The Iberian Lynx

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

The Iberian Lynx

Post by Atropine » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:13 am

NOTE: Mods, if there is already a topic regarding lynxes, please lock this. I searched for a topic regarding this particular animal however I came across none.

The Iberian Lynx is one of the most endangered cat species in the world, with approximately 110 individuals as its population. Personally I find this animals beautiful and fascinating, and they are one of my all time favourite big cats. Here are a few pictures of the Iberian Lynx:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... nces19.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... inces1.jpg
http://uzar.files.wordpress.com/2008/11 ... n_lynx.jpg

Here is some information for those who are not too familiar with this animal:

Common Name: Iberian lynx, pardel lynx, Spanish lynx; Lynx d'Espagne (Fr); Lynx pardelle, lince ibérico (Sp)

Scientific Name: Lynx pardinus

Population: Around 110 individuals

Background
Having decreased steadily in population numbers over the last two centuries, the Iberian lynx may soon be the first cat species to become extinct for at least 2,000 years. The species is classified by the World Union for the Nature (IUCN) as the world's most endangered feline species. Habitat loss and degradation, as well as the disappearance of food resources (rabbits) are contributing to this declining trend. Today, there are no more than 38 breeding females in the wild.

There are only two confirmed small and isolated breeding populations, both in southern Spain, containing together around 100 individuals, and these will disappear unless significant changes occur.

Urgent action is needed. WWF is calling for the Spanish National Government and the Regional Government of Andalucia to implement the captive breeding programme as a matter of urgency, and work with others to ensure the protection and appropriate management of the habitat and prey conditions for the Iberian lynx.

WWF has contributed to Iberian lynx conservation through the creation and sponsorship of the Large Carnivore Initiative for Europe (LCIE), which has led to the development of an action plan for the Iberian lynx among other species. Since 1998, WWF/Spain is actively working for the conservation of the species.

Physical Description
The Iberian lynx is a relative species of the Eurasian lynx, the Canada lynx and the North American bobcat. It is approximately the same size as the Canada lynx but about half the size of the Eurasian lynx, which survives in central and eastern Europe.

Adult lynx live in territories of up to 20 km², which they scent-mark and defend from each other, although male and female territories may overlap. Territories relate to areas of habitat and rabbit supply, and can change over generations.

The Iberian lynx's status as a separate species from the Eurasian lynx has long been questioned, but fossil records, morphological and genetic evidence have clarified its position as Lynx pardinus. The Iberian lynx is heavily spotted and weighs about half as much as the Eurasian species, with long legs and a very short tail with a black tip. Its coat is tawny with dark spots and it bears a characteristic "beard" around its face and prominent black ear tufts.

Size
A female Iberian lynx may weigh up to 10 kg or 13 kg for males, and reach up to 88 cm (female) or 1 m (male) at adult stage.

Habitat
Biogeographic realm
Palearctic

Range States
Portugal, Spain

Geographical Location
Southern Europe

Ecological Region
Mediterranean Forests, Woodlands and Scrub

Why is this species important?
Iberian lynx displace and kill other carnivores - including foxes, Egyptian mongooses, and feral cats and dogs - to ensure sufficient supplies of rabbit populations and to protect their offspring. The loss of the Iberian lynx could result in an increase in the density of more common predators and a consequent decrease in rabbit populations.

Interesting Facts
A mother may carry its cubs between up to 12 homes, to avoid predation.
Source: http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/fi ... nlynx.html

I would love to get others opinions on this animal.

+Dyami Leotie+
Pup
Pup

Re: The Iberian Lynx

Post by +Dyami Leotie+ » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:33 pm

I saw a T.V. program on Animal Planet about an Iberian Lynx cub. It was called "Growing up Lynx". It showed the journey of a little female lynx cub as she matured from just a few weeks to a year old.

Great show, and I love lynxes. I have a soft spot for the Iberian Lynx. They're just so rare- and beautiful!
I am currently inactive :(

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:57 pm

They are lovely animals! Beautiful! It's sad when such a beautiful animal -- any animal species at all is close to extinction.
Why are you reading this? You just wasted 2 seconds of your life reading this!!!!

IasoLengend
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: In a secret island called your hair,that whoa!You have lice?

Post by IasoLengend » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:42 am

I love The Lynx! We were to do a like 5000 letter report on an animal,I showed Lynxes to my friend and she went crazy about them and decided to write the report so she started to research. Such beautiful cat. They remind me of wildcats though for some reason. But they look like domestic house cats a bit. :lol:
------- ~Iaso~
---------- Motto:
-------------The past isn't. The present is now. Future is a gift.
---------------- I'm a proud WQ member and player. I reply to all

Avvie (c) Lunalynn
~ Iaso

+Dyami Leotie+
Pup
Pup

Post by +Dyami Leotie+ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:34 pm

I'm glad a lot of people like Lynxes.
I am currently inactive :(

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”