Dinosaurs

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Fidd/Randy/Bell

Re: Dinosaurs

Post by Riceboy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:59 am

I still love dinosaurs. I used to sleep with plastic ones when I was little, and stuffed ones.

Oh and Land Before Time. Oh gosh that movie. That used to be my favorite.
I could use something to eat.
i am ossan

I'm really, really hungry.

Ffeion
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Name: Ffeion, Red

Post by Ffeion » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:03 am

I loved Land Before Time, well I still do, the first one is the only one I can remember though.
When there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
Icon (C) Riceboy
BITE☆クラブ

sgorr
Pup
Pup
Location: Poking dead things- usually on the side of the road.

Post by sgorr » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Some of my favorite animals, definitely.

My absolute favorite has to be Ceolophysis, one of the first bipedal dinosaurs. Second is the Utahraptor, the largest and most powerful of the raptors.

One thing I feel urged to clear up though is the fact that Velociraptors are really actually small raptors. They stand just about a couple feet at the hips and are more likely to be chasing around Tro-odons than children.

And about what the founder of this topic said about most animals being evolved form dinosaurs, I have to dissagree. Dinosaurs were evolved from semi-warmblooded reptiles which regulated their heat using fins or other methods. Their only direct modern descendants are birds and although they were the dominant species for millions of years, most animals today have no lineage to do with dinosaurs. Small mammals were already around by the time that dinosaurs started to flourish and reptiles, fish, amphibeans, and countless others were already far evolved millions of years prior.
trolololololol

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:37 am

sgorr wrote:And about what the founder of this topic said about most animals being evolved form dinosaurs, I have to disagree. Dinosaurs were evolved from semi-warmblooded reptiles which regulated their heat using fins or other methods. Their only direct modern descendants are birds and although they were the dominant species for millions of years, most animals today have no lineage to do with dinosaurs. Small mammals were already around by the time that dinosaurs started to flourish and reptiles, fish, amphibians, and countless others were already far evolved millions of years prior.
There are too many theories on this to make yours 100% right, or agreeable. Also fixed typos because I'm a grammar nazi.

To get out of this evolution nonsense, do you guys like carnivores or herbivores better?
Personally, I like carnivores much better, which is obvious I guess. Most people seem to love carnivores, though herbivores can be quite interesting.
There is also said to be a dinosaur that could have scientifically blown fire.
i am ossan

Ffeion
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Ffeion » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:09 am

Well, personally I love all kinds, but carnivores have always won over herbivores(literally) with me.
Dinosaur that could have blown fire? =D Dragon? *shot*
Icon (C) Riceboy
BITE☆クラブ

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:17 am

Not sure if it's true, just heard it from somewhere.

Carnivores are hardcore. Some are surprisingly smart while others... Well... Not so much. xD;
i am ossan

Ffeion
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Ffeion » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:27 am

Eh, it probably isn't very true.
/unless the dinosaur had acid in its primary fang and a spark pouch *shot*
anyways,
xD Indeed, the best example would have to be the t-rex, I think it is the t-rex which is generally stupid. Kinda trying to remember something about them from a tv show I watched ages ago, but my memory is horrible xD
Icon (C) Riceboy
BITE☆クラブ

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:24 pm

"I've got a big head... And little arms. D:"

^That.

Well it was some science in its horn. Still not 100% sure. It was a very long time ago.
i am ossan

Swoofzilla
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Swoofzilla » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:06 pm

I think both herbivores and carnivores are equally intense. I don't really prefer one over the other.

Well, I just figured out that Triceratops were proven to never exist. Apparently close relatives of theirs do, but the real ones never lived. That kind of killed my day :/

Ffeion
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Ffeion » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:13 pm

...That kills some childhood memories. D:
Sad, I liked that three-horned dinosaur.
Icon (C) Riceboy
BITE☆クラブ

Starforest
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Starforest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:10 pm

I used to be obsessed, my birthday cakes would have dinosaurs on them. Now I'm not really, but my favorite is the swimming dinosaur with lots of teeth XD I have a toy one of those O.o
Hello, everyone! :3 I'm baaaack!

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:46 pm

Swoofzilla wrote:I think both herbivores and carnivores are equally intense. I don't really prefer one over the other.

Well, I just figured out that Triceratops were proven to never exist. Apparently close relatives of theirs do, but the real ones never lived. That kind of killed my day :/

Awe, that pretty much just ruined my evening :C

My favorite dinosaur is actually a velociraptor. They were pretty raptors 8D
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

Ratlover4194
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: *Everyone collectively groans at Spot's pile of 6.5 billion characters*

Post by Ratlover4194 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:53 pm

Swoofzilla wrote:I think both herbivores and carnivores are equally intense. I don't really prefer one over the other.

Where in the world did you see that?! o.O I don't believe that one bit. Many, many Triceratops specimens have been found, and it is almost as well-studied as the T-rex. It is one of the most well-known dinosaurs and includes some of the best-preserved specimens. And now suddenly it's just... poof, off in fairytale land?? o.o (I'm not trying to be rude to you by any means, but I think whoever put out this information must be either lying or a little cuckoo...) Could you provide us with more information, or a link to where this is said (if there is any such link available), please?
There's a lot of things you need to get across this universe. Warp drive, wormhole refractors... You know the thing you need most of all? You need a hand to hold. - Tenth Doctor
http://trekwolf4194.deviantart.com/

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:16 am

Adalae wrote:Awe, that pretty much just ruined my evening :C

My favorite dinosaur is actually a velociraptor. They were pretty raptors 8D
They're small, tiny but pack a powerful punch in their little, noisy groups.
i am ossan

Swoofzilla
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Swoofzilla » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:31 am

Ratlover4194 wrote:

Where in the world did you see that?! o.O I don't believe that one bit. Many, many Triceratops specimens have been found, and it is almost as well-studied as the T-rex. It is one of the most well-known dinosaurs and includes some of the best-preserved specimens. And now suddenly it's just... poof, off in fairytale land?? o.o (I'm not trying to be rude to you by any means, but I think whoever put out this information must be either lying or a little cuckoo...) Could you provide us with more information, or a link to where this is said (if there is any such link available), please?
I was saying that the original Triceratops is not real. There are close relatives of them that are almost identical, but the body structure and horn position is slightly different. Kosmoceratops and Utahceratops are close relatives, while the Triceratops and Torosaurus were found to be the same dinosaur. The articles are kind of long, but I will post them anyway:

http://news.discovery.com/dinosaurs/tri ... osaur.html
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/22/sc ... iceratops/

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”