The guinea pig

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

HeliaHuntress
Pup
Pup

The guinea pig

Post by HeliaHuntress » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi! Here I am going to babble about guinea pigs. Because they are awesome. First I will tell you about my guinea pigs. If you have some, feel free to post about it. later I will discuss their history, breeds, how to breed them, how to make them do tricks, their homeland, ect.

I started with one small cavy named Summer. I wanted a companion, and after reading about guinea pigs, they seemed perfect. And she was. I used to take her outside so she could munch on grass, and follow me all over the lawn Like a duckling follows it's mother.
After she died, I got Noel. She was older when I got her, and a little over weight. She was a mixed breed, a frizzle. Because of her many rosettes, I suspect she was part abasinian satin or abasinian. Later I got another, younger, frizzle to keep her company. Her name was Autaumn.
I was building a better hutch for the two of them when Noel died of heat stroke.
Years later, I got a male named Abraham, hoping to breed him with Autaum. But it did'nt work, and so I found Sarah. Soon they had 3 healthy female piglets, Molly, Mo-mo,and Racheal. Both Molly and Mo-mo now have piglets of their own, and one of Molly's babies, Twitch, has piglets.
I put the two together again, hoping for more babies. Soon enough, Sarah was heavily pregnant, and I moved her into her own cage to have her babies.
Meanwhile, Abraham got sick. I nursed him back to health, but only 2 days after his recovery, our neighbor's husky jumped the fence and got him. I don't blame the dog. He was just being a dog. Anyway, 3 days later Sarah had Laya, Aurora, Isaac, and a runt, Jacob.
Jacob got the croup at about a week old, and I had to hand-feed him for a while. He almost died, but made a full recoery and is now one of the biggest guinea pigs I know. No lie.
To replace Abraham, I got Ketaro, a silver agouti American. He had four piglets with Sarah and 3 with Mo-mo.
Over this summer I got to "pig sit" Isaac, Sarah and Abraham's first son. Sadly, not long after he arrived, Sarah died of toximia.
So now I have Ketaro, Mo-mo, Autaumn,Isaac, Mo-mo's three piglets and Sarah's youngest daughter. The guinea piglets will be going to new homes soon, and Isaac will soon resume his duty as class pet. Those are my beloved "piggie pigs."

Huntress of the Secret Forest Pack(Accepting!)
I love Guinea Pigs!!!!

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: The guinea pig

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:26 am

I own a hamster and a rabbit. Never really considered owning a guinea pig. I've had the impression that they can be quite aggressive if they are not handled a lot and that they can become really fierce in their senior years.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Winterwolf1

Post by Winterwolf1 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:34 am

I don't have a guinea pig. Although I have several gerbils.
I had to look after a guinea pig once when the owners were away. It just ran in circles and hid in its box when you tried to pick it up O.o
It was a very cute guinea pig though :3.
Icon made by Sambhur

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:46 am

I use to own a guinea pig when I was about six. Sadly, when we bought him something was wrong, so he only lasted a week. I'm sure he had a tumor or something related to that now that I think about it. Anyways, he was a good pet, even though he only lasted about seven days.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Cheyanne
Pup
Pup

Post by Cheyanne » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:52 am

I've never had a guinea pig, my parents don't like animals like that. phooey. I like some of them though, they can be very cute. Although I think domestic rats are my favorite. Don't look at me like I'm crazy!!
:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:Cheyanne was here:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:
Swimmer and proud. I'm also a wolf.

HeliaHuntress
Pup
Pup

Post by HeliaHuntress » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Well, I guess any type of animal has it's disagreeable individuals, although guinea pigs are useually sweet- tempered.
Maybe you've heard of guinea pigs having agressive behavior towards eachother?
guinea pigs are social animals, and, like wolves, develope a hierarchy. After being with other guinea pigs of the same gender for a while, they will have a dominant male/female. If you introduce 2 dominant guinea pigs, they will fight. There will be biteing, scratching, circling, agressive grunting, and they may even spray urine on each other.
But other than that, guinea pigs rarely fight.

I love Guinea Pigs!!!!

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:38 am

Guinea pigs actually have a social structure? Woah. That's a surprising information but also educational, I never knew that. Thanks for sharing those interesting facts.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

teal-blue
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by teal-blue » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Adding on to what HeliaHuntress mentioned, they also "barber" each other's hair, which I learned when looking up hair loss issues for my rather elderly piggy Zippy. They do this by biting each other's fur off, or, to put it simply, barbering, which is also a show of aggressiveness.

HeliaHuntress
Pup
Pup

Post by HeliaHuntress » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:32 pm

Yeah, but what I think is the coolest thing about guinea pigs as social animals is how much they use sound to communicate, but I don't have time now to discuss it. I will post ASAP!

I love Guinea Pigs!!!!

HeliaHuntress
Pup
Pup

Post by HeliaHuntress » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:56 am

Guinea pigs can squeak, whistle, bark, purr, oink, rumble and more. What's amazing is that each noise means something. For example, they will purr when you rub them in the right spot or, in the case of a male guinea pig, when they see a beautiful female and want to show off. Isaac is always making those noises.

So, lets discuss guinea pig history! YYYAAAYY! This will be fun. For me anyway.lol
Can anyone tell me what country guinea pigs originated in?

I love Guinea Pigs!!!!

Jagg
Pup
Pup
Location: Still lost in Ikea, it's been years ....I have yet to have found anyone.

Post by Jagg » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:03 am

They came from the Andes
i love guinea pigs I have 11 most of them were born in our house though
:mrgreen:

My guinea pig sam http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/ ... WolfXx.jpg
She's my only colourful guinea piggy, the rest are all black
Last edited by Jagg on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
(¨*•.¸(¨*•.¸´•.¸{Jagg}¸.•´¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
¸¸.•*¨*`•..•*¨*`•.¸.
Tonight I'm so alone
This sorrow takes a hold
Don't leave me here so cold
Never want to be so cold

Skillet - Falling inside the black

¸¸.•*¨*`•..•*¨*`•.¸.

fantasia
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: in a garbage can eating your prok rost. ooo extra a banana peel on top

Post by fantasia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:05 am

no guinea pigs just one gerbil and a fish
watch out i might show up at your doorstep and then when you open your door ill eat all your food. WATCH OUT

HeliaHuntress
Pup
Pup

Post by HeliaHuntress » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:03 pm

Right! Yay, somebody knows that guinea pigs came from the Andes, not New Guinea!

So guinea pigs, some believe, decended from the cavia appeara. The furry little critters roamed wild and free... Until the Incas came along. They decided that guinea pigs, or cui, as they were called, were pure of spirit, and therefore perfect for religious ceremonies. They kept them, recent evidence shows, in little holes in the ground that were covered on top. Archeologists have foud mummified guine pigs. Also, they were one of the Inca's only sources of meat.
Today, guinea pigs are still important to South american culture. There is a guinea pig festival held annually. The winners of the race and fashion show are spared from the cooking contest, and the winner of the cooking contest... well, nevermind. Guinea pigs are also involved in family life. As a couple gets married, the brides parents pick their best female cui, and the groom's parents pick their best male cui, and the couple are presented with their new guinea pigs on their wedding day. This is supposed to represent that as they have a long and fruitful marrage, their cui will also have a long and fruitful life, and their piglets will feed them for the rest of their long, fruitful marrage.
Guinea pigs are also helping to improve the lives of those living in poverty were there is not enough food to go around. For the past 30 years, Universities in Peru have been developing the "super guinea pig" , a cavy weighing more than twice the normal guinea pig. They then distibute the male super guinea pigs throughout the villages to mate with the existing females, because which is better, to give a man a fish or teach him how to fish for himself? Bigger pigs means more to eat, an believe it or not, this is saving many lives. Super guinea pig to the rescue!
So, back to the past. Around the early 1500s to late1400s, Europeans came to South America. For the first time, guinea pigs were written about. One conquistador wrote that 100,000 white guinea pigs and 100 llamas were sacrificed in one day.
On their return to Europe, they brought gold, produce, and guinea pigs. The exotic animals were sold as pets for the rich for one English Guinea, a coin. Because of this, and the funny oinking noise they made, they called them guinea pigs. Queen Elizabeth the first owned a guinea pig.
Today there are many guinea pig shows across the world.... and I'll talk about that later. How was your history lesson? :D

I love Guinea Pigs!!!!

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Maia Huntress » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:40 am

This is very interesting stuff Helia. You certainly know lots about guinea pigs! :D

AlbinoWolf6
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by AlbinoWolf6 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:06 am

I did own 2 hamsters until we had to give them away. I wanted to get a guinea pig at one time but never was able to. Anyways, thank you for sharing this info on guinea pigs though!
¸.*¨*`.¸ ωσℓƒQυєѕт cσммυnιту мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
..¸.*¨*`.¸ υn∂ιnє ƒαℓℓѕ ραcк мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
...¸.*¨*`.¸ Avvie by TheGreatAbyss!! Thanks! ¸.*¨*`.¸

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”