Insects and Other Bugs

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Your Favorite Insect

Butterfly
37%
Lady Bug
18%
Fly
No votes
Mosquito
No votes
Beetles
8%
Other
37%

Total votes: 49

Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter

Re: Insects and Other Bugs

Post by Gargantor » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:23 am

lol
i like ladybugs the most.
They are the most useful insects you will find anywhere.
In my country you can find them everywhere. and people even breed them near their gardens lol
they try to capture them and put them somewhere safe. and when there is a great number of them, they let them free in the garden. :mrgreen:
We did it too, and our cherry tree isnt as sick anymore and there are more cherries on it now.
сøυɾαģε, αвøṿε αll τhïṉģṡ, ïṡ τhε ƒïɾṡτ συαlïτÿ øƒ α ώαɾɾïøɾ.

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:49 am

I haven't ever seen a fire fly either. Though i suppose it would be marvelous to watch a bunch of lights fly around your yard, catching them and watching them as they glide to and fro, waving their lights. . . lol

Mesquitoes annoy me! I wish i could crush every one of em!

Yes, ladybugs are quite beautiful. I saw an orange one, weird.
Why are you reading this? You just wasted 2 seconds of your life reading this!!!!

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:56 am

Ladybugs are good bugs, I like them even though I wouldn't like to go near them. The common ones are Red, which looks good. Then orange, is a more rare color, but I like them as well.
However there is supposedly something called a "biting ladybug" which is an orange ladybug with no spots... I'm unsure if this is true though.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:58 am

Iv'e never heard of a biting ladybug. Does is bite? or is that just a fun name?
Why are you reading this? You just wasted 2 seconds of your life reading this!!!!

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:15 am

I only heard it from my dad, supposedly it does bite. o.o Though I haven't seen one around, I think only once and that's it.

There is also two other things I remember he said called "fire ants" and "killer bees".
Fire ants are ants like red ants, but when they bite it feels like that area was set on fire.
"killer bees" are supposedly bees that attack in swarms.

Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter

Post by Gargantor » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:29 am

soloreclipse wrote:Iv'e never heard of a biting ladybug. Does is bite? or is that just a fun name?
Ladybugs dont bite. They innocently eat aphis.
That was most likely another type of insect.
сøυɾαģε, αвøṿε αll τhïṉģṡ, ïṡ τhε ƒïɾṡτ συαlïτÿ øƒ α ώαɾɾïøɾ.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:44 am

Grasshoppers hands down. Butterflies are great and all, but I find grasshoppers far more interesting.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:46 am

Grasshoppers are awesome and I somehow find them adorable.

Brings back memories of an the internet nickname "Grasshopper" I used to have for no reason xD

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:47 am

I've been fascinated by them for years and will remain so. We have a few different types roaming in our yard, so sometimes I'll go out there and try to catch them just to see what they look like, then let them go. (:
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:20 am

DominoEagle wrote:I only heard it from my dad, supposedly it does bite. o.o Though I haven't seen one around, I think only once and that's it.

There is also two other things I remember he said called "fire ants" and "killer bees".
Fire ants are ants like red ants, but when they bite it feels like that area was set on fire.
"killer bees" are supposedly bees that attack in swarms.
Yes, fire ants and killer bees are two bugs, where if you encounter them, it's dreadful.
Fire ants feel like you have a mixture of athlete's foot, and your foot is on fire. I've been bitten by one. O.e
Killer bees. They were imported. Lucky, lucky us. :| And if you swat at one, it will "call" the other bees and they will all attack you. The only way to get them off is to either pull them off, or go into a cold, air conditioned place. Since these bees are from a hot, African climate, they go into shock when they instantly hit cold. http://lemonodor.com/images/killer-bee-swarm.jpg

As for grasshoppers. . .

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 am

I think Killer bees have anger issues, no?
They seem like it, considering if one is threatened the entire hive comes after you in a swarm that would hurt like mad.

I think the "biting ladybug" was supposedly imported as well, through food compartments like other bugs ect.
Though the winter climate up here kills them off instantly in the winter.

Anyways, another thing that happened involving bees was we had a hive under our porch... so there would be bees jumping around outside our house.... it would be a pain trying to get out without being stung.

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:46 pm

LOL Yes, killer bees have major anger issues.

fluffeater
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by fluffeater » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:20 pm

I can't believe you guys have problems with arthropods, there my favourite group of animals.
All my life (As long as I can remember) I've kept and studied insects, spiders, centipedes, millapedes and evan once, I had a pet black rock scorpian! It was so cool, it spent most of its time sleeping and hiding, than at night it would come out and crawl around and look for food in its cage, it was the best!

Also I'm famous at my old school as a bug saver, when ever someone tried killing any athropod, I'd save it!
It was all fun and games until someone's eye came out, then it was fun and games you couldn't see.

I'm a young game developer, that's about my whole life, the end...

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:04 am

Once i saw a bug doing the back stroke. It was kind of cool. lOL

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:49 am

fluffeater wrote:I can't believe you guys have problems with arthropods, there my favourite group of animals.
All my life (As long as I can remember) I've kept and studied insects, spiders, centipedes, millapedes and evan once, I had a pet black rock scorpian! It was so cool, it spent most of its time sleeping and hiding, than at night it would come out and crawl around and look for food in its cage, it was the best!

Also I'm famous at my old school as a bug saver, when ever someone tried killing any athropod, I'd save it!
Techincally, I have a minor Phobia of them. I don't know why, I'm thinking something bad happened as a child that I obviously can't remember....
I absolutly am scared of them, however I don't usually dislike them... well not most of them... they can bit quite interseting.

I've seen a lot of catterpillers, and I catch them... mostly because the kids around my area like to try and 'destroy' the 'pesky plant eaters'. Though, I have yet to see them around lately... So this is starting to cause some worry, they are my favorite bug aside from Leaches.

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”