General Plants Discussion

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

FiliusWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

General Plants Discussion

Post by FiliusWolf » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey,I figured that since this is supposed to be about wild life, plants fit under that cattegory. And plants are cool. So anyway, anyone know about some cool plants? Post if you do!

For example:

There is a type of native North American plum, although most originated in Asia. They look like nectarines, exept they are only slightly bigger than blueberries. They taste awesome, and are even more sour than warheads! I found some in Florida on vacation. But I still don't know it's name, so if you do, post it!

You probably already know that flower colors can be affected by minerals in the soil. Hydrangas are pink or blue, depending on how acidic the soil is. Then I heard that hybiscus (Those Hawiian flowers on bathing suits) are usually red, pink, peach, or yellow, but if you pour chlorine on them, they turn blue. I onnce put a white crysantemum in a vase full of blue water, and it turned blue! Then I cut a different flower stem in half, putting one in blue and one in red. I got a red white and blue flower! Wicked, right?

You can eat sandspurs, those annoying little balls of pain. First, you burn off the thorns, and probably some fingers in the process. Then you cut open the tiny, burnt little thing, and again, probably some fingers in the process. If you manage to get the little seeds out of it, you can eat them. But there's a chance it's infected with a deadly fungi that will give you hallucinnations for the rest of your life, basically until you go insnane or die. You can eat them, but I wouldnt. Then again, if your starving to death, it could save your life, right?

Yes, I'm a dude who likes plants. Plants are cool. Deal with it.
8)
Last edited by FiliusWolf on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HeliaHuntress
Pup
Pup

Re: plants

Post by HeliaHuntress » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:25 pm

That's somthing new. And you thought guiunea pigs were weird. I don't know many "cool" plants, but thanks for sharing!

Huntress of the Secret Forest Pack(Accepting!)
I love Guinea Pigs!!!!

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Hello FiliusWolf,
There seems to be a topic on plants already (though its fairly old).
Everything Vegitation: Plants, Trees, Flowers
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22874

As for plants, I don't mind them. I don't know a lot about them, but they are quite cool, seeing as theirs tons of different species. ^ ^
Last edited by Alpha Female on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

FiliusWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by FiliusWolf » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:34 pm

See, someone knows plants are cool! take that, Helia!

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Alpha Female wrote:Hello FiliusWolf,
There seems to be a topic on plants already (though its fairly old).
Everything Vegitation: Plants, Trees, Flowers
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22874

As for plants, I don't mind them. I don't know a lot about them, but they are quite cool, seeing as theirs tons of different species. ^ ^
Posting on that topic now would be considered bumping it, the last post was back in 09'. A new topic wouldn't be breaking the rules.

Anyways, my favorite plants have to be rafflesias, titan arums, and the bristlecone pines.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Quite interesting information you have on plants here. ^^
I actually, despite many things, love plants. I would love to take care of them, and even visit a greenhouse someday.

My favorite plant would be the Cactus and the Spider Plant (I think that's what it's called, it's like a plant that has it's leaves sprouting in every direction almost like spider legs.). My favorite flower, is Lavender. Lavender smells really nice, and is also beautiful.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 pm

To be honest, I actually quite like a lot of plants, though I don't have that many favourites as it can vary at times ^^" If I had to choose one favourite plant, it would probably be a Cactus, I use to have a small one when I was younger, and use to take care of it all the time (luckily they don't need much water, so it was ok when I forgot to give it water and such). Plus, I find them to be interesting plants, like with their spikes and water intake.

Anyways, I've just changed the thread title to "General Plants Discussion" just so people know this is a whole discussion for plants.
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

FiliusWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: General Plants Discussion

Post by FiliusWolf » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:40 am

I used to have a venus fly trap. I fed him dragon/damsel flies. His name was Bob Steve Junior. I was little and the other one died, so he was junoir, and I hadn't been able to decide which to name either of the plants, Steve or Bob. Those plants are very interesting, aren't they? Anyone know anything interesting about them?

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:19 pm

I also used to have a venus flytrap, a few actually.
I also forgot to say that cactuses were another one of my favorite plant. I still have a few that I bought around ten years ago, even though they haven't grown much, they grow very slow.

In my opinion, one of the strangest plants is the Welwitschia plant. Here's something I wrote about it on another topic:

Welwitschia
Welwitschia Mirabilis
This unusual plant grows a short, thick woody trunk with only two leaves. As the leaves grow, the wrap around each other, making most people think that there are several more leaves on the plant. Also, the plant strangely grows sideways.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... lis(2).jpg

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:53 am

I use to own a Venus Flytrap quite a while ago, it was really interesting to see them catching flies and such, amazing how you think that it is a carnivorous plant.
Redsky wrote:In my opinion, one of the strangest plants is the Welwitschia plant. Here's something I wrote about it on another topic:
quote]Welwitschia
Welwitschia Mirabilis
This unusual plant grows a short, thick woody trunk with only two leaves. As the leaves grow, the wrap around each other, making most people think that there are several more leaves on the plant. Also, the plant strangely grows sideways.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... lis(2).jpg
[/quote]
Interesting Red, I've never really heard of this Welwitschia plant before, they do sound rather unusual though. Thanks for sharing that quick information with us!
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

FiliusWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by FiliusWolf » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Wow, Redsky, that's really strange. Hey, I'm thinking about getting a cactus. Anyone know a good type to look out for?

Hey, Im feeling historical. Anyone like greek myths? Well, there was a girl who liked Apollo, the sun god. She just stood and watched him travel across the sun each day. Eventually, she began to die. This is likely to happen if you stare at the sun without moving, eating, sleeping, or drinking for days. So Apollo took pity on her and she became a sunflower. That's why sunflowers always face the sun.

Simple, right? But to the greeks, it was wierd. Apparently, most flowers were guys. How strange is that?

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:24 am

FiliusWolf wrote:Wow, Redsky, that's really strange. Hey, I'm thinking about getting a cactus. Anyone know a good type to look out for?

Hey, Im feeling historical. Anyone like greek myths? Well, there was a girl who liked Apollo, the sun Bora Bora. She just stood and watched him travel across the sun each day. Eventually, she began to die. This is likely to happen if you stare at the sun without moving, eating, sleeping, or drinking for days. So Apollo took pity on her and she became a sunflower. That's why sunflowers always face the sun.

Simple, right? But to the greeks, it was wierd. Apparently, most flowers were guys. How strange is that?
Well, it depends on which type of cactus would really catch your eye. The Christmas Cactus I really like, my mom has one, and it's suppose to bloom around that time of year. (in the winter) it's really interesting.

For flower genders, they do not have one. This picture represents the parts of a flower:
http://www2.yk.psu.edu/~sg3/ist311/game ... flower.png

The Stigma is the male part of the flower, while the Anther are the female part of the flower.

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:12 pm

What a cool discussion!
Anyways my favorite plant is probably a Forget me Not, they are so beautiful and I have a whole field of them in my backyard. =)
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:31 pm

Oh, interesting discussion! =D I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to plants since I'm more interested in animals, but I still like just the beauty of some plants out there. When I went to the San Diego Zoo, I found out that their plant collection is worth more than their animal collection! They had every sort of plant from around the world there; if anyone is interested in pictures, I can post a few (though I don't know the names of the plants; I only took pictures because it was scenic^^').

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:42 am

That's quite interesting Kivia, I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures.
Plats I have found quite intriguing parts of nature, there is a lot about them that makes them really special. Since, they are alive yet sometimes seem like an inanimate object - they breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out oxygen.

Again, I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of them. Seeing lots of types of plants from all over the world would be quite an experience.