around. I despise jumping spiders, especially big ones.

When it's summer, I like to watch ants working around in the garden as well. I believe they sometimes carry their wounded friends back to the nest - I tend to see ants carrying another one.

Justine
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Justine » Thu May 13, 2010 4:33 am

sSilvers wrote:Spiders are indeed interesting, and I don't mind them, as long as they don't go jumping around. I despise jumping spiders, especially big ones.

When it's summer, I like to watch ants working around in the garden as well. I believe they sometimes carry their wounded friends back to the nest - I tend to see ants carrying another one.
Yes I have seen ants carrying other ants, I wonder if they get them to their nest or they just eat them. O_O I have seen ants carrying anything, not just other insects, even small pieces of wood! =]

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Thu May 13, 2010 8:13 am

Ants are really cool, no doubt. But they can get annoying.
They are everywhere. They get in full boxes of cereal and cans of sugar, even when they are sealed of tight.
And one time i was walking, and an ant crawled on my foot! But the creepy thing was, it was a HUGE ant.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Mon May 17, 2010 10:00 am

Even though I don't really like them, ants are actually really amaising insects. I'll sometimes just look at an ant hill, watching them. Just as long as they are not coming near me, I'm fine with watching them. ^^
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Mon May 17, 2010 5:17 pm

The golden orb spider is cool. They had about 1 million of those at this museum, that were alive and wild! They were like two inches long and super awesome! XD
Picture:
http://www.digitalapoptosis.com/archive ... denOrb.jpg

Why do they call them Golden Orb? Not because of their yellow bodies. . . but the web the spin, is fine golden thread.

Creepy. . . but cool. 8)

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”