Insects and Other Bugs

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Your Favorite Insect

Butterfly
37%
Lady Bug
18%
Fly
No votes
Mosquito
No votes
Beetles
8%
Other
37%

Total votes: 49

x-Riley-x
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Re: Insects and Other Bugs

Post by x-Riley-x » Mon May 17, 2010 7:30 pm

DominoEagle wrote:Even though I don't really like them, ants are actually really amaising insects. I'll sometimes just look at an ant hill, watching them. Just as long as they are not coming near me, I'm fine with watching them. ^^
I for one could never do that kind of thing, Domino. Just seeing a bunch of ants crawling around gives me the creeps, let alone watching an ant hill. I'd be weirded out -- I've had to many problems with them.

Such as when my brother was told to pick up his toy train tracks. We did and whole bunch of ants came crawling out and began running everywhere. We were all stomping around spraying everything... it was like murder but I was to scared to do anything else. In face the sight of the ants running around made me feel sick to the stomache and I had to leave the room.
I M A G I N E . D R A G O N S
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
--Now don't you understand.
'I'm never changing who I am.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Wed May 19, 2010 8:20 am

I wouldn't be able to handle that one, I can watch an ant hill from a sertant distance away. Though if something was picked up, or it was in another object I would end up running away...

Such as one time, we where in a classroom. Someone ended up breaking an ant farm, and there where ants everywhere. (I ended up staying ontop of a desk untill the ants where cleaned out.

The other time.. I was on a feild trip, and when we went back to the "van" the teacher was driving the class in. There where red ant hill everywhere... no one could sit still on the ride back.

So that is why I don't really like ants, though if you look at a caterpiller... I love that one. x3
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed May 19, 2010 1:18 pm

Ants are okay, but I've had some bad experiences with them. Like one time when we were in France, we had muffins - when we went to get them they were infested with ants. Ants were crawling all over the surface and when I broke off a piece they were inside as well. Not good.

Also, in summer, they tend to infest our house, with a strange love for the trash bin.

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Wed May 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Okay, this was creepy. I was in our back yard today, and it had just stopped raining. And there were puddles everywhere. So I happened to look at one puddle, and the was a leech of some sort in there!!!! :shock: I immediately killed it, fearing it would latch on to me or my dog.

That was pretty weird though, seeing a leech! :shock:
Why are you reading this? You just wasted 2 seconds of your life reading this!!!!

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Thu May 20, 2010 8:56 am

A leach will not latch onto someone unless they are actually in the water with them. Though even when they latch on, it is still easy to get it off. All you need is a pinch of salt, sprinkle it on the leach and they will fall off.

Though I really don't think a leach is a bug...

sSilvers wrote:Ants are okay, but I've had some bad experiences with them. Like one time when we were in France, we had muffins - when we went to get them they were infested with ants. Ants were crawling all over the surface and when I broke off a piece they were inside as well. Not good.

Also, in summer, they tend to infest our house, with a strange love for the trash bin.
That would be creepy, I would not be able to live like that. Dx

I've had ants in my house before, they where big carpenter ants. We had to call some people to come in an take down the dying tree outside, because the ants where eating the tree and starting to break into the house.

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Tue May 25, 2010 1:27 pm

What ever a leech is, it was strange. :shock:
----
All those lopper grasshoppers that i mentioned earlier are now yellow and like three inches long! :shock: They are so cool. :D
Why are you reading this? You just wasted 2 seconds of your life reading this!!!!

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue May 25, 2010 1:57 pm

The Lopper Grasshopper does sound pretty cool, though I don't really think I wish to see one in real life. o.o

actually, my mom says that a leach is a bug, a type of weird water bug similar to a worm that is. Sorry. ^^"

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Tue May 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Loppers are cool. Jade (My dog) likes to chase them. They eat everything, though and can be annoying. Like last year, i was trying to grow a plant, and the next day, it had been chomped on by grasshoppers.

If it's a worm. . . thing, wouldn't it be the Nematoda Group? Hmm Confusing. LOL

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue May 25, 2010 2:25 pm

lol I'm not to sure. xD

I for some reason, like carpenter ants. They are amusing to watch, even though I wouldn't want an ant on me...
One time, they got into our house and they where huge! Haha, we grow big things where we live. ^^

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Tue May 25, 2010 2:43 pm

Justine
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Justine » Wed May 26, 2010 9:25 am

"YUK ..DAH BLEH! INSECT!!!"

Lol, this is how my friend would react! xP Very very interesting photos, Solor! =D I see many shades of yellow, orange and some very light green. But I must admit, its legs are a bit disgusting.. xP

I'm jealous of your nail polish!! :'D

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 am

XD They are Super easy to catch. And yes, the legs are a bit. . . Blah. But, other than that, they're cool! XD

(My nail polish is just read nail polish with sparkled painted on it!XD)

Justine
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Justine » Wed May 26, 2010 9:50 am

Haha, if they're super easy to catch, then I would love to catch one and give it to my friend as a birthday present. She will shout in joy... xD I'm kidding, it indeed seems very cool, and big! :'D

I can see that.. xP And I love it! ^^ <3

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Wed May 26, 2010 10:21 am

It's amazing how much they change in size. They go from like 3/4 and inch to like 3 inches! :shock: But, my favorite insect is still the butterfly!

I got it from Claire's Store. If you want some, there might be a Claire's in your mall. Since it is a Huge chain. But, nail polish is Way off topic. XD

Cusack
Pup
Pup

Post by Cusack » Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 am

Found a Junebug flying around in work Saturday. I was trying to catch it to put it outside when it divebombed the other girl there. She screamed and was grabbing at her head and such. I thought it was hilarious. Later on I found the buggie and gave it a free trip to the wall outside so it could go off and find food such out there.

I've never had a Junebug divebomb me, even though from what I've read online, it's rather common. Guess they like me too much to do that? Or maybe since they know I'm buds with the cicadas, they had better back off? :-p

I did have a co-worker tell me Junebugs weren't beetles. I looked at him like he had just missed the short bus. Not a beetle? Only people who can say that are blind people O_O

Still have not seen any cicadas lately, but I'm not sure how common they are this time of year. Don't remember seeing them at work until July or August, so I dunno. Hope to see some soon. My favorite bugs :)

Anyways, time to stop rambling :)

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”